Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2017, 08:33 AM   #16
Forum Member

I typically used either a 28mm or 35mm on crop body when I shot car shows. I started out with the Sigma 10-20, but I didn’t like the perspective distortion it created even at 20.

10-08-2017, 10:09 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Options not yet mentioned, all primes, the Samyang 10mm, 14mm, and 16mm primes. All fast, have been around for a few years at least so used copies are out there, and all offer a wide aperture for low-light and depth of field control. All are manual focus, so be aware.
My brother uses the Samyang 10mm on a K-r. He reports focusing is not that hard. He knows by now to set the focus ring at a particular distance for the typical shot of the car filling the frame. That works unless he goes from a Pierce Arrow to a Lotus Elan. Because it's so wide and he doesn't have anything else between that and the 18-55, it's easy to pick out his 10mm shots.
10-08-2017, 11:38 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hello,
I had exactly the same question few months ago and I have had good advices by the other members and finally I got there with my HD 15ltd (5% of pictures taken), the HD 20-40 ltd (85% of pictures taken) and the FA*85(10%).
It was my first time in an indoor car show and you can check some of the results in my gallery (Hope it helps).
Problem I encountered: Some colors don't help the AF, and I had issue wit some fast rotating cars on their stand.
Try also to take pictures (if allowed) at your local car seller.
Good luck.
Kind regards.
J.
10-08-2017, 02:53 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a DA 16-45 lens, a DA* 16-50 lens and the Sigma 10-20 lens. For our purposes, I would suggest the Sigma as I think you would need all the width you could get when at a car show. You just cannot get far enough away without distractions to the shot with anything narrower. Good luck.