Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-22-2017, 06:50 AM   #1

How can I apply lens corrections to a pixel shift file?

I cannot find a way to apply lens corrections to a pixel shift file.

09-22-2017, 07:30 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nmccamy Quote
Are you trying to do this with processing software ? I use Silkypix DS Pro7 and can apply the lens corrections to the pixel shift files during raw conversion.
09-22-2017, 10:07 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tell more about your process, OP.
You shoot raw dng? What software do you use?
09-22-2017, 01:06 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nmccamy Quote
Pixel Shift and in-camera lens correction may be used together, but is only possible with JPEG capture or in-camera RAW development to JPEG/TIFF only. Correction in PP for RAW files is available using Pentax Digital Camera Utility (PDCU), for selected Pentax-brand lenses. Adobe Lightroom also provides lens correction for many K-mount lenses, though I believe that one must use Lightroom for the PS processing and merge.

Note that the Lens Correction option in the camera's capture menu is only available for JPEG and then only when a supported lens is mounted (DA, D FA, and FA Limited series lenses).

Is there something beyond these points that you are wanting to do?

BTW...Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-22-2017 at 02:10 PM.
09-22-2017, 10:59 PM   #5

Original Poster
Lens Correction for Pixel Shift Files

Wow! I appreciate the help being offered.

I take the PS (Pixel Shift) file and process it in Digital Camera Utility 5, and output to a TIFF file.
The lens profile of that file cannot be read in Lightroom or Photoshop. Hence, my problem.
DCU5 does a great job, except that lens correction (as far as I know) is not applied.

I downloaded SilkyPix's trial software and found no obvious way for it to process PS files. I contacted them and they said that their software does NOT process PS files. Only DCU5 does that. That made sense to me because the trial software makes no mention of being able to process PS files.

I've heard of several people using SilkyPix's paid software to process PS files, so I'm confused.
09-23-2017, 02:58 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you are editing in DCU then you need to apply the lens corrections there. There should be an option in the right lower quadrant of the screen that says something about lens corrections and it will give you the same options you have on your info screen -- distortion correction, peripheral illumination correction, and chromatic aberrations. You'll have options with most of those to toggle them on and with some a strength to set them at. Apply those before export to your TIFF file and you won't have to worry about it then.
09-23-2017, 05:21 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think I have misled you slightly with Silkypix DS Pro 7 ability to do lens corrections. It can certainly handle the lens distortion corrections with a normal RAW or a PS Raw file. You have 4 options...

Use camera settings (will apply the setting you have set in-camera)
Enable ( will apply the camera's distortion settings irrespective of what you have set in-camera)
Disable (will apply no correction irrespective of what you have set in-camera)
Manual (one slider corrects barrell/pincushion distortion while a second prioritises centre or edge. No camera settings are applied)

There is no facility to use the cameras settings for peripheral illumination or chromatic aberation, although for these Silkypix has it's own tools which work very well

Which of the lens corrections is of most concern to you ?

09-23-2017, 09:58 PM - 1 Like   #8

Original Poster
Original Poster

I figured out my problem! I had removed many of the DCU5 panels thinking I could speed up the super slow program. In doing so, I made myself blind to the lens correction, sharpness, and many other modifiable options. Everything is fine now!