Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2017, 07:35 AM   #1

Chinon CP-9AFautofocus lens, Pentax digital SLR compatibilty

I recently bought a 1988 era Chinon CP-9AF, with a 28mm-75mm autofocus zoom lens. As most will be aware this camera has the Pentax k-mount: however, I am not sure of the "flavour" of the mount. The autofocus is clearly by a motor in the lens, not in the camera body. In contrast, from the following link it seems that Pentax digital SLRs did not get "in-lens" autofocus until the KAF3 mount, in 2007: The Evolution of the Pentax K-mount - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com.

My questions are:
- Will my 1988 era Chinon 28mm-75mm autofocus zoom lens actually autofocus if used on a modern Pentax mount (KAF3 (or later)?
- Will the program exposure modes of my 1988 era Chinon 28mm-75mm autofocus zoom lens work with a modern Pentax mount?

I can hardly believe that Chinon anticipated in 1988 what Pentax were going to implement with the lens mount in 2007. I suspect I shall be able to use the Chinon lens on a modern Pentax SLR but will have to manually focus. I hope, however, that the exposure modes (there are 3 of them) will still work correctly.

Thanks in advance for any helpful responses to these questions.

10-11-2017, 09:16 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
Can you post a picture of the lens and mount?

The Chinon AF lenses I'm seeing on ebay have a very different electrical contact scheme from normal AF k-mount. I wouldn't expect anything to work outside of manual mode, and if the Chinon contacts are in the same place that Pentax now puts power contacts (KAF2+), you could even damage something.
10-11-2017, 09:55 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zjacreman Quote
Can you post a picture of the lens and mount?

The Chinon AF lenses I'm seeing on ebay have a very different electrical contact scheme from normal AF k-mount. I wouldn't expect anything to work outside of manual mode, and if the Chinon contacts are in the same place that Pentax now puts power contacts (KAF2+), you could even damage something.
Thanks for replying. I think the following "For Sale" item on the web would provide the information you requested.

Chinon CP-9AF set complete 2 lenses and flash unit . Rare to find in nice condition with manual. – Wide Angle

I think you are correct about needing to manually focus. However, according to the Butkus website (for which I have high regard!) the lens should not damage a modern Pentax SLR.

Untitled
10-11-2017, 10:30 AM   #4

I was thinking more about damaging the lens by putting power through the wrong contacts. But it looks like the Chinon contacts are in a different part of the mount relative to the aperture lever than the power contacts on KAF2. So, I wouldn't anticipate that kind of problem.

But Pentax bodies won't be able to read the focal length, min. aperture etc. data from the lens. It should appear 100% manual to the camera.

It looks like there's no aperture ring on the Chinon, so that's a bummer. I hope it looks good wide-open.

10-11-2017, 12:13 PM   #5

Original Poster
I was thinking more about damaging the lens by putting power through the wrong contacts. But it looks like the Chinon contacts are in a different part of the mount relative to the aperture lever than the power contacts on KAF2. So, I wouldn't anticipate that kind of problem.

But Pentax bodies won't be able to read the focal length, min. aperture etc. data from the lens. It should appear 100% manual to the camera.

It looks like there's no aperture ring on the Chinon, so that's a bummer. I hope it looks good wide-open.
Thanks for the information. Yes, if you are correct my lens looks to be of limited value with a modern Pentax digital SLR.

Curiously, the Butkus article says: "Not to really confuse you... BUT if you want a new lens.. any K mount auto focus lens will also fit and work on a Chinon in program mode!... you just have to manually focus". So, according to that, program mode will work for Pentax K mount auto focus lenses on a Chinon but NOT for this Chinon K mount auto focus lens on a Pentax. Sometimes life gets confusing.
10-12-2017, 05:53 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As a Chinon Cp-7, CP-5 and KSX-P user, I can attest that any K-mount lens, Pentax M, Pentax A, or Ricoh P, etc. does infact work in Program mode on the CP series and Sears KSX-P, you just have to set the lens apature at the Minimum IE f16 or f22, you can also set it to a lower number if your situation requires less depth of field.
This is the one area where Chinon got the better solution compaired to Pentax and Ricoh.
10-13-2017, 11:25 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kneemeister Quote
As a Chinon Cp-7, CP-5 and KSX-P user, I can attest that any K-mount lens, Pentax M, Pentax A, or Ricoh P, etc. does infact work in Program mode on the CP series and Sears KSX-P, you just have to set the lens apature at the Minimum IE f16 or f22, you can also set it to a lower number if your situation requires less depth of field.
This is the one area where Chinon got the better solution compaired to Pentax and Ricoh.
Thanks for that information.

However, I am still a bit confused. I just mounted a Pentax-M lens on my CP-9AF and my pressing of the "P-corner" on the control pad does not display the usual "P options (P, Pc and Pa) on the LCD. I can select the other options (B, M and A).

So it seems that, at least on my camera, the P-options are not selectable.
I am really new to this camera so maybe I am misunderstanding what is going on :-).
10-13-2017, 12:42 PM   #8

M-series lenses don't have an A setting on the ring. The aperture can't be controlled from the body, so you can only use Av or M. Only A-series or newer lenses can be used with program modes.

10-13-2017, 01:43 PM   #9

Original Poster
M-series lenses don't have an A setting on the ring. The aperture can't be controlled from the body, so you can only use Av or M. Only A-series or newer lenses can be used with program modes.
Many thanks! That confirms it.
Thanks again for responding.
10-13-2017, 05:40 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxis Quote
Many thanks! That confirms it.
Thanks again for responding.
The CP 9 is an orphan camera as very few lenses were made for it and according to the Manual it only works in Program with KA amd CAF lenes.

Generic, RK, K and M lenses do work in Program mode on the CP 5 and CP 7 hence there are no P or A Chinon lenses, but both those camera have P mode. And the Sears KSX-P is labeled Dual 2 Program.

This is from the CP7m manual:
Programmed AE Signal and Aperture Setting

Unlike other program cameras, the CP-7m functions perfectly with "K" (even "KA" or "RK") mount lenses even in program mode. Generally, you
should set the aperture at its minimum seeing. Although you can take a perfectly exposed picture at any aperture setting, the applicable
programmed range is limited. The program AE signal LED is useful to check the lens aperture seeing for program modes. The programmed AE
viewfinder LED for P. PA or PC in use will "flicker" when the lens aperture is within four stops of the full maximum aperture. Set the aperture
within the range so that the programmed AE signal LED will not "flicker". On the other hand, if you would not stop down any further than a
particular f/stop, simply set the aperture ring to the desired aperture.
I have a K 3.5 28 on my CP-5 right now and Program mode works perfectly

So it looks like Chinon took a backwards step when designing the CP-9AF

Last edited by kneemeister; 10-13-2017 at 06:22 PM.
10-14-2017, 06:48 AM   #11
Pentaxian

The lenses designed for the CP-9 work only on the CP-9, unfortunately. Chinon were very keen on getting into the AF game, with their early AF lenses having infra red focusing systems built in! These are fun and will work on any K-mount camera as long as their bulk doesn't foul the mirror box overhang (their mounts are M series equivalent).
The CP-9 was their first SLR with the AF sensor built into the body, but since Pentax KAF hadn't really got going by that stage, Chinon went for their own set of contacts with Canon-style in lens focus motors. However, KAF soon appeared and the CP-9 was essentially orphaned along with its lenses as it had no screw drive focus, the wrong contacts and no aperture ring. Chinon got into the digital camera market pretty early but were bought out by Kodak quickly, and the rest is history.
10-14-2017, 10:22 AM   #12

Original Poster
The CP 9 is an orphan camera as very few lenses were made for it and according to the Manual it only works in Program with KA amd CAF lenes.

Generic, RK, K and M lenses do work in Program mode on the CP 5 and CP 7 hence there are no P or A Chinon lenses, but both those camera have P mode. And the Sears KSX-P is labeled Dual 2 Program.

This is from the CP7m manual:
Programmed AE Signal and Aperture Setting

Unlike other program cameras, the CP-7m functions perfectly with "K" (even "KA" or "RK") mount lenses even in program mode. Generally, you
should set the aperture at its minimum seeing. Although you can take a perfectly exposed picture at any aperture setting, the applicable
programmed range is limited. The program AE signal LED is useful to check the lens aperture seeing for program modes. The programmed AE
viewfinder LED for P. PA or PC in use will "flicker" when the lens aperture is within four stops of the full maximum aperture. Set the aperture
within the range so that the programmed AE signal LED will not "flicker". On the other hand, if you would not stop down any further than a
particular f/stop, simply set the aperture ring to the desired aperture.
I have a K 3.5 28 on my CP-5 right now and Program mode works perfectly

So it looks like Chinon took a backwards step when designing the CP-9AF
Wow! Thanks for all that info, I am learning more and more since i started this thread. I do find it all somewhat complicated. My cameras hitherto have been Pentax. From that experience I had always assumed that to have a Pentax lens work on a Pentax camera with a programmed function one needed a Pentax-A lens. All my lenses up until now have been Pentax-M flavour. From what you say (if I have understood it correctly) my current Pentax-M lenses if fitted to a Chinon CP-5 or CP-7 would work under programmed mode. I wish I had known that a month ago! :-)

In my enthusiasm for my recently acquired CP-9AF, which I bought for a song, I just ordered a second one, with the 28mm-70mm and 200mm lenses. I bought mainly because the vendor was selling very cheaply and I thought it would be worth having the 200mm lens. Unfortunately, I am now beginning to doubt the wisdom of this second purchase. Still, it will be fun!

---------- Post added 10-14-17 at 10:44 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by edmundrt Quote
The lenses designed for the CP-9 work only on the CP-9, unfortunately. Chinon were very keen on getting into the AF game, with their early AF lenses having infra red focusing systems built in! These are fun and will work on any K-mount camera as long as their bulk doesn't foul the mirror box overhang (their mounts are M series equivalent).
The CP-9 was their first SLR with the AF sensor built into the body, but since Pentax KAF hadn't really got going by that stage, Chinon went for their own set of contacts with Canon-style in lens focus motors. However, KAF soon appeared and the CP-9 was essentially orphaned along with its lenses as it had no screw drive focus, the wrong contacts and no aperture ring. Chinon got into the digital camera market pretty early but were bought out by Kodak quickly, and the rest is history.
Thanks for that extra information.There is only one point on which you might, hopefully, be in error: namely, the CP-9AF lens I have (28mm-70mm) fits my Pentax MG and apparently will work (albeit only at full aperture) under aperture priority and manual modes.
10-14-2017, 04:48 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have all three of the K mount program cameras and the slimed down versions, Chinon CP-5, Pentax Super Program, Program Plus and Ricoh XR-P and KR-30sp. The XR-P, still uses the old fashioned shutter speed dial which would make it my favorite of the era; The KR-30Sp was the camera I bought as a graduation present to myself but, the Ricoh electronics are no longer reliable after 30 years (I have had several Ricoh bodies, just die in the middle of a roll). The Super Program is the flashiest and has the best build quality, But the CP-5, even with its plasticy feel. is the Program K mount that I use most often, I like the battery grip with AAA batteries or AA in the winder. and its very easy to use interface, and viewfinder info. And they just keep working. And the CP-7m is almost like a manual focus version of the CP-9AF and is also a great camera better than the A3000
The CP-9AF is one of those strange early dead ends, A simular situation is the Yashica 230AF, its a great camera, I like it alot, but you basicly have a choice of two lenes.

Last edited by kneemeister; 10-14-2017 at 04:55 PM.
10-14-2017, 05:34 PM   #14

Original Poster
I have all three of the K mount program cameras and the slimed down versions, Chinon CP-5, Pentax Super Program, Program Plus and Ricoh XR-P and KR-30sp. The XR-P, still uses the old fashioned shutter speed dial which would make it my favorite of the era; The KR-30Sp was the camera I bought as a graduation present to myself but, the Ricoh electronics are no longer reliable after 30 years (I have had several Ricoh bodies, just die in the middle of a roll). The Super Program is the flashiest and has the best build quality, But the CP-5, even with its plasticy feel. is the Program K mount that I use most often, I like the battery grip with AAA batteries or AA in the winder. and its very easy to use interface, and viewfinder info. And they just keep working. And the CP-7m is almost like a manual focus version of the CP-9AF and is also a great camera better than the A3000
The CP-9AF is one of those strange early dead ends, A simular situation is the Yashica 230AF, its a great camera, I like it alot, but you basicly have a choice of two lenes.
Many, many thanks for such interesting information! I had been buying too many cameras and thought I had cured myself of that trait. But now I have discovered the Chinon "line" I am back into my evil ways again! :-)

Thank you, again.