Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2017, 12:12 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-3II broke down, need to buy new camera in Kanazawa or Kyoto

Hello all,

I'm posting this right after my K-3II started behaving strangely in the beginning of my Japan trip. I hiked all day through the rain, which shouldn't be a problem as I have done this many times before. However this time, after changing lenses inside a warm cabin, the camera started making a loud buzzing noise at every exposure and some images come out badly shaken. Not all, just some. I first thought an SR problem, but switching off SR doesn't make a difference... Also a bit later, the green readings inside the viewfinder started becoming very faint.

Needless to say I'm close to panicking. I fear some condensation got into the camera when changing lenses, which messed up the electronics. Well the camera still takes ok images at times, but it's more miss than hit. I fear the end is near... Unless someone can put my mind at rest with a magic solution?

I'm in the Japanese Alps right now and we're going to Kanazawa next, Kyoto after that. Can anyone point me to a camera store in either city that would carry Pentax? I'll be happy if I could get me any entry level Pentax DSLR to make it through the rest of the trip (almost 3 weeks to go), though preferably a K-3II or KP of course...

On a side note, I am counting myself lucky to be in Japan. Last year I was in Nicaragua, which would have left me without a DSLR for the entire trip. Now I hope to have get by on my phone camera (wide angle) and Q-S1 with prime 01 for standard for just a few days before getting me a new DSLR... Fingers crossed...

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Wim

PS: shame the K-3II successor isn't out yet. Timing would have been perfect for a replacement...

10-29-2017, 12:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I suppose you could go to BIC camera or MAP camera online store, order the camera and have them shipped to where you are in Japan. Even some smaller stores, such as "Don Quijote" may carry k-3 or k-3II; saw a new k-3/18-135 combo in one of the stores in mid-town Roppongi the other day.

Last edited by aleonx3; 10-29-2017 at 01:05 AM.
10-29-2017, 12:53 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Though I have not been to Kyoto, I assume that BIC Camera has Pentax DSLRs available.
The store is located next to the JR Station.
I've been to several BIC Camera stores in other Japanes cities and all had Pentax cameras.
Good luck and enjoy your trip!
I'm back to Japan late in November. But only for a 36 hour business trip
10-29-2017, 01:15 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Did you try a bag of rice? And turning off SR altogether?

10-29-2017, 01:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Did you try a bag of rice? And turning off SR altogether?
I did turn SR off altogether indeed. To no avail.

I don't have the camera in rice yet, but I'm drying it out right now. I'm still hoping a little bit... But I would rather be prepared for the worst.

Thanks for the tips on stores. I did check out BIC camera. No K-3II in stock at any of the stores, but maybe online yes. I'll go to the Kyoto JR station store on Wednesday and see if they can ship it to the store.

I just realized that if I want to continue swapping out my 4 batteries, that a K-3II is the only option amongst APS-C cameras that still uses the larger batteries...

Tx all again!!

Wim

10-29-2017, 02:01 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I found that Kitamura Camera have a lot of Pentax for sale, also used: http://shop.kitamura.jp/pd/list.html?index=&searchbox=1&sort=number20%2CNumb...83%AC%E3%83%95 They have shops all over Japan. The K-3 II is probably pretty scarce in Japan. I think it has been discontinued for a new model and Ricoh is selling from stock.
10-29-2017, 02:28 AM   #7
JPT
Pentaxian

That's a pain. I hope it starts working again.

If you can wait, Kyoto is going to be a lot easier to find, because they have big branches of Yodobashi and Bic Camera. They will have the KP, K-70 and K-1 at least. They no longer stock the K-3ii. Problem solved. Yodobashi lists the KP as 114,610 yen including the 8% tax, and the K-70 as 73,270 yen. Bic shows the price without tax, so it looks cheaper at first glance, but it’s the same. Since you don’t have a points card, you won’t be able to the 10% back in points, so I would suggest asking if they can do anything for you. They might reduce the price a little or add in some accessories.

If you have to buy in Kanazawa, I’m pretty sure you’ll be able to find a KP or K-70 somewhere but it’s a bit more difficult to suggest a shop that will definitely have one. I've never been there. Going in December as is happens. I took a look online for what is available in Kanazawa.

Kitamura Camera
There are a few branches of Kitamura Camera in Kanazawa. Some Kitamura shops are tiny and mainly focused on print services, but two of the branches in Kanazawa seem to sell new and used cameras. If they have a KP or K-70, it will probably be cheaper that Yodobashi/Bic. They are showing 103,150 yen for the KP and 65,940 yen for the K-70 on their website.

Kitamura Camera Kanazawa Asano Honmachi Branch
Currently listed used cameras:
?????????????
?????????????

Kitamura Camera Kanazawa Arimatsu Branch
Currently listed used cameras:
?????????????

Yamada Denki
This is a general electronics store. I don’t really like this chain as a shopping experience, but I think there is a good chance they will have Pentax models. Yamada is quite slow to sell out old models, so they might still have a K-3ii. Also, they sometimes have good deals on the older cameras they are trying to clear out. The prices they show on their online store are similar to Kitamura.

Here is the main Yamada store in Kanazawa. Looks like it's a fair distance up the main road from the station.
??????????

I hope you have a great time. They weather is a bit of a challenge with the typhoon passing, but it should get better after Monday. We've had so much rain this year. It's pretty unusual.

10-29-2017, 04:00 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Kakaku list a K3ii body only for 75,800 yen.
http://kakaku.com/item/K0000772459/?lid=ksearch_kakakuitem_image

The cheapest store is in Osaka, but if you are staying in Kanazawa for a while, you might be able to get it delivered to your hotel there, or maybe a day trip to Osaka from Kyoto?
Are the lenses you're using weather sealed?

PS If you're going back to Tokyo, you might be able to drop into the Ricoh showroom in Shinjuku and get them to have a look at the camera.
10-29-2017, 06:43 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You could try buying used, eBay or here in wanted section, or a local Japanese site.

Is rental possible?

---------- Post added 10-29-17 at 09:51 AM ----------

Since warranty work is country specific you might want to contact a dealer in your home country and see if there is any way to ship quickly to you as another option. But used won't bear that restriction since no warranty is included generally.

---------- Post added 10-29-17 at 09:53 AM ----------

What lenses do you need to use? Would adapting then onto a mirrorless camera be adequate?
10-30-2017, 12:34 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks to all.

Update: After intense drying, the viewfinder indicators became visible as normal again, but the buzzing sound and badly shaken images remained. I decided to use the camera regardless since some images (very fast shutter speeds mainly) were still ok. Today, after a dozen images, the camera shook heavily for one shaken image after which I retook the image without the buzzing sound which very sharp (normal) result. I became hopeful for a second, but this image turned out to be the last, since now the camera will not be switched on again, only showing a message that it powers down automatically to prevent overheating... RIP

Btw lenses (I had the DA*16-50 on) are fine.

For the rest of today and tomorrow I used and will use my phone (a very decent Google Pixel XL) and Q-S1 + 01. Not perfect, but I'm happy to have the backup.

Wednesday I will go shopping in Kyoto for a KP, possibly with the battery grip so I could still use my 4 spare D-LI90 batteries. If the grip fits the bag that is, otherwise I'll probably get a spare D-LI109 battery instead.

I'll miss the top LCD, and will forego some astrophotography I had planned... But I'm looking forward to the improved low light IQ and the rear LCD to explore different angles.

To be continued...

Greetings from a train somewhere between Takayama and Kanazawa,

Wim

10-30-2017, 01:03 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The KP has its blessings. A K-3ll for the dual cards and D-LI90 can be had lightly used for small money.
10-30-2017, 02:39 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Update: After intense drying, the viewfinder indicators became visible as normal again, but the buzzing sound and badly shaken images remained. I decided to use the camera regardless since some images (very fast shutter speeds mainly) were still ok. Today, after a dozen images, the camera shook heavily for one shaken image after which I retook the image without the buzzing sound which very sharp (normal) result. I became hopeful for a second, but this image turned out to be the last, since now the camera will not be switched on again, only showing a message that it powers down automatically to prevent overheating... RIP
Bummer. Sounds like the sensor stabilisation system went crazy. The only time I've had an overheating warning was when taking video using a K7 in the Northern Territory - where it was quite hot and humid. By the way, Amazon Japan can deliver to a Lawson convenience store. They list the KP for 103,149 yen. If you want to wait for Kyoto, there's a Yodobashi store right outside the station.
10-30-2017, 10:25 AM   #13
Pentaxian

That really sucks. Kyoto is way too amazing to not have a camera with good lenses. I was there for a day last month. I wish that I had a bit more time to take more shots, but we were kind of limited on time, since we were on foot & had to go back to Nagoya in the evening. I basically had to set my camera to auto & shoot the majority of shots like that, since we were almost running around. We went to Arashiyama Bamboo Forest, got on the "Sagano Romantic Train", went to Gion, & saw a few other places. I did shoot a few images using TAV or M settings, but still didn't have enough time for them to be worthy. The next time I go, I'll be dedicating at least one entire day from very early in the morning to very late in the evening strictly for setting up the camera & taking shots & then the next day in Kyoto I'd enjoy as a regular tourist.

Bic Camera has some amazing camera displays & they let you test out the bodies & they even have lenses that you can test out as well. I didn't get to go to Yodobashi, but my guess is that it will be similar to Bic Camera. The Bic Camera store right next to the Nagoya Station drove me nuts 'cause they had this Bic Camera tune that looped over & over. It would play & then end with some kids chanting, "Biiiiiiiku-Biku-Biku-Bik! CAMERA!" It's embedded into my brain now.
10-30-2017, 06:59 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
That really sucks. Kyoto is way too amazing to not have a camera with good lenses. I was there for a day last month. I wish that I had a bit more time to take more shots, but we were kind of limited on time, since we were on foot & had to go back to Nagoya in the evening. I basically had to set my camera to auto & shoot the majority of shots like that, since we were almost running around. We went to Arashiyama Bamboo Forest, got on the "Sagano Romantic Train", went to Gion, & saw a few other places. I did shoot a few images using TAV or M settings, but still didn't have enough time for them to be worthy. The next time I go, I'll be dedicating at least one entire day from very early in the morning to very late in the evening strictly for setting up the camera & taking shots & then the next day in Kyoto I'd enjoy as a regular tourist.
I've been to Kyoto several times and there's still significant things I haven't seen!

QuoteQuote:
Bic Camera has some amazing camera displays & they let you test out the bodies & they even have lenses that you can test out as well. I didn't get to go to Yodobashi, but my guess is that it will be similar to Bic Camera. The Bic Camera store right next to the Nagoya Station drove me nuts 'cause they had this Bic Camera tune that looped over & over. It would play & then end with some kids chanting, "Biiiiiiiku-Biku-Biku-Bik! CAMERA!" It's embedded into my brain now.
Thanks for the ear-worm! The funniest music I've heard in a store was a second-hand chain. The music was playing in the background with the typical chipmunk voices happily singing the name of the store. I managed to get outside before laughing, because the store was called "hard-off".

I'd buy from BIC before Yodobashi given the choice, because the BIC prices are likely to be lower. Yodobashi bump up their prices then offer "points" which is great for locals who can use them, but useless for tourists. Having said that, a cousin of mine was able to use points straight away to get something else which he hadn't originally planned to buy. Make sure you ask about getting the camera tax free, which they should be able to do, but you need to show your passport, and I think maybe tell them what your flight out of Japan is. That removes the VAT.
10-31-2017, 02:12 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
I'd buy from BIC before Yodobashi given the choice, because the BIC prices are likely to be lower. Yodobashi bump up their prices then offer "points" which is great for locals who can use them, but useless for tourists. Having said that, a cousin of mine was able to use points straight away to get something else which he hadn't originally planned to buy. Make sure you ask about getting the camera tax free, which they should be able to do, but you need to show your passport, and I think maybe tell them what your flight out of Japan is. That removes the VAT.
Thanks for that tip! I just checked on their website and I find all Pentax DSLRs are listed as 'inventory remaining' rather than 'in stock now', except for the K-1 limited silver edition which is 'in stock now'. Any idea what they may mean?

Well... Guess I'll find out tomorrow early afternoon. I just had a great day in Kanazawa btw. I had forgotten how much fun my Q-S1 could be as a walk around camera. Still longing for a DSLR of course...

To be continued,

Wim