Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2017, 03:41 PM   #1

K-x won't power on

Hey guys, I am new to this forum. I picked up a great condition white K-x recenty, however, i have been having problems. First, it would turn on but would stay on for 5-10 seconds before cutting off. I was getting ready to update it's firmware, as I had seen suggested on another thread but now it will not turn on at all. I switched to new batteries several times but still nothing. Any suggestions? Thanks so much

10-16-2017, 06:06 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Assuming you have the right batteries, try holding the Menu button down before switching it to On.

If that doesn't work, do it with the Green Button. And finally, if the prior two don't work, hold the shutter release down before powering up.

Read more at: Pentax k-x won't turn on? - PentaxForums.com
10-16-2017, 07:20 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The k-x was known to have problems with certain kinds of batteries if the firmware had not been updated.
I would try lithium batteries and then try to update the firmware.
10-17-2017, 01:13 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, please report back on how you got on.

10-17-2017, 06:24 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I had a similar experience with a friend's K-X: it would flash a "battery depleted" message even with full batteries, didn't matter if those were Ni-Mh or alkaline.

I hooked it up to a regulated power supply (about 6V DC) using crocodile clips through the battery compartment, flashed the firmware, turned it off, inserted the batteries again and it was done.
10-18-2017, 04:28 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you so much for the replies! It did turn on holding the Menu button (Thank you). It does not stay on long enough to update the Firmware so will try lithium batteries and/or a power supply. Thanks for the support.
10-18-2017, 04:58 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Stratus106 Quote
Thank you so much for the replies! It did turn on holding the Menu button (Thank you). It does not stay on long enough to update the Firmware so will try lithium batteries and/or a power supply. Thanks for the support.
By all means, ensure you have a steady power supply or you will risk not being able to complete the update, with potentially disastrous results.