Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2017, 08:34 AM   #1

Pentax K-x shutter speed change in AV mode with flash activated

Hello everybody !

It is posible to lock the shutter speed ( ex. 1/180 ) in AV mode, when the flash is activated ? on Pentax K-x

Thank's in advance for your answers.

10-19-2017, 08:53 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The built in flash when activated forces the shutter speed to not exceed 1/180 to prevent the curtains from showing in the image. Are you asking about the built in flash?
10-19-2017, 09:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Av mode is specifically for locking the aperture value as you want it, so the shutter speed will be changing and possibly the ISO as well .....

To fix shutter speed you should use Tv or M modes.
10-19-2017, 11:15 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
Av mode is specifically for locking the aperture value as you want it, so the shutter speed will be changing and possibly the ISO as well .....

To fix shutter speed you should use Tv or M modes.
Exactly. You have set the camera up to only change the shutter speed by using Av.

I really like Av for everything else but when I use the flash, I switch to M. Admittedly this looks easier on a 2-dial camera, because I can set it up so I still can have the shutter speed on one dial and aperture on another. But flash adds another variable, flash power, and you often don't want to change so many things at once. In M mode you can lock things in one place and that works nicer for flash.

10-19-2017, 11:45 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you very much to all for your answer's. Now it's clear to me. For this I will use M set.
10-19-2017, 12:16 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by petrudimoff Quote
For this I will use M set.
Yes! Probably the best option for creative use of P-TTL flash.

Steve