Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2017, 11:02 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My K-3 grip has died, anyone know how to troubleshoot it?

I'd noticed my grip was starting to act up for a while - sometimes it would show the batteries as live, sometimes nothing. This had been going on for quite some time, but usually just taking the batteries out and sticking them back in would solve the issue.

I shelved the grip for a while, just loaded it up with freshly charged batteries, and now its acting as if the batteries are completely dead.

I can still use the buttons on the grip - shutter, focus, etc, its just not detecting it actually has batteries in it.

I looked, I'm not seeing any signs of corrosion anywhere, so all I can figure is its shorting somewhere but I don't really have an idea as to where.

Has anybody else run into this and does anyone know a solution?

09-12-2017, 11:13 AM   #2
Site Supporter

I had trouble with a grip and the issue was that some of the pins in the grip weren't coming all the way up to contact the camera. Sometimes the pins get bent a little or the springs that push them up don't push them all the way out.

Last edited by Rondec; 09-12-2017 at 11:36 AM.
09-12-2017, 11:17 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
I'd noticed my grip was starting to act up for a while - sometimes it would show the batteries as live, sometimes nothing. This had been going on for quite some time, but usually just taking the batteries out and sticking them back in would solve the issue.

I shelved the grip for a while, just loaded it up with freshly charged batteries, and now its acting as if the batteries are completely dead.

I can still use the buttons on the grip - shutter, focus, etc, its just not detecting it actually has batteries in it.

I looked, I'm not seeing any signs of corrosion anywhere, so all I can figure is its shorting somewhere but I don't really have an idea as to where.

Has anybody else run into this and does anyone know a solution?
Any chance the battery is in backwards? It's easy to do that on accident and there's nothing physically preventing it.

Also, have you tried cleaning the contacts on the grip?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-12-2017, 01:18 PM   #4
KDD
Veteran Member

Oh really Grip died?? Check error batteries?

09-12-2017, 02:33 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Yup I had the same problem. I tried but nothing helped. I ended up getting a used one on Adorama for a good price.
09-12-2017, 04:35 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Repaired mine by straightening a bent pin so it would extend all the way out. Very delicate operation. Easy to overcorrect. All pins should be at same height when not connected to camera.
09-13-2017, 04:01 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Any chance the battery is in backwards? It's easy to do that on accident and there's nothing physically preventing it.

Also, have you tried cleaning the contacts on the grip?
I haven't tried cleaning. Definitely not backwards batteries (I'm using AA's). I'll have to check the pins more closely, I hadn't considered one may have become bent.
09-13-2017, 05:07 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I haven't tried cleaning. Definitely not backwards batteries (I'm using AA's). I'll have to check the pins more closely, I hadn't considered one may have become bent.
In addition to this you could test the grip with your D-Li90 tray to see if then it gets recognized. If so, then the AA tray would be the issue. If not, it could be the connectors on the grip or camera, or internal wiring (less likely).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-14-2017, 07:25 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
In addition to this you could test the grip with your D-Li90 tray to see if then it gets recognized. If so, then the AA tray would be the issue. If not, it could be the connectors on the grip or camera, or internal wiring (less likely).
I'll need to see if I can find the D-Li90 attachemnt - never used it so its been shelved somewhere.

Quick silly question, are the pins supposed to be uneven when its off the camera, or are they supposed to be flat? Mine are all over the place as far as how retracted they are when looking at it.

Last edited by Sagitta; 09-14-2017 at 07:39 AM.
09-15-2017, 04:02 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Quick silly question, are the pins supposed to be uneven when its off the camera, or are they supposed to be flat? Mine are all over the place as far as how retracted they are when looking at it.
Your varied pin heights seem to match my working grip.
09-15-2017, 08:36 PM   #11
Pentaxian

My grip plays up from time to time, I 'strum' across the tops of the pins with my thumb a couple of times slightly pushing the pins down each time - comes good - thumb print friction either wipes the tips clear of interference or the contacts on the base of the pins get a bit of a wake up but it only takes a couple of strums to get them happy again. I still have the translucent cover for the pins when the grip is not on the camera so the pins aren't kept open to atmosphere - I think the brass oxidizes a little. Pin heights vary on my grip as well.