Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2017, 06:03 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Saliva on sensor -- best cleaning solution?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

YES, I KNOW.
DUMB.

OK, having hopefully circumvented any "you're an idiot" replies, I'd like some advice...
It's a K-x; the sensor has been just fine except for 2 little spots that sometimes show in blank sky and can be photoshopped out... I was investigating the cleaning functions; tried the dust-shake thing, then looked at the mirror lock-up, blew gently into it with the tiniest little "whuf" ... and, you guessed it, splat.

I've had a look around online... some of the discussion seems very overwrought, like a layperson shouldn't ever try to clean their sensor... is it that big a deal to do a quick little swab when you know where the spot is and don't have a lot of dust? (Argh, I shot film for over 30 years & never had such fractious & fragile equipment... )

I'm thinking the 'rocket blower' wouldn't help in this case, there isn't any "dust" as such. I don't like the gel-stick idea because I can see me causing damage. But would a light little swipe with cleaning fluid and a swab be OK? (I do not live anywhere near a camera repair shop, BTW.)
There's a ton of stuff here...
https://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/137-5713145-6467528?url=search-alias%...cleaning+fluid
and what about this,
amazon.com : Camera Sensor Cleaning Swab Type 2 (VSOG DDR15) for APSC Sensor (CCD/CMOS): Package includes 10 X 16mm Cleaning Swabs : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&
I don't want to get some random made-in-China cheap product from eBay or Amazon that isn't any good... but I don't want to spend a fortune either.

So what is the "best" cleaning solution and type of swab to get?
Thanks.

09-28-2017, 06:26 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Something like this will work. Sensor Swab Ultra | Cleaning Digital Cameras
Or, there's the Pentax branded product: Pentax O-ICK1 Image Sensor Cleaning Kit 39357

(Note to self: Do NOT lick your camera's sensor)
09-28-2017, 06:30 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

You will have to do a wet clean. I've had to do a few. I bought some Sensor Swabs. They seemed to work. I expect that any wet cleaner designed for your sensor size will do the trick. I doubt if there is much to say between the different quality brands. Don't cheap out.
09-28-2017, 06:32 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Bummer! Yes, digital is more fragile that film although imagine how fragile a film camera would be if you had to use the same little piece of it for every picture.

Sensor cleaning is not hard or scary, it just takes a bit of care and thought.

You are right that the rocket blower won't do anything and even the gel stick won't help because it's meant for dust and very thin films like a grease smudge from touching a blower brush or lens pen to the sensor surface (which is another thing not to do!).

The challenge with dried on stuff is in first softening or re-liquifying it a bit so it can be wiped off. Using a pretty damp (BUT NOT DRIPPING!!) q-tip and letting a dab of cleaning fluid sit on the spot for a minute is a good start. A bit of light swiping can also help dissolve the spit into the fluid which a dry swab can absorb. Do not be surprised if the first bits of swabbing seem to make a bigger mess but subsequent swabbing with more fresh swabs should dilute the film and eventually lift all of it.

Do make double double sure that you have a fresh, good, well-charged battery. If the power dies while you are swabbing the sensor and the shutter snaps closed on it, it may seriously damage the shutter.

Good luck!

09-28-2017, 07:00 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Do make double double sure that you have a fresh, good, well-charged battery. If the power dies while you are swabbing the sensor and the shutter snaps closed on it, it may seriously damage the shutter.
The K-x uses AA batteries. I always found rechargeable AAs drained quickly while cleaning, and would often have the camera shut down while cleaning with my blower. I never had to contend with anything like this, it will likely take a while. I suggest getting a set of fresh Lithium AAs, they should last the longest.
09-28-2017, 07:50 PM   #6

Good luck and best wishes!
09-28-2017, 09:34 PM - 1 Like   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I still say that has to be one of the BEST product numbers EVER.

O-ICK! I need to clean my sensor!

09-28-2017, 09:47 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions.
Holy crap... buying in Canada, these swabs are $5 EACH????
The "Eclipse" fluid seems fairly inexpensive, but the swabs are crazy. I take it "pec pads" are something different and not for sensors. And is any brand of Type 2 swab OK, or are some likely to be poorer quality?

Bummer! Yes, digital is more fragile that film although imagine how fragile a film camera would be if you had to use the same little piece of it for every picture.
Heh... like, the shutter button? or the mirror mechanism?
Geez, you could hammer nails with a K1000 (and a camera repair guy once told me he met someone who did, when I said that)...none of this nonsense...

The challenge with dried on stuff is in first softening or re-liquifying it a bit so it can be wiped off. Using a pretty damp (BUT NOT DRIPPING!!) q-tip and letting a dab of cleaning fluid sit on the spot for a minute is a good start. ...
OK, good idea. But, wouldn't a q-tip introduce bits of lint?
I've seen a few product reviewers claim it made a bigger mess. So it sounds like I should have a lot of swabs
Thanks also for the battery tip. I had read that too in my googling, about damage from the shutter closing. Sheesh. I have Eneloops so I think that should be OK if I put freshly charged ones in. Surely it can't take THAT long!!!

...sigh... I don't need one more thing around this house crapping out on me...

Last edited by Alliecat; 09-28-2017 at 09:59 PM.
09-28-2017, 11:40 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
...I use disposable glass cleaning swipes, on the tip of an old plastick fidelity card cut to size (the longest of the two dimensions of the sensor).
Works a charm, and is inexpensive.
09-30-2017, 03:33 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Saliva is polar (Google polar and non-polar substances) because it is organic and water based. Consequently it can be removed with polar substances like water. Don't be afraid the sensor is quite a robust piece of technology and a (user) serviceable part manufacturers need to be able to clean as much as you do.

To remove dried on saliva dab a bit of water on it to loosen the spittle but not so much as to drown the sensor, best to use distilled water, and then wipe with a damp swipe only ever in one direction and finally buff dry with a new swipe. Water will NOT harm the sensor !
10-01-2017, 09:46 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
"Eclipse" fluid seems to have the best reputation. I'll probably get that.
But CAN I use a q-tip or should I really get a "proper" swab?
10-01-2017, 11:29 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Eclipse - save your money.

Eclipse is either Methanol or Ethanol. It is unlikely to be Methanol as it is chemical derived and poisonous. Go to your local Pharmacy and buy a new clean eye dropper bottle and have them fill it with Ethanol. Your pharmacist will most likely only have Ethanol as it is used by compounding pharmacies for medical purposes.

Eclipse merchants sell Ethanol because it is polar, like water is and therefore suitable for sensor cleaning because dirt on your sensor usually is organic. By the way Ethanol contains a small amount of water too.

So Ethanol will do exactly the same as water does as a sensor cleaner. The thing is, it is very hard to marked and sell distilled water in a .5ml bottle for 20 or thirty dollars.

Cut a strip off an old credit card about as wide as the sensor, go to your local optometrist and get for free a cleaning cloth, cut a strip the same width long enough to drape it over the plastic strip one end and hold the other end between you fingers. You can get into a new fresh part of the cloth by slightly shifting it. Easy.

My pharmacist only charged me for the bottle as Ethanol is so cheap he did not know how much to charge for this small amount.

For sensor cleaning the only difference between water and Ethanol is the rate of evaporation. When you use water you need the dry off he sensor with a clean dry swab but don't forget this is not a problem as you will only use water very sparingly.

Trust me, water will do the trick.

Last edited by Schraubstock; 10-01-2017 at 11:49 PM. Reason: typo
10-02-2017, 06:39 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you for the suggestions... good to know about water vs. ethanol. I do remember some high school chemistry about polar vs. non polar... a bit!
Alas, the nearest optometrist and the nearest compounding pharmacy are both a 5 hour round trip away. ...yep, really.
10-02-2017, 08:15 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's a bummer.

But you don't need Ethanol. Get some distilled water from the supermarket, surely you must have that available to you ?
I have not needed to wet clean any of my sensors recently but I have done plenty of wet cleans with water for others who don't look after their gear as well as I do and I know of members in this forum who have used water with great success.

When you think about it there is no reason why it should not work.

Just dampen a swipe the same way you would dampen it with Ethanol, then wipe with a gentle pressure from left to right (ore right to left) but not back and forth, because if what is on the sensor is not totally removed with the first wipe by going back the other way with the same swipe you will only spread the crap. When it is done use a new dry wipe to dry of the surface. There is no big scary science involved.

I use an old swap from where I have removed the spent fabric and then I drape over it a strip of "Lint Free Micro Fibre Cloth". Can be obtained on flea-bay. The pack will last you at least two life times. See the pic below. Cut the strip a bit longer if you must. You hold it over the plastic with your thumb and index finger and it gives you a new clean cleaning edge by shifting the strip of cloth up or down.

I can't explain it any better. Trust me it DOES work.

Last edited by Schraubstock; 12-09-2017 at 05:21 PM.
10-05-2017, 07:35 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I did understand your explanation -- thanks for your efforts. Indeed, my first thought would've been to swab it with a wet q-tip! But I decided to look it up before I did anything, which is how I ended up asking here. It doesn't seem like it should be that big a deal. I mean, as long as you don't dribble in the wrong place or make it too wet, and dry it off. Will have a go when I get a little time.