Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2017, 11:02 AM   #1
Pentaxian
Sagitta's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Maine
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,937
My K-3 grip has died, anyone know how to troubleshoot it?

I'd noticed my grip was starting to act up for a while - sometimes it would show the batteries as live, sometimes nothing. This had been going on for quite some time, but usually just taking the batteries out and sticking them back in would solve the issue.

I shelved the grip for a while, just loaded it up with freshly charged batteries, and now its acting as if the batteries are completely dead.

I can still use the buttons on the grip - shutter, focus, etc, its just not detecting it actually has batteries in it.

I looked, I'm not seeing any signs of corrosion anywhere, so all I can figure is its shorting somewhere but I don't really have an idea as to where.

Has anybody else run into this and does anyone know a solution?

09-12-2017, 11:13 AM   #2
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 16,030
I had trouble with a grip and the issue was that some of the pins in the grip weren't coming all the way up to contact the camera. Sometimes the pins get bent a little or the springs that push them up don't push them all the way out.

Last edited by Rondec; 09-12-2017 at 11:36 AM.
09-12-2017, 11:17 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 42,840
QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
I'd noticed my grip was starting to act up for a while - sometimes it would show the batteries as live, sometimes nothing. This had been going on for quite some time, but usually just taking the batteries out and sticking them back in would solve the issue.

I shelved the grip for a while, just loaded it up with freshly charged batteries, and now its acting as if the batteries are completely dead.

I can still use the buttons on the grip - shutter, focus, etc, its just not detecting it actually has batteries in it.

I looked, I'm not seeing any signs of corrosion anywhere, so all I can figure is its shorting somewhere but I don't really have an idea as to where.

Has anybody else run into this and does anyone know a solution?
Any chance the battery is in backwards? It's easy to do that on accident and there's nothing physically preventing it.

Also, have you tried cleaning the contacts on the grip?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-12-2017, 01:18 PM   #4
KDD
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2013
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 346
Oh really Grip died?? Check error batteries?

09-12-2017, 02:33 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Scorpio71GR's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Michigan
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,706
Yup I had the same problem. I tried but nothing helped. I ended up getting a used one on Adorama for a good price.
09-12-2017, 04:35 PM   #6
Site Supporter
davidreilly3207's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: South Jersey
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 586
Repaired mine by straightening a bent pin so it would extend all the way out. Very delicate operation. Easy to overcorrect. All pins should be at same height when not connected to camera.
09-13-2017, 04:01 PM   #7
Pentaxian
Sagitta's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Maine
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,937
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Any chance the battery is in backwards? It's easy to do that on accident and there's nothing physically preventing it.

Also, have you tried cleaning the contacts on the grip?
I haven't tried cleaning. Definitely not backwards batteries (I'm using AA's). I'll have to check the pins more closely, I hadn't considered one may have become bent.
09-13-2017, 05:07 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 42,840
QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
I haven't tried cleaning. Definitely not backwards batteries (I'm using AA's). I'll have to check the pins more closely, I hadn't considered one may have become bent.
In addition to this you could test the grip with your D-Li90 tray to see if then it gets recognized. If so, then the AA tray would be the issue. If not, it could be the connectors on the grip or camera, or internal wiring (less likely).


Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-14-2017, 07:25 AM   #9
Pentaxian
Sagitta's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Maine
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,937
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
In addition to this you could test the grip with your D-Li90 tray to see if then it gets recognized. If so, then the AA tray would be the issue. If not, it could be the connectors on the grip or camera, or internal wiring (less likely).
I'll need to see if I can find the D-Li90 attachemnt - never used it so its been shelved somewhere.

Quick silly question, are the pins supposed to be uneven when its off the camera, or are they supposed to be flat? Mine are all over the place as far as how retracted they are when looking at it.


Last edited by Sagitta; 09-14-2017 at 07:39 AM.
09-15-2017, 04:02 PM   #10
Site Supporter
davidreilly3207's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: South Jersey
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 586
QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
Quick silly question, are the pins supposed to be uneven when its off the camera, or are they supposed to be flat? Mine are all over the place as far as how retracted they are when looking at it.
Your varied pin heights seem to match my working grip.
09-15-2017, 08:36 PM   #11
Pentaxian
Arjay Bee's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bamaga, QLD
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,043
My grip plays up from time to time, I 'strum' across the tops of the pins with my thumb a couple of times slightly pushing the pins down each time - comes good - thumb print friction either wipes the tips clear of interference or the contacts on the base of the pins get a bit of a wake up but it only takes a couple of strums to get them happy again. I still have the translucent cover for the pins when the grip is not on the camera so the pins aren't kept open to atmosphere - I think the brass oxidizes a little. Pin heights vary on my grip as well.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
batteries, camera, grip, k-3 grip, pentax help, photography, troubleshooting
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentacon Six TL Troubleshoot Nowhere Matt Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 7 02-06-2017 02:32 PM
Troubleshoot My K-7 Mirror Fault Nowhere Matt Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 3 12-29-2014 12:37 PM
Know anyone who died waiting for Pentax FF? pinholecam Pentax Full Frame 79 03-28-2014 09:30 AM
My 43 1.9 limited has died iņaki Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 3 11-27-2008 04:39 AM
Tripod Troubleshoot...help plez Tingchaleun Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 3 12-30-2007 11:56 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:08 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top