Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2017, 05:13 AM   #1

mechanical issues when working with coupler ring and added lens

Hi,

For discovering el-cheapo macro photography you can buy coupler rings to mount a lens face to face with your standard lens, which should (will) permit close-up photography.

My question on this:
how bad is the added weight of the added lens for:
1. the screw-threads of the standard lens (in my K10D case the standard kit lens)?
2. the internal threads (used in/for focusing) of that standard lens?

I would not like to cause damage to any parts of my photo gear,

Thank you,
lowlandspentax

10-25-2017, 05:50 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would advise using manual focus primes for lens reversal macro photography. AF zoom lenses aren't really built to be used with another lens mounted on the threads* and the internal cams and tubes can flex and break. Generally speaking older K,M,A prime lenses are sturdy enough to be used for this. I'd suggest reverse mounting the M 135mm f/3.5 and the M 28mm f/3.5 - both of these lenses are very good on their own. Though the K 50mm f/1.7 mounted onto the SMC-A 100mm f/4 macro is a popular combination.

*If the filter threads are plastic be extra careful, as the extra weight of the lens could damage them.
10-25-2017, 08:20 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Also, best practice is to mount the short focal length on the front.