Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2017, 03:49 AM   #1

K-1 purchase questions

My first post on this forum. The DR of the K-1 has got my salivary glands working, me being partial to pointing cameras at setting suns or red-lit twilight skies here in Switzerland.

I`m also partial to setting up a dolly and moving the camera during time lapse. Hence I`ve a few questions about the suitability of the K-1 for that purpose:

- does a camera remote cable with TRS connection exist for the K-1? I couldn`t find one at first glance on the web. For example Dynamic Perception don`t list one here: MX3 and NMX Camera Cable

- if I were to buy an Af lens like the 15-30mm, is there any way the aperture can be locked off with the lens off camera? This is important to reduce flicker during time lapse ie not have the aperture open and close every shot but stay at the
chosen aperture. Canon lenses do this with the "lens twist trick" using the depth of field preview lever. But my Nikons don`t and instead close to narrowest aperture when not attched fully to the body.
If not I could always get a Rokinon I suppose.

- is battery life for astro time lapse good compared to other brands? eg Canon is good with the battery pack on my 6D but I know Sony is poor til now.

Thanks

Ian

11-05-2017, 03:56 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Swarbs Quote
- does a camera remote cable with TRS connection exist for the K-1? I couldn`t find one at first glance on the web. For example Dynamic Perception don`t list one here: MX3 and NMX Camera Cable
Yes, details here:
K1 Remote release connector - PentaxForums.com

- if I were to buy an Af lens like the 15-30mm, is there any way the aperture can be locked off with the lens off camera? This is important to reduce flicker during time lapse ie not have the aperture open and close every shot but stay at the chosen aperture. Canon lenses do this with the "lens twist trick" using the depth of field preview lever. But my Nikons don`t and instead close to narrowest aperture when not attched fully to the body. If not I could always get a Rokinon I suppose.
Pentax lenses work just like Nikon lenses in this respect, so no, there's no way unless you physically disconnect the aperture lever and force it to stay at a particular position, which IMO would be a bit of a waste Modifying the 14mm to do this would make more sense, as with the aperture level removed/trimmed you can limit the maximum aperture using the aperture ring on the lens.

- is battery life for astro time lapse good compared to other brands? eg Canon is good with the battery pack on my 6D but I know Sony is poor til now.
The K-1 has pretty good battery life, but you can always get the power adapter or grip if you need more juice. I haven't tested timelapse battery life myself, but OTOH you should expect around 700 frames.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-05-2017, 05:05 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yes, details here:
K1 Remote release connector - PentaxForums.com

Pentax lenses work just like Nikon lenses in this respect, so no, there's no way unless you physically disconnect the aperture lever and force it to stay at a particular position, which IMO would be a bit of a waste Modifying the 14mm to do this would make more sense, as with the aperture level removed/trimmed you can limit the maximum aperture using the aperture ring on the lens.

The K-1 has pretty good battery life, but you can always get the power adapter or grip if you need more juice. I haven't tested timelapse battery life myself, but OTOH you should expect around 700 frames.
thanks Adam. Good to know about Pentax AF lenses. Useful information.

The cable I`d need has a trs plug at the non-camera end ie not a pre-attached remote device as linked to in the forum post.
11-05-2017, 05:21 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The cable I`d need has a trs plug at the non-camera end ie not a pre-attached remote device as linked to in the forum post.
Can you use an adapter? Those cables just send a very basic signal, so should be doable. I'd recommend starting a new thread on this topic, as there are folks on the forum who've done stuff like this.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-05-2017, 09:51 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The only help I can offer is on the battery life. I have a Canon 5dsr and a K1 and I get better life from the K1.
11-05-2017, 10:20 AM   #6
Pentaxian

That looks like the 3/32 jack, or 2.5mm. That is the size on the K1.
11-05-2017, 03:59 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

thanks Adam. Good to know about Pentax AF lenses. Useful information.

The cables are there, google is your friend, quality does vary.
http://amazon.com/TNP-2-5mm-Audio-Cable-6FT/dp/B0742NQKT5/ref=sr_1_4?tag=pen...5mm+male+cable