Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
09-18-2017, 01:55 AM   #1

Will this lens fit? Tentative browsing.

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

If this is not allowed, please delete.

Recently I was looking at the Sigma 17-70mm lens with F2.8-4, the contemporary DC Macro OS HSM. I was able to find one on eBay, but it isn't saying if it will fit the Pentax K-5, or even Pentax. Usually there is the type of mount. The listing is here:

Sigma DC 17-70mm f/2.8-4 Macro HSM Digital SLR Camera Lens Contemporary Zoom | eBay

Understandably, I'd rather not buy a lens and find out that it doesn't fit my camera. How would I be able to tell from this listing?

09-18-2017, 02:09 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by AislinP Quote
How would I be able to tell from this listing?
Ask the seller

---------- Post added 09-18-2017 at 10:09 AM ----------

How would I be able to tell from this listing?
Ask the seller
09-18-2017, 02:11 AM   #3
Pentaxian

From the limited information given, and the truly atrocious images posted, my take on it would be that it is a Sigma mount, thus not Pentax compatible. You could always ask the vendor for further information, to be absolutely sure, or check on the Sigma site to see of this lens is actually available in Pentax mount. Good luck
09-18-2017, 02:29 AM   #4

Original Poster
Tried to ask the seller and didn't get a response. That was the first thing I did.

09-18-2017, 02:36 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Tried to ask the seller and didn't get a response. That was the first thing I did.
In that case, I would be very wary of dealing with them. Unhelpful listing, unrepresentative images, no communication - not a risk I would like to take.
09-18-2017, 02:55 AM - 1 Like   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
In that case, I would be very wary of dealing with them. Unhelpful listing, unrepresentative images, no communication - not a risk I would like to take.
I'd have to agree.

Anyone with useful knowledge of photographic equipment would state what mount the lens is for, and should provide photos that allow the buyer to assess the condition of the optics and mount. I'd be concerned that this seller doesn't really know what they've got for sale, so can't give a qualified assessment of its condition. Plus, if they're unresponsive before the sale is made, what will they be like if there's a problem with the item and you need to return it?
09-18-2017, 09:15 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That is a perfect example of an eBay listing that you should skip. One photo is uselessly out of focus. The other shows only the lens name but not the mount. The lens elements are not shown. The description is missing any details that the buyer would need. But it has all the details to keep the buyer from getting any money back. The seller does offer free shipping and has 100% feedback but they otherwise are not interested.

You just have to keep looking. Eventually you'll find a much better seller. Unfortunately, listings like this will keep showing up in your search, because the lens won't sell.

09-18-2017, 09:21 AM   #8

It's been tested....what with?
09-18-2017, 09:58 AM - 1 Like   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by spinno Quote
It's been tested....what with?
The sidewalk, of course!

Steve
09-18-2017, 10:26 AM   #10

I have to agree that this Ebay listing is a very bad risk. I wouldn't consider buying that lens for a moment, because of the poor photos which show you very little, and the evasive description. There's plenty more sellers and lenses, you just have to be patient.

I've Ebayed quite a few lenses here in England, and I display quite a few photos and go into detail:
Mechanical condition covers zoom and focus ring action, aperture ring action on older lenses, is there grease on the aperture blades (which slows them up) and do the blades open and close quickly. Any physical damage. (A dent in a filter mount could indicate that the lens has been dropped and there's other damage)
Optical condition covers any marks or scratches (usually on the front element) any fungus growing on or in the lens. I'm currently selling a lens that has some marks in the multicoating on the front element; even though I've mentioned the marks, there's still lots of interest in it. It's a Minolta lens, so not much help to you I suppose.
Paintwork condition covers any scratches or rub marks, the condition of the markings, and is a good guide to the life the lens has led.

There a big difference between "mint" condition and a lens which is "minty". the latter means nothing.

Good luck.

Last edited by Robot camera; 09-18-2017 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Added a bit to make post clearer.
09-18-2017, 10:41 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Price doesn't seem all that amazing anyway.
09-18-2017, 11:21 AM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If this is not allowed, please delete.

Recently I was looking at the Sigma 17-70mm lens with F2.8-4, the contemporary DC Macro OS HSM. I was able to find one on eBay, but it isn't saying if it will fit the Pentax K-5, or even Pentax. Usually there is the type of mount. The listing is here:

Sigma DC 17-70mm f/2.8-4 Macro HSM Digital SLR Camera Lens Contemporary Zoom | eBay

Understandably, I'd rather not buy a lens and find out that it doesn't fit my camera. How would I be able to tell from this listing?
Also this isn't the latest "C" version of the lens, so I would just skip over it at that price.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-18-2017, 12:30 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Honestly, for another $100, you can have a brand new Tamron 17-50. I've owned one of these Sigma 17-70's and I don't know that it's more than half as good as the Tamron, in my personal estimation, your mileage may vary, etc etc.
09-19-2017, 12:10 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Steep price, useless pictures, vague description. Nah.

I once saw an internet ad with a description listing all the mounts that the lens was available in, without mentioning which one it actually was. Lazy, clueless seller copying text found on some random website like Amazon, I guess.
09-19-2017, 12:20 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you were anywhere in Europe you could have mine for that price - the f2.8-4.5 version - somewhat older but also sharper than the newer one. And in excellent shape, I might add...