Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-20-2017, 08:25 PM   #1

K-01, AF, focus peaking and Pentax 16-45/4 lens

Dear friends.
I have much problems with focusing through Pentax K-01. When I set my camera to AF mode, I cannot rely on sharp pictures.
When I use focus peaking, results are not good too, especially on f 5,6 = small DOF.
Can you help me how to beginn find good result? Is AF point too large, camera AF too bad or 16-45/4 wrong? Thanks.

10-20-2017, 08:28 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You may need to combine focus peaking with magnification for precise manual focusing.

As for AF performance, the trick is to identify a contrasty area at the correct distance. An AF area that's too small can slow you down unnecessarily, while one that's too large, or positioned incorrectly can give you inaccurate results.

Start by verifying that this is indeed a focusing issue and not a problem with the lens, and then practice your technique.

Feel free to post some problematic samples, too.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-20-2017, 09:23 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got very sharp photos with K-01 and Pentax 16-45 (AF). But I used it mostly for landscape (rarely below 7.1).
10-20-2017, 11:43 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Make sure that you have the latest firmware update. If I recall correctly, the original firmware the K-01 shipped with (Ver. 1.0), provided lousy Contrast Detection AF. But the last firmware update (Ver. 1.03?), improved the AF dramatically.

10-21-2017, 12:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
1. Latest firmware is 1.05 (but 1.04 is good as well, if you don't need the support for the rear TC). As said above, AF improved quite a bit since 1.00

2. Don't use focus peaking: it's not very effective, and can be easily tricked in a situation with lots of high-contrast edges (e.g. waves). In my experience it's more of a hindrance than a useful feature.

3. Use 6x magnification to focus. You don't even need to exit that mode with the ok button, since a half-press of the shutter button will get you back to 1x (and start spooling SR as well).

4. If you assigned the red button to peaking, then change that, it's not very useful IMHO. Movies I do in movie mode, so the only sensible thing to use that for IMHO is DoF preview, which BTW is very useful if your lens has a focus shift: auto-gain will take care of the brightness anyway, unlike an optical viewfinder.
10-21-2017, 04:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Yes, update the firmware. There are many threads and blog posts and even a youtube video about how to do that.
For me, CD AD works pretty well, just give it some time. And yes, it needs contrast, so focusing on white walls or empty skies will not work well. In those cases I just switch to MF. With minimum practice you can get quite good at switching between AF and MF for those cases where MF is faster (and it can be)
If you want extra precision, you can use focus peaking with digital magnification. But focus peaking does not work perfectly in all situations, for example ultra wide angle or low contrast lenses are not perfect with FP.

You can upload some photos that show the problem on here, maybe. Often it is not AF, but other settings or faulty lens

Edit: Oh, and I would suggest you try decoupling AF from the shutter button. You can map the AF to be on the AE-L button, so you are not forced to refocus for every photo because often you don't need to change AF between shots. There is a thread about this, titled "perfect focus every time"
10-21-2017, 01:03 PM - 1 Like   #7

Original Poster
OK. I will tested next week. (It makes me a bit problem, this perfekt in english write.)

10-22-2017, 10:03 AM   #8

Original Poster
Some pictures

1. You are right. My K- 01 has first firmware 1.0. I have downloaded 1.05 and will it install later.
2. It is a good idea ,assign AF funktion to AF/AL-L button without using shutter button.
3. Focus peaking : I have no success with it at all. For example, at 45 mm / f8 by focusing distance 1m is DOF just 15 cm....

I think, K-01 buying was bad choice and has no benefit compare tu cameras with optics viewfinder.
For me exists solution to buy old prime lens 24 mm/2,8 and the focus ring set on "infinity" (50 m). Together with apetrure 8-11 for landscape pictures.
I can use DA 35mm/2,4 too.
(I have Pentax K 110 and Nikon D 80 and Nikon 8800 UZ for other shots)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
10-22-2017, 11:58 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
1. ok ;-)
2. it depends... I use it all the time to lock exposure, and would only use back-button focusing on a camera with two buttons (AF and AE-lock) i.e. an advanced body
3. I say forget focus peaking and start trying magnification

Wether it was a good or bad decision, it really depends what you plan to use it for.

I have a K-01 and a K-30... the entry level camera bodies have a LV which is not really usable, as the mirror moves twice before the shutter opens, increasing the potential for blur.

I find the K-01 to be superb in
1) travel photography, with kits that range from a single M 28/3.5 lens to a Sigma 10-20/3.5 + 40/2.8 XS + M100/2.8 kit, which fits in a little holster bag, covers an impressive range of focal lengths and packs a wallop in terms of IQ. I couldn't fit a DSLR in the same space.
2) macro work
3) manual focusing with MF lenses, especially when you get used to it, or when you try an LCD loupe

But you might not trust my words, so... just trust my pics instead!

airfrance by Lens Beginner, su Flickr
SMC-M 80-200/4.5 (manual focus)

F_04 by Lens Beginner, su Flickr
You can do sports as well... here is a panning with 55-300mm DA-L

04 by Lens Beginner, su Flickr
SMC 55/1.8... a weak AA filter means crisp details.

nightscape by Lens Beginner, su Flickr
1/15 handheld? no problem at all! SMC-M 50/1.7

fish by Lens Beginner, su Flickr
The 40/2.8 XS... a match made in heaven for compactness and IQ

13 by Lens Beginner, su Flickr
As you can see, nailing focus is not a problem at all even MF, once you get used to it. SMC-M 80-200/4.5

Last edited by LensBeginner; 10-22-2017 at 12:05 PM.
10-22-2017, 07:06 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here are two images made with K-01 + Pentax 16-45 lens F4. Auto focus, handheld. It is JPEG out of the camera. No special edition apart of sizing 1400*900 before the upload. Looks sharp enough for me.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
10-23-2017, 03:27 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by newone Quote
I think, K-01 buying was bad choice and has no benefit compare tu cameras with optics viewfinder.
This depends on person. I was scared when I first got the K-01, but now I am used to it. I take most of my photos with it (link in signature). For me, it a great camera, very compact, and its yellow. Here is a thread of only K-01 photos: Add your best K-01 photos here - Page 232 - PentaxForums.com

Like any tool, you have to learn how to use it. It takes a little time, but have faith. Keep at it.
But! If you want optical viewfinder, you can sell K-01 and buy used K-S1. K-S1 is still very compact camera, but it has great modern sensor and it has good viewfinder.

Oh, and do the firmware update. You will see the camera will be better after the update. Unless you want to return it to seller for refund, then do not do anything

QuoteOriginally posted by newone Quote
For me exists solution to buy old prime lens 24 mm/2,8 and the focus ring set on "infinity" (50 m). Together with apetrure 8-11 for landscape pictures.
Zone focusing works, but I think you need wider than 24mm on APSC if you want that big DoF. I have Samyang 14mm and it is difficult to focus, but I can use zone focus or hyperfocal without problem. With 28mm f2.8 manual lens, I can see the DoF. Focus peaking only outlines the most contrasty part, the part that is probably in focus. Digital zoom is good because it opens lens aperture and gives you closeup to see the focus better. Do some practice at home and you will figure it out quickly