Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2017, 03:33 AM   #1

Recommendations for SD card reader for '16 MacBook Pro for firmware file transfer?

Hi, I need an SD card reader in order to transfer firmware updates from my 2016 MacBook Pro to my Pentax K-70. There are several available on Amazon. Does anybody have a recommendation for a particular model and, conversely, any models to stay away from? Thanks.

09-27-2017, 03:43 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Why not just use a USB cable?

I don't think anything prevents you from attaching the camera directly to the computer, copying the firmware file to the top-level of the card, ejecting the camera (important!), turning off the camera, disconnecting it, and then starting the firmware loading process (power-on while holding a certain button if I remember correctly).
09-27-2017, 04:27 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Why not just use a USB cable?
Because the 2016 MacBook lacks USB 2/3 ports? It's USB-C only. So a USB-C hub is necessary. Or a simple USB-C to USB adapter...

https://www.amazon.com/Apple-USB-C-Adapter-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B06WLGFJ...SIN=B06WLGFJW8
09-27-2017, 07:23 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Joyce Keay Quote
Hi, I need an SD card reader in order to transfer firmware updates from my 2016 MacBook Pro to my Pentax K-70. There are several available on Amazon. Does anybody have a recommendation for a particular model and, conversely, any models to stay away from? Thanks.
The note regarding this firmware update reads as follows: Corrected – Unstable performance may rarely occur in firmware version 1.10.

(Updates from prior versions also included)

After watching the video on how to perform this firmware update (very scary) and reading the note above, I've decided to skip the whole thing. Thanks for your replies.