Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2017, 11:59 AM   #1

K5IIs broken?

Hi All,

Two weeks ago, I went to photograph some stars with friends. On site, I turned on the K5IIs, noticed the f/ and time changing on the screen wildly, but didn't stop. Instead, I took off the 16-50 lens, put an old 135mm manual on, changed to M and happily took pics.

Yesterday, we came back from a vacation to Italy. I had taken the K5IIs, but was unable to take pictures. Here's what it does:

When you switch it on with it set to anything but M, the time and f-stop numbers change between two states, and some other things on the screen change, too. I have filmed it, here it is on Youtube:

What I have tried, to no avail:
- Reset
- Cleaned the contacts on mount and lens
- Tried different lens (the 18-something that came with the K10D)
- Firmware update (1.05 to 1.07)
- Another reset, you never know

Has anyone seen this before? What's the verdict?

THanks!
Jan

10-12-2017, 12:10 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like it could be a stuck button (maybe the AF/MF switch), or the mount is being shorted.

Does the same thing happen with no lens mounted?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-12-2017, 12:25 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Sounds like it could be a stuck button (maybe the AF/MF switch), or the mount is being shorted.

Does the same thing happen with no lens mounted?
Good call! If I take off the lens, all is normal, indeed.

There is a sort of "snap" noise when I set the AF/MF button on the camera from "MF" back to "C" while the pin comes out of the mount.

When I set it to MF and pop the lens back on, the "MF" in the display stops flashing, but the time, f-stop, ISO, and the matrix still do.

[edit]: with either the body or the lens set to MF, I can actually take pictures.

---------- Post added 10-12-17 at 08:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jexner Quote

There is a sort of "snap" noise when I set the AF/MF button on the camera from "MF" back to "C" while the pin comes out of the mount.

When I set it to MF and pop the lens back on, the "MF" in the display stops flashing, but the time, f-stop, ISO, and the matrix still do.

[edit]: with either the body or the lens set to MF, I can actually take pictures.
After checking the MF/AF switch, I tried the kit lens again (the 18-55), and it works.

That means the 16-50 is broken, I guess. AAAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!

Last edited by jexner; 10-12-2017 at 12:27 PM. Reason: forgot one thing
10-12-2017, 12:46 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

---------- Post added 10-12-17 at 08:45 PM ----------

After checking the MF/AF switch, I tried the kit lens again (the 18-55), and it works.

That means the 16-50 is broken, I guess. AAAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!
I'd say it's possible that there's some problem with the switch. I believe there are other threads in which users have reported the same issue (after a lot of use).

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-12-2017, 01:10 PM   #5

Original Poster
I'd say it's possible that there's some problem with the switch. I believe there are other threads in which users have reported the same issue (after a lot of use).
Thanks, Adam, for the help and suggestions!

I don't know how I didn't notice before, but it is absolutely the lens. It must have dropped (even though I cannot remember having dropped it).

The good news is that the body is alright, I guess.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Nexus 6  Photo 
10-12-2017, 01:22 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Thanks, Adam, for the help and suggestions!

I don't know how I didn't notice before, but it is absolutely the lens. It must have dropped (even though I cannot remember having dropped it).

The good news is that the body is alright, I guess.
Let's hope that's the case! If the shaft was engaged when you dropped it, then it could have also affected the part on the body.

Adam

10-12-2017, 01:40 PM   #7

Original Poster
Let's hope that's the case! If the shaft was engaged when you dropped it, then it could have also affected the part on the body.
Ouch, indeed.

And it wouldn't make a difference with the 18-55, as it is a non-SDM, correct?

10-12-2017, 03:35 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Right.

Adam

10-12-2017, 06:32 PM   #9
Pentaxian

One time I tried to shoot and I did not have my lens fully screwed on. The full control was not there until I realized I had to screw the lens on just a bit more (until you hear the click distinctly). As soon as I had achieved full contact, both the camera and lens behaved normally.