Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2017, 04:17 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Preserving Image Quality

I took some shots yesterday that I have been experimenting with. I have tried about 30 different ways to export the JPEGs from Lightroom and it's starting to irritate me. I have tried all sorts of stuff and I am pretty much lost.

Exactly how am I supposed to export (specifically) from Lightroom so that my images will not degrade when I upload them?

I tried uploading the photos to the forum directly but the image quality is still not satisfactory for me. On my screen it's sharp, but the minute I upload that sharpness goes down a lot. The same thing happens when I upload to Flickr and try to link to the image.

10-15-2017, 04:36 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PF places limits on image size (= total pixels and pixel edge count), both of which are substantially lower than what the camera records. Difficult to maintain IQ with such restrictions. If it is any consolation, to my eye my own images, after posting, look as though I've gone back five generations of camera improvement and three decades in time to an early P&S digital.
10-15-2017, 04:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
as WPRESTO mentioned. The problem is not how you export to jpg. PF has to limite upload file size.
I post images mainly on Instagram or my own blog first, then copy the image URL to post here. When you insert a photo, you can copy/paste an image url in the input box. That's way, PF will not reduce your image size therefore your image quality stay the same.
10-15-2017, 04:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
I tried uploading the photos to the forum directly but the image quality is still not satisfactory for me. On my screen it's sharp, but the minute I upload that sharpness goes down a lot. The same thing happens when I upload to Flickr and try to link to the image.
PF has limits. I think your photo has to be under 800pixels on the long side, and something like 70 compression is a good idea.
Many other sites have their own limitations, so for optimal image quality you have to learn what it is and then do it. The problem is that many websites recompress the image, and that can lower its quality significantly. I think we had threads about Flickr in the past. You can try finding another image host, but resizing and recompressing are pretty much inevitable.
If you notice trouble with colour changing when you upload, you should make sure you export as sRGB colour space.

10-15-2017, 04:58 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My export setting in Light Room are:

Image format = JPEG
Color space = sRGB
Quality = 100
Resize to fit = Width at 1280 and Height at 1024
Resolution = 300 pixels per inch
10-15-2017, 05:22 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
I took some shots yesterday that I have been experimenting with. I have tried about 30 different ways to export the JPEGs from Lightroom and it's starting to irritate me. I have tried all sorts of stuff and I am pretty much lost.

Exactly how am I supposed to export (specifically) from Lightroom so that my images will not degrade when I upload them?

We don't compress photos as long as they are within the dimension limits. Export at 1400x900 or less and what you upload to the forum will be identical to what you see on the PC. As c.perkins suggested, be sure to export in sRGB as that's what browsers work with.

While this is a good resolution for most devices, modern 4K monitors may introduce blur, and that's something we plan to address in the future.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-15-2017, 06:30 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Also check your PF display settings. Under "My Account" click "edit options", then set your max photo width and height display settings. Leave the values at zero if you don't want restrictions. FWIW, I downscale my photos to 1200 px maximum width for upload to Flickr (just a personal preference). I see no degradation whatsover when viewing them in the forums.

Last edited by paulh; 10-15-2017 at 08:06 PM.
10-15-2017, 08:41 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the advice. Over the next few days I will experiment more with some of the suggestions.
10-16-2017, 05:53 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You might want to check out SmugMug as a photo sharing website that prioritizes display quality.

I edit all my images from the DNGs in DxO OpticsPro 11, export them directly from the application as full-res JPEGs, and these are the ones I upload to my SmugMug-powered site needacreate.com (signature link).

My images have never looked as good, and I have tried flickr and 500px.