Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2017, 01:48 PM   #1

This is a damaged lens, right?

I bought a used DA 35mm from another member and just got it now. I'm relatively new to SLR photography, and I realize this is a cheap lens, but this seems like pretty obvious damage, right?

Shared album - Kodiak Firesmith - Google Photos

^^Be sure to un-mute the video^^

My concerns are there are 3 different points during moving the focus ring where it grinds and binds, and the inner barrel has a pronounced crack that looks like it's from an impact that must have happened while inside something that protected the impacted surface from abrasion. The crack has been kind of hard to get a good shot of with my phone, but I might point my Panasonic at it next to see if I can make it as apparent as it is in person.

Thanks!

10-19-2017, 01:56 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My first question is have you contacted the seller regarding your concerns?

Secondly, the DA 35 2.4 does not have a quick shift manual focus. Before turning the focus barrel, be sure the camera is switched to manual focus. It is an inexpensive lens with great optics!
10-19-2017, 02:14 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks Twilhelm. I've reached out to the seller, but as a novice I wanted to also check my understanding of what I observed and take the opportunity to be corrected if I am mistaken about what I see.
Thanks!
10-19-2017, 02:24 PM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Turning the focusing ring with the AF shaft engaged (i.e. AF mode on the AF/MF switch) can in fact damage both the camera and the lens if the lens doesn't have quick shift (this one doesn't, the DA 50mm F1.8 doesn't, all other current DA lenses do).

I would test the lens in autofocus mode, and in manual focus mode, doing what you just did. If it's smooth, then it's fine. If there are bumps or clicks, then it's defective.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-19-2017, 03:06 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Is AF engaged? You should only twist the focus ring if you have camera set to MF. Quickshift lenses are an exception, but the DA 35mm f2.4 is not one of those.
But if camera is set to MF, then that clicking sound when you manually focus is odd and you should have been notified of it by the seller. If you were not, they should either take the lens back or at least issue a partial refund (which you can use to get the lens repaired). Comes down to agreement between the two of you. Something is wrong if things are clicking like that. You can inspect the lens for damage or something stuck in there, but its probably a deep issue
Also, if the shipment was insured, make sure you fill out the damage form at the Post as soon as possible. It is possible it got damaged during shipping, but you have to fill out forms and be careful, because posts try to avoid responsibility.

Its a good lens, so its worth getting a working copy
10-19-2017, 03:29 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks so much for all the feedback folks. I am more confident that this isn't some misunderstanding on my part or user error or anything. I only shoot in MF mode because I only do landscapes and starry night stuff so my camera was in MF mode when I connected the lens and discovered the issue. I've since done some further testing and gotten better photos of the problem(s) with the "like new" lens:

The following is a 1:15 video demonstrating how it sounds and looks during AF and MF operation - something definitely seems wrong with it and while it appears thru the viewfinder to focus OK, the binding is going to drive me nuts and throw off the minute adjustments that are needed for starry night shooting.

Hopefully those make the problems I'm seeing more obvious.

Thanks again everyone!

---------- Post added 10-19-17 at 03:36 PM ----------

The seller is a stand up dude and already refunded me based off the original picture and video. I'm super glad to be in the Pentax world, so far everyone has been really great!
10-19-2017, 04:19 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the PF forum! From your video, the AF seems normal; the plastic fantastic DA 35mm and 50mm are very noisy. But the MF should be much smoother than that and it would drive me crazy trying to MF with that.

10-20-2017, 01:59 AM - 1 Like   #8

I agree, the auto focus seems ok, but manual focus should be much smoother from my experience with the DA 35.

There may be a grain of sand stuck in the focus mechanism. Try shining some light into the gap between the lens barrel and the lens body. It may be possible to remove any debris by holding the lens upside down and rotating the focus a few times. If that's not successful, you may be able to loosen any dirt by carefully moving a small sheet of paper, folded once or twice, in the space between barrel and body.

However, it may be that the lens was dropped. From the photo it seems that there is a small hairline crack in the lens barrel, is that right? It may also be that the cogwheel for the manual focus is broken or something else entirely.
10-20-2017, 04:47 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. Since the seller refunded me and didn't want it back, I decided to get a bit more bold in troubleshooting and did the paper thing and it smoothed out a very small bit. It looks and sounds like all the grinding and noise is happening in the cog wheel thing that the AF motor operates.
10-20-2017, 07:02 AM - 1 Like   #10

Original Poster
so I was able to get the housing apart and get the focus gear out for deeper inspection. Found a bunch of sand. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get enough out that the grind would go away, and the gear teeth were already pretty chewed up, but I got some of it out and focusing is a smidge more usable now.

The inside of a DA lens is positively fascinating by the way. Had a heck of a time getting it back together due to the tiny gold springs for AF / lens feedback terminals, but after I realized a small strip of gorilla tape would hold the pins to the plastic plate from the outside, I was able to get it all back together.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/73OgD4j9pTh8Cnt83
10-20-2017, 07:12 AM - 1 Like   #11

Glad you managed to fix it up a bit!

I'm positively surprised by the metal gear. I once bought a Canon 50 1.8 II for a steal. When it turned out to be defective, I disassembled it and found only plastic inside, some of which had cracked. I gave up and returned it.

P.S. If you have a few more photos of the DA35 disassembly, it might worth posting them, since they will certainly be useful to others.
10-20-2017, 07:23 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by antipattern Quote
Glad you managed to fix it up a bit!

I'm positively surprised by the metal gear. I once bought a Canon 50 1.8 II for a steal. When it turned out to be defective, I disassembled it and found only plastic inside, some of which had cracked. I gave up and returned it.

P.S. If you have a few more photos of the DA35 disassembly, it might worth posting them, since they will certainly be useful to others.
Just about when I finished getting the damn thing back together I realized it would have been nice to have been taking pictures or video of it. Especially the trick for getting the electronic contact pins and springs back. I might take another run at it next week while recording w/ my Panasonic point and shoot. I don't know if the tape trick is obvious or if I'm an innovator haha.
11-02-2017, 05:27 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

I'd hate to think the seller tried to slip one past you, but at least they refunded you without a fight. I'm glad you were able to successfully work on it so now you have a functioning lens and a little experience with what's inside.

My only caution is to keep an eye on it and twist the focus ring back and forth before each time you mount it to make sure it still turns easily. If sand made it down to that gear there's a chance there's more in other parts of the lens, and you wouldn't want it to cause issues with your cameras AF motor if it's starts to jam again.

If you notice it sticking again you might want to proactively take it apart again to get any other bits of sand out. Regardless, you should feel proud of what you already accomplished. That's far beyond what most people feel comfortable doing.
11-02-2017, 05:36 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TheOneAndOnlyJH Quote
I'd hate to think the seller tried to slip one past you, but at least they refunded you without a fight. I'm glad you were able to successfully work on it so now you have a functioning lens and a little experience with what's inside.

My only caution is to keep an eye on it and twist the focus ring back and forth before each time you mount it to make sure it still turns easily. If sand made it down to that gear there's a chance there's more in other parts of the lens, and you wouldn't want it to cause issues with your cameras AF motor if it's starts to jam again.

If you notice it sticking again you might want to proactively take it apart again to get any other bits of sand out. Regardless, you should feel proud of what you already accomplished. That's far beyond what most people feel comfortable doing.
Hey thanks! The seller was totally cool about the whole thing. I don't think I'd have taken it apart if I had much money wrapped up in it. I'm feeling pretty good about the level of teardown I gave it, followed up by a lot of soft shaking in every possibly position to try to see if any other grains would come out or be heard within. I think I'm good now. The gear still has some damage for sure, so I try not to use AF with the lens because I'd rather not overwork the AF motor in the body. Overall it turned out to be a positive experience.