Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2017, 03:05 AM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Thanks for that tip! I just checked on their website and I find all Pentax DSLRs are listed as 'inventory remaining' rather than 'in stock now', except for the K-1 limited silver edition which is 'in stock now'. Any idea what they may mean?
According to my nihonjin friend, it means that stock is low. So it means they have some, but may run out soon.

QuoteQuote:
Well... Guess I'll find out tomorrow early afternoon. I just had a great day in Kanazawa btw. I had forgotten how much fun my Q-S1 could be as a walk around camera. Still longing for a DSLR of course...
I've been to Kanazawa twice and I really like it! Kenroku-en is beautiful, even in snow, the Castle is a really interesting modern reconstruction, the Higashi-chaya district has a fascinating mix of businesses in old Edo style buildings, and there's lots of cool temples and shrines.

11-01-2017, 05:33 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Ok, I seem to have overreacted somewhat... The miracle has happened.

After all signs seemed to indicate a defunct camera, and before leaving this morning for Kyoto, I checked the K-3II once more. The menu flashed two times and the top LCD blinked a bit, but after one off/on flick things stabilized. It seems having rested a day or two was all the camera needed to heal. Very human I would say...

I walked around with it all day in Kyoto and it continued working like nothing had ever happened at all... All modes, all buttons, all lenses, no problem.

So... No shopping in Kyoto. Shame because I had started to look forward to some of the KP's features, and the K-3II felt a bit old the first half hour after its resurrection... Kudos to Pentax for having made a camera that can take a beating like that and survive... I am in Kyoto for a few days, so I'll see how it goes, but I expect to be able to wait for the K-3II successor after all...

OTOH, Japan not being a cheap place, having 1K€ more credit on my card is not a bad thing either...

Regardless, thanks to everyone for your support!!!

Wim
11-01-2017, 06:42 AM   #18
Pentaxian

^ The food seemed a bit pricey at times. That's where most of my money went. I did have the most amazing beef udon that I've ever had in my life inside the main Kyoto station. I had 2 bowls of it.
11-01-2017, 08:17 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Even if your K-3 II can be repaired, the KP is a very fine 2nd body to have. I use it often. I have it along with my fine old K-5 IIs.

11-01-2017, 04:41 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Even if your K-3 II can be repaired, the KP is a very fine 2nd body to have. I use it often. I have it along with my fine old K-5 IIs.
Indeed I thought about that for a while, but the control layout seems too different. I already struggled with the subtle differences between the K-5 and K-3, so I didn't keep the K-5 as a second body either. I'm not a two body person anyway, always preferring to add an extra lens instead. I am a many lens person...

Btw, the K-3II has 'healed' in the mean time.

Tx, Wim

---------- Post added 02-11-17 at 01:43 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
^ The food seemed a bit pricey at times. That's where most of my money went. I did have the most amazing beef udon that I've ever had in my life inside the main Kyoto station. I had 2 bowls of it.
Japanese food *is* great indeed!!
11-01-2017, 05:24 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Ok, I seem to have overreacted somewhat... The miracle has happened.

After all signs seemed to indicate a defunct camera, and before leaving this morning for Kyoto, I checked the K-3II once more. The menu flashed two times and the top LCD blinked a bit, but after one off/on flick things stabilized. It seems having rested a day or two was all the camera needed to heal. Very human I would say...

OTOH, Japan not being a cheap place, having 1K€ more credit on my card is not a bad thing either...
Congratulations! I hope it continues to behave well! Things must be cheap for you at home and expensive for me, because Japanese prices for things like food seem reasonable to me, and accommodation as well, but then I tend to stay in business hotels which are reasonably priced. There's cheaper options, but I'm not a twenty-something anymore, alas.

Of course, if you go to up-market restaurants and hotels, you'll certainly pay more, and you'll get less for your money if you eat western food rather than Japanese food.
11-02-2017, 02:30 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Congratulations! I hope it continues to behave well! Things must be cheap for you at home and expensive for me, because Japanese prices for things like food seem reasonable to me, and accommodation as well, but then I tend to stay in business hotels which are reasonably priced. There's cheaper options, but I'm not a twenty-something anymore, alas.

Of course, if you go to up-market restaurants and hotels, you'll certainly pay more, and you'll get less for your money if you eat western food rather than Japanese food.
Thanks!

I agree with you on the prices thing. Indeed, Japan isn't expensive compared to Belgium where I live. However it is compared to most destinations I normally holiday to. Last year e.g. we were in Nicaragua. We're spending 4 weeks here, and since both the wife and I are foodies and like to stay in special places from time to time, it does get more expensive than our regular 4 weeks at home in Belgium...

Grtz, Wim

11-02-2017, 03:23 AM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I agree with you on the prices thing. Indeed, Japan isn't expensive compared to Belgium where I live. However it is compared to most destinations I normally holiday to. Last year e.g. we were in Nicaragua. We're spending 4 weeks here, and since both the wife and I are foodies and like to stay in special places from time to time, it does get more expensive than our regular 4 weeks at home in Belgium...
Ah, in comparison to places like that it would be expensive, sure. I hope you got to try a kaiseki meal!
11-20-2017, 02:29 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ah, in comparison to places like that it would be expensive, sure. I hope you got to try a kaiseki meal!
We did more than once. Delicious!

One more update:
- The K-3II survived the entire remainder of the holiday. The first few days the only reminder of something having gone wrong was the long time it took the camera to shut off (this could take up to 5 minutes after my flicking the on/off switch to the off position), but that also stopped after four or five days. Now the camera is behaving 100% as before.
- My investigating camera shops in Japan, did lead to extra costs though. Back in Tokyo I visited Map Camera and left the store with a new DFA100/2.8 WR Macro and a second hand K50/1.2. Both great lenses!
- I also visited the Ricoh imaging square in Shinjuku, intending to have a chat about the K-3II line. It turned out to be very busy, with all employees hard at work and people waiting in line to be helped. I didn't have a lot of time, so I didn't really find an English speaking person to talk to. However, while the K-3II is nowhere to be seen in stores, the exhibition line-up at the imaging square still featured as many K-3IIs as KPs or K-1s. These were clearly presented as the intermediate model between the KP and the K-1, which leads me to assume a successor should come. This is merely my own deduction however, not supported by any conversation I might have had.

grtz, Wim
11-20-2017, 04:26 AM   #25
Pentaxian

For others still looking the price of second hand Pentax cameras seems very reasonable. K-3 seems to go for between US$350-$500.

http://shop.kitamura.jp/ペンタックス+K-3+ボディキット/pd/4549212274220/
11-20-2017, 05:59 PM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Theov39 Quote
For others still looking the price of second hand Pentax cameras seems very reasonable. K-3 seems to go for between US$350-$500.

http://shop.kitamura.jp/ペンタックス+K-3+ボディキット/pd/4549212274220/
Wow!
11-20-2017, 09:28 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi
I am a regular visitor to Japan, two or three time a year.
Na, eating in Japan is not expensive. Recently in Kyoto had a private dinner with a Geisha and it was only some Aus$600.00. Very affordable.

There was another local in the room who was served and entertained by a Maiko (Maiko is a lower ranked apprentice Gaisha in her final year and a bit cheaper)
Sorry for the poor quality photos but I only had my smart phone with me and I am no good taking photos with that. I was under the impression photos were not allowed.

Cheers

P.S.
Despite contrary believe, there is no uffty capuffty !

Last edited by Schraubstock; 12-09-2017 at 05:20 PM.
11-21-2017, 02:15 AM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
I am a regular visitor to Japan, two or three time a year.
I'm jealous! Need an assistant? よろしくお願いします! I can't complain though - I'm going to Japan for the second time this year next month.

QuoteQuote:
Na, eating in Japan is not expensive. Recently in Kyoto had a private dinner with a Geisha and it was only some Aus$600.00. Very affordable.
And I thought I was paying too much at $600 for a night for a night for two at an onsen with two kaiseki meals (dinner and breakfast for two)! I'd like to experience being served a meal by a geisha (or maiko), but I don't think I'll ever be able to afford it. I think my parents did, but they were bankrolled by a Japanese client.
11-21-2017, 03:51 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And I thought I was paying too much at $600 for a night
Rob, you could have bedded down at a Love Hotel such as this one in Kyoto for less !

For those who are unfamiliar with the concept of a Japanese Love Hotels:

Japanese housing trends are typically small homes with sleeping areas being used as common areas during the day and, as a result, there is little opportunity for young couples who often still live at home to have some "quality time" together. Rather than walking the streets (particularly in winter) they often spend a few hours at a Japanese Love Hotel. These Hotels play a special role in Japanese society.

Last edited by Schraubstock; 12-09-2017 at 05:20 PM.
11-21-2017, 02:37 PM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Rob, you could have bedded down at a Love Hotel such as this one in Kyoto for less !
True, but that wouldn't provide the same kind of personal service. Ahem.