Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2017, 05:36 AM   #1

Aperture on Samyang 14mm

I have just bought a Samyang 14mm for my K1, as it is full frame. However, unable to find one available, I ordered from Poland. No problem at all, good price, and the lens arrived today, only four days later. However, by mistake I had ordered the video lens, which has accurate apertures (ie T3.1 rather than F2.8). I've tried a couple of photos and it works fine, pictures look good. The problem is that the aperture won't stop down. It does work with the lens off-camera, the blades open and close very smoothly. I have compared it with other lenses, and the back looks the same, with the red dot in the same position and the little lever to operate the aperture exactly the same. Anyone got any ideas? I would still use the lens, but only wide open, which is a bit limiting and not such good quality.

10-09-2017, 08:56 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The photo version of this lens does have an A setting on the aperture ring to enable the use of automated modes like Av, TAv... and to be able to adjust the aperture from the camera. I don’t know if the video version also has this setting. If it doesn’t you can still use it in M (manual) mode by using the green button for metering. Just make sure you have „Using Aperture Ring“ enabled. You will find the setting in the menu C4 number 26.
10-09-2017, 09:32 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alpheios Quote
The photo version of this lens does have an A setting on the aperture ring to enable the use of automated modes like Av, TAv... and to be able to adjust the aperture from the camera. I don’t know if the video version also has this setting. If it doesn’t you can still use it in M (manual) mode by using the green button for metering. Just make sure you have „Using Aperture Ring“ enabled. You will find the setting in the menu C4 number 26.
Thanks SO MUCH! The aperture setting was enabled, as I have another lens with an aperture ring. However, the green button works fine. It stops down the lens for a second or so and alters the length of exposure appropriately. What a relief!
10-09-2017, 05:29 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I believe the Rokonon version of the lens is available from both B&H and Adorama I think Elite brands is the name of the parent company and they make the lens under multiple labels

10-09-2017, 11:07 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rr1736 Quote
I believe the Rokonon version of the lens is available from both B&H and Adorama I think Elite brands is the name of the parent company and they make the lens under multiple labels
Thanks. Unfortunately (?) I live in England, and a week ago they were all 'on order'. I've no problem ordering from Poland, this is the second one I've bought from there, and there's no tax to pay when they arrive. It was my silly mistake that I ordered the wrong one, but all's well that ends well. When I come to America again next year I might lash out on a cheaper lens from there.
10-10-2017, 12:11 PM   #6

Original Poster
Took it out on the K1 today for its first proper spin. It obviously feels different from any still lens I've used, in that there are no click stops for the aperture. However I'm delighted with the results, and only forgot to press the green button once! The definition is very good indeed, only a small amount of sharpening necessary, and the tiny bit of vignetting is easily sorted by doing it manually with RAW and Photoshop. I'm not faffing around with proper lens profiles. If this had been a Pentax lens costing twice the price I'd have been happy. Oh, some people criticise the lens cap, but the front element is HUGE, and the cap clips on really safely, no chance of it coming off without pressing the sides, so I was able to put it on my rucksack with no worries.
10-10-2017, 01:57 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wait, the cine version of this lens does not have an A setting on the aperture ring?? I have a non-cine version and it works like DA lens, only without AF. You have little button on aperture ring, set it to A, then leave it there. This allows the camera to choose the aperture, so you have full access to P, Av, and other modes.
I don't have the cine version of that lens, but if it does not have A on aperture ring, I would definitely try to return it. the focusing ring is not comfortable (jagged for action follow focus), the aperture is in T instead of F..
You can get this lens under many names, Samyang, Rokinon, Bower, ProOptic, Walimex.. should be around 240euro or less.
10-10-2017, 10:09 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for your comment. I know I probably should return it, but I'm not a 'returner' if the mistake was mine in the first place. The lens is excellent, and it's just one more easy step to take. I normally use AV anyway, so this is set on the lens rather than the camera, and I'm fine with that.

10-11-2017, 06:31 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Its nice that you own up your mistake. But you can still message the shop and just ask what the possibilities for an exchange for non cine version are.
Oh, and make sure your copy is not decentered. A lot of the early non-cine 14mm had decentering issues, where one half of the frame, or one edge of the frame never gets sharp. So if your lens is optically perfect, that is an argument for keeping it. Just use widest aperture, near minimum focus, and take photos of various objects to see if one edge is always terrible and never seems to sharpen up, regardless of focusing or aperture
10-12-2017, 11:17 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestion, which I acted on. I was pretty sure it was OK - it's not an 'early' lens, but the same as the still version, except that it's cine! So today I photographed a brick wall, close-up, with the lens wide open (passers-by must have thought I was mad!). The focus is good corner to corner. I took three more scenes at around f5.6 - I'd rarely use it wide open anyway - and looked closely. They are fine too. So I'm keeping it. On today's expedition I also took out the 28-105, the 14mm won't be an everyday lens, and took around 50 shots with the zoom lens. 28mm was as wide as I needed to go almost all the time. Thanks again.