Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2017, 08:23 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
K-3ii Memory card compartment

I recently got a new K-3ii and noticed what I can describe as foil type material in the memory card holder compartment behind the first memory card slot. There appears to be some bent or jagged metal behind the little metal cage that surrounds the memory card. I know I took the first photos on this camera and have not done anything that might have caused it. It does not seem to affect anything but it kind of seems very unpolished for a brand new camera. Does anyone know what it is? Is it normal? Should I be concerned? The only thing that I thought is that maybe there is a possibility of this seemingly excess metal shorting something out. I only looked in there to see what might be causing the doors to be somewhat stiff to shut, but I'm assuming that's just because it's brand new. Any insight would be appreciated.

10-16-2017, 09:03 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve_B Quote
I recently got a new K-3ii and noticed what I can describe as foil type material in the memory card holder compartment behind the first memory card slot. There appears to be some bent or jagged metal behind the little metal cage that surrounds the memory card. I know I took the first photos on this camera and have not done anything that might have caused it. It does not seem to affect anything but it kind of seems very unpolished for a brand new camera. Does anyone know what it is? Is it normal? Should I be concerned? The only thing that I thought is that maybe there is a possibility of this seemingly excess metal shorting something out. I only looked in there to see what might be causing the doors to be somewhat stiff to shut, but I'm assuming that's just because it's brand new. Any insight would be appreciated.
There is no bent or jagged looking metal in the memory compartment on my K-3 II. Also the compartment door opens and closes easily. Maybe you can post a photo?
10-16-2017, 12:54 PM   #3

Original Poster

It's hard to see in the pic, but the foil looking stuff has a sort of bent edge behind the metal frame.
10-16-2017, 01:06 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you see it in one slot and not in the other there would most likely be a chance that it is not normal. If the slots do differ, maybe the one that is showing what you are describing is a piece of a partially defective mechanism or part in the slot.

Last edited by C_Jones; 10-16-2017 at 05:20 PM.
10-16-2017, 10:35 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I could also be part of a defective SD card that came apart in the slot. Check any cards you have removed for damage.
10-16-2017, 11:53 PM   #6
Pentaxian

It's normal. Slot 1 and 2 just look different to look into.
10-17-2017, 10:54 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That slot 1 doesn't look like the one in my K-3. The curved back thing isn't there.
10-17-2017, 06:20 PM   #8

Original Poster
I've checked my memory cards. They were both brand new going and and still look brand new. No damage. It simply looks like tool marks inside the housing on what looks to be foil that is bent in places. The camera has like 400 clicks on it so it's just odd to me. I've put memory cards in and out of it exactly once. I just use a USB to transfer pictures to computer. In any case, thanks for the responses. I'm not particularly picky, but loose metal in the memory card compartment is slightly concerning.

10-18-2017, 05:05 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve_B Quote
I've checked my memory cards. They were both brand new going and and still look brand new. No damage. It simply looks like tool marks inside the housing on what looks to be foil that is bent in places. The camera has like 400 clicks on it so it's just odd to me. I've put memory cards in and out of it exactly once. I just use a USB to transfer pictures to computer. In any case, thanks for the responses. I'm not particularly picky, but loose metal in the memory card compartment is slightly concerning.
Looks wrong compared to mine too. There is shielding that I'm not going to poke at flat against side of slot in that area. Assembly or repair error/damage to that? On a new camera?
10-19-2017, 12:44 PM   #10

I've looked in the slots of my K3II and they look different. Not faulty, but slot 1 has a reflection visible that is not present in slot 2.
I shone a torch into both slots and they are not obstructed, and the same width. If your cards fit in each slot you are probably good to go.

Last edited by pentasonic49; 10-19-2017 at 12:50 PM.
10-19-2017, 01:35 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't think there is a problem!

QuoteOriginally posted by dalfa Quote
Looks wrong compared to mine too. There is shielding that I'm not going to poke at flat against side of slot in that area. Assembly or repair error/damage to that? On a new camera?
Changing my opinion: My opinion is that the apparent flaw is actually merely an artifact of the lighting used to take the photo.

Today, looking while sitting under a floor lamp with a circular shade, the reflection from the shield matches the OP's snap. I have had no problems with my K-3 and shuttercount.com tells me 23,562 as of yesterday.

Last edited by Canada_Rockies; 10-19-2017 at 01:51 PM.
10-19-2017, 02:16 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Changing my opinion: My opinion is that the apparent flaw is actually merely an artifact of the lighting used to take the photo.

Today, looking while sitting under a floor lamp with a circular shade, the reflection from the shield matches the OP's snap. I have had no problems with my K-3 and shuttercount.com tells me 23,562 as of yesterday.
Yes. Now you mention it, I think you are right. The power of suggestion plus some lighting misled me.... Looking at it again it does look ok.
10-24-2017, 08:24 AM   #13

Original Poster
Shielding. Yes, I suppose that's what I'm seeing. However, it's not merely lighting. It actually is crumpled a bit with possibly some of it torn off, however it's hard for me to get a good pic with my phone camera. It seems to function fine, but it does seem odd to me in a brand new camera. Obviously, I'm probably a bit paranoid and probably expect too much but that's why I've asked. Thanks for all of the comments.
10-24-2017, 01:25 PM   #14

Look down both slots using a torch, if both are unobstructed and there is no loose material at the bottom of the suspect one you will probably be ok. Having two slots makes comparison easier.