Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-22-2017, 04:41 AM   #1

Upgrade from Kr

Hi all,
I realise this is very subjective, but I'll ask anyway...
I currently have a Kr which I use with a Tamron 70-200 2.8 for offroad motorsport. The lens upgrade has worked really well for me but although I can get reasonable shots with the Kr, I'm wondering what the best path for upgrade might be.
The main requirements are: improved performance in low light (woods/forestry make the best shots, but are often abysmal for lighting of course), improved AF (probably due to low light but autofocus can be hit and miss currently) & weather sealing.
I know that I can improve technique on my current setup but interested in feedback
Budget is in the region £500 for a body (looking at s/h of course)

Have been looking at K5 series with an eye toward K3 perhaps

Thanks

10-22-2017, 04:49 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax KP, K-70. User reviews and in depth reviews here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/camerareviews/pentax-k-mount-dslrs-c1.html

K-5 is great, but it basically the same generation as the K-r. Yes, the K-5 is higher tier (WR, better battery, pentaprism, more functions), but if you want top low light performance you should get one of the new ones. KP and K-70 are both WR, so you can get a WR lens later and you have a WR system.
K-3 is a good choice, as well. I'd recommend getting a camera from the latest generations, because each generation has improvements
10-22-2017, 05:21 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

The K3, for the money you have, and a used Tamron 17-50 2.8..The K3 has a excellent screwdrive motor to avoid pesky SDM issues..
10-22-2017, 06:17 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Scrat Quote
Hi all,
I realise this is very subjective, but I'll ask anyway...
I currently have a Kr which I use with a Tamron 70-200 2.8 for offroad motorsport. The lens upgrade has worked really well for me but although I can get reasonable shots with the Kr, I'm wondering what the best path for upgrade might be.
The main requirements are: improved performance in low light (woods/forestry make the best shots, but are often abysmal for lighting of course), improved AF (probably due to low light but autofocus can be hit and miss currently) & weather sealing.
I know that I can improve technique on my current setup but interested in feedback
Budget is in the region £500 for a body (looking at s/h of course)

Have been looking at K5 series with an eye toward K3 perhaps

Thanks
I'd go K-70, as the image quality is a step up over the K-3 and earlier bodies, and it checks off your requirements.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-22-2017, 02:40 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I also would recommend avoiding the K-5; it is a wonderful camera (I own one), but it's also long superceded and its successors are just so much better that it isn't funny. I found the K-5 quite adequate for most of the stills shooting I was doing, and it was the best there was when I bought it, but in 2017 if I were moving up from anything else, I wouldn't go earlier than the K-3.

If you were looking for your first-ever DSLR then I WOULD recommend the K-5, but you need something several steps up from what you already have to make the purchase worthwhile.
10-22-2017, 03:28 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Scrat Quote
...weather sealing...
The K-70 is a major upgrade over the K-r. A peek at Amazon UK says it's £599 so at the high end of your budget. You might be able to find a sale or a used one.

Note that your Tamron 70-200 is not weather sealed. The Pentax 70-200 is, but much more expensive.
10-22-2017, 03:46 PM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

have you discovered this tool yet?

Pentax K-70 vs. Pentax K-3 vs. Pentax K-5 II - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-cameras-compared/?c1=Pentax+K-70&...3&c3=Pentax+KP

you find it under " Cameras " above.

it allows you to compare 3 different camera bodies side by side.

it links to the "in depth camera " reviews and the " user reviews " as well.

personally I like my K 3 and K 5 II but you need to decide on what is best for your purposes and needs

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-22-2017 at 03:54 PM.
10-23-2017, 05:12 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K-70 will be a major improvement. Better VF, 2-dial operation, better AF, better low-noise/high ISO performance, WR construction, 24mp resolution for cropping or large prints or screens, just better in so many ways. But be sure to dial in "F" (Fine sharpening) in the Custom Image menu, per test reviews, and by my own experience with various Pentax models.

You do not get this kind of construction and features at this price point with other brands.