Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2017, 09:17 AM   #1

what kind of lense is this?

I got a Vivitar 75-205 f3.8 coupled to a "2x matched multiplier", at the same time that I bought a very cheap Pentax-M 80-200. The Vivitar:

I was told the Vivitar was also for Pentax. when I went to pick the lenses I did check that aperture lever and rings were working ok I but didn't check the mount.

At home I noticed the mount of the lense couldn't go into my K-30 body.
So I though maybe that was an old Pentax variation, with extra flange, partial outer lip and that little metal tooth the size of the aperture lever. I did cut that extra stuff, marked on the picture:

once done, the lens does fits in smoothly but can't be rotated more than 1cm, so can't be clicked into position, yet it sits very tight.
just then, I thought about the size of the thread. It's slightly smaller on the Vivitar (Pentax on the left, Vivitar on the right):

i found some topics here about Nikon lenses on Pentax. For instance:
Nikon lens on Pentax body? - PentaxForums.com
but nothing about flanges and lips needing to be cutted away.

So I'm wondering what mount I got there.

11-07-2017, 09:27 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My first thought is Nikon, because of the "ears" on the aperture ring.

The extra flanges are weird, though.
11-07-2017, 10:59 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Nikon Ai

The rearmost flanges are just art of the baffle. The ones up along the collar are normal for the mount and tells the body the max and min aperture.

Yup. Non-AI nikon lenses (or those that you cut the AI index tabs off from) will fit the Pentax mount without problems but they do not lock and the aperture mechanism is not going to function. The Nikon guys are going to hate on you for cutting those off but it's going to be useable for you now as is and would work on pre-AI Nikon bodies.