Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-27-2017, 03:43 AM   #1

Trouble with Sigma 18-300C

I got this weird white vignette or bleach with photos I take with Pentax k3 and sigma 18-300C.

What seems to be causing that cataract effect?

10-27-2017, 04:20 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just this once? Kind of looks like flare, assuming the sun was just to the right of the right edge.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-27-2017, 02:02 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Just this once? Kind of looks like flare, assuming the sun was just to the right of the right edge.
It appears in different cases but yes, the position of the sun makes that issue. I mostly use a lens hood but I'm not sure if it's a fault by design,

The result can be harsh compared to other lenses I used so far.

Few more example

10-27-2017, 02:42 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nitrogliserin Quote
It appears in different cases but yes, the position of the sun makes that issue. I mostly use a lens hood but I'm not sure if it's a fault by design
I use the 18-300C on a K-3 II, always with the lenshood, and never seen this effect, if that's any help.

Cheers,
Terry

10-27-2017, 04:24 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The first three pictures look fine to me.
The last one is into the sun but not a bad photo either.
I use the 18~300 with a Hoya Pro 1 filter.
I really like this multi purpose lens.

Your mileage may vary.
Clarence
10-27-2017, 04:29 PM   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.perkins Quote
The first three pictures look fine to me.
Bottom left corner of the images shows flare, no?
10-27-2017, 04:37 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Bottom left corner of the images shows flare, no?
Yes, I see something there.
Is that from the sun being to the right ?

Clarence

---------- Post added 10-27-17 at 06:55 PM ----------

Just went through all my pic's using that lens and do not see the same issue.
Do not know what else to say other than try the same photo with lens hood on and off.
The portion of the photo at the bottom left looks too man made than an exposure/image capture problem.
But then again I am far from an expert.

Clarence

10-28-2017, 06:44 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.perkins Quote
Yes, I see something there.
Is that from the sun being to the right ?

Clarence

---------- Post added 10-27-17 at 06:55 PM ----------

Just went through all my pic's using that lens and do not see the same issue.
Do not know what else to say other than try the same photo with lens hood on and off.
The portion of the photo at the bottom left looks too man made than an exposure/image capture problem.
But then again I am far from an expert.

Clarence
Correct.

Checking older photos and I see it's there.

https://image.ibb.co/grjBvm/Photo_70.jpg

a harsh way to tolerate sun light. In case you are not experiencing the same with your Sigma I guess I have a bad copy or something.
10-28-2017, 07:57 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Do you have a filter on the lens?
10-28-2017, 08:51 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
First, the cataract effect is almost certainly due to sun or extremely bright sky light getting into the lens. The hood is a first line of defense but it has a severe limitations in that it only provides protection at 18 mm. If you zoom even a little (say to 28), it's easy to frame a picture with the sun falling outside the image but still falling inside the hood and striking the lens. And the more you zoom, the easier it is to accidentally let a lot of stray light strike the front element and fog the picture.

Second, these superzooms inhale a lot of air (and dust) when zooming. I've got an old Tamron 18-250 that's accumulated a layer of dust on the inside of the front element assembly from zooming. That makes these problems of flare even worse.

Some solutions are: 1) try to keep the sun out of the lens by keeping the sun behind you (which may not always be possible); 2) if the sun is in front of you, then use your hand or a bit of card-stock to shield the front of the lens; 3) keep the front element of the lens as clean as possible.
10-29-2017, 01:47 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by forensicscientist Quote
Do you have a filter on the lens?
No, I don't have any filters

---------- Post added 10-29-17 at 11:49 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
First, the cataract effect is almost certainly due to sun or extremely bright sky light getting into the lens. The hood is a first line of defense but it has a severe limitations in that it only provides protection at 18 mm. If you zoom even a little (say to 28), it's easy to frame a picture with the sun falling outside the image but still falling inside the hood and striking the lens. And the more you zoom, the easier it is to accidentally let a lot of stray light strike the front element and fog the picture.

Second, these superzooms inhale a lot of air (and dust) when zooming. I've got an old Tamron 18-250 that's accumulated a layer of dust on the inside of the front element assembly from zooming. That makes these problems of flare even worse.

Some solutions are: 1) try to keep the sun out of the lens by keeping the sun behind you (which may not always be possible); 2) if the sun is in front of you, then use your hand or a bit of card-stock to shield the front of the lens; 3) keep the front element of the lens as clean as possible.
Thanks a lot for the explanation!

I'll try to clean the lens if there's any dust inside and will def try to block the sun with hand