Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2017, 09:48 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Fix for blocked photos on Photobucket

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this post, so mods, feel free to move it if necessary.

By now, we're all aware of the of Photobucket's money-grabbing decision to block embedding of photos without paying them a hefty ransom. There's now an extension for the Chrome Web browser that will do an end-run around Photobucket's block. Just click this link to install it. The extension works like a charm to unblock previously blocked photos, although they're still blocked on other people's computers unless they install the extension. So yeah, from that standpoint, it's an imperfect workaround but it's free and worth every penny.

10-15-2017, 11:40 AM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice! Looks like there's also a firefox version:

Photobucket Fixer :: Add-ons for Firefox

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-15-2017, 11:56 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My workaround was to leave Photobucket, though it was because they messed up something else, a few years ago.
10-15-2017, 12:22 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by E-man Quote
I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this post, so mods, feel free to move it if necessary.

By now, we're all aware of the of Photobucket's money-grabbing decision to block embedding of photos without paying them a hefty ransom. There's now an extension for the Chrome Web browser that will do an end-run around Photobucket's block. Just click this link to install it. The extension works like a charm to unblock previously blocked photos, although they're still blocked on other people's computers unless they install the extension. So yeah, from that standpoint, it's an imperfect workaround but it's free and worth every penny.

Why even go to the hassle of finding a work around for Photobucket why not go to a site like Flickr which has loads of free storage?

Larry

10-15-2017, 03:26 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Or Smugmug. https://www.smugmug.com/ While it is not free, it isn't expensive, for what you get. A$72 per year for a Power account, which gives you the ability to really customise your front page and also merchandise if required. I've been with them for maybe 14 years, never had an issue. They were free in the early days, and I joined purely for the ability to post on forums. I certainly don't mind paying upfront, because nothing worth having is REALLY free.

Last edited by ranmar850; 10-15-2017 at 03:29 PM. Reason: and another thing...
10-15-2017, 07:59 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Why even go to the hassle of finding a work around for Photobucket why not go to a site like Flickr which has loads of free storage?
There are many threads here (and elsewhere on the web) with photos already linked from Photobucket. These images no longer appear in the thread if the poster refused to pay the Photobucket ransom. This add-on fixes it for the viewer.

I don't think anyone is suggesting to use this as a workaround to host images on Photobucket for free in the future.
10-15-2017, 08:21 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
There are many threads here (and elsewhere on the web) with photos already linked from Photobucket. These images no longer appear in the thread if the poster refused to pay the Photobucket ransom. This add-on fixes it for the viewer.

I don't think anyone is suggesting to use this as a workaround to host images on Photobucket for free in the future.
Exactly. Photobucket won't ever get a penny from me and any photos I embed going forward will be hosted elsewhere. I didn't even set out hunting for this particular extension. I just stumbled across a mention of it in another forum. I just shared it because I felt like stickin' it to tha man, as they used to say.
10-15-2017, 10:37 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Excellent, many thanks for this.

I only occasionally used Photobucket (for things I didn't want in my Flickr stream) but now I won't post anything there due to their decision to f*ck over their users in this way.

10-16-2017, 02:09 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Good idea, but it doesn't actually fix the problem for the person wanting to share their images. So it's either: a) hope that the whole world installs this extension, or b) find another host
10-16-2017, 06:35 AM   #10
eva
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Works fine.I can see all Photobucket published(and blocked) photos now.In the future, I do not mean to use photobucket again!

It's O.K. that the already published photos are visible again!
10-26-2017, 04:28 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

I haven't tried the extension that Adam linked for Firefox but I have installed this one:

Photobucket Hotlink Fix :: Add-ons for Firefox

Which seems (so far to work fine). It is multi-process compatible for Firefox 57+ .