Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2017, 12:32 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
With this lens break my K-1?

I got a used SMC PENTAX-FA 100-300. It's impossible to mount unless I move the metal "tooth"--I'm a photography noob and don't know what the word is--to the right to force the aperture to open. (See picture.) Moreover, this "tooth" is much harder to move on this lens than any of the other 5 lenses I own. My K-1 still takes pictures with this lens and nothing seems out of the ordinary about handling it, but I'm worried that I'll damage the electronics if I keep using it because I wonder if the shutter motor (I assume there is such a thing) has to struggle to open the aperture.

Also, I notice that the "tooth" is at a slant on this lens, whereas it is straight on all the others I own. Is that normal? Is it just a different variant of the K mount?

Should I ditch this lens or is it fine to go on using it?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
11-11-2017, 12:43 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The lens sounds damaged. I would advise against using it.

If you want, remove the lever entirely and set the aperture via the aperture ring only. Your lens would essentially meter like a Takumar but with AF, but it's better to do that than to damage an expensive camera IMO

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-11-2017, 12:44 PM   #3
Pentaxian

You're correct to be concerned about a tight aperture causing other problems. That part should be vertical not at an angle. Repair might range from easy to impossible depending on parts availability for an old lens. If you just bought it used via EBay or a similar service, it should go back to the seller; a lens that can't mount normally is broken.

Wait for the lens repair experts here to comment. Repair might be a DIY job.
11-11-2017, 12:47 PM   #4
Pentaxian

It's bent. Probably took a fall or something. I wouldn't take any risks with the K-1. You could open up the lens to see whether you can bend it straight again. But only do that if you are good at putting things together again as well as taking them apart.

11-11-2017, 01:15 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A pressed metal part like this aperture lever shouldn't be difficult to straighten up, once you've removed the (in this case, plastic) lens mount, but that's not a job for a beginner, as the contact balls and the springs behind them are easy to scatter if you're not careful. That lens is cheap but remarkably good value, optically, so it would be a shame for it to not be repaired and used. However, how it got damaged and what else might have happened to its other parts is the question here.
11-11-2017, 01:44 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies so far. I definitely won't use this lens until it's repaired--if that happens.

I wonder if I damaged it by screwing it too far when mounting it. I didn't hear the usual click for some reason and it wasn't hard to push it further. This might be because it's made of cheap plastic, which is highly malleable compared with the metal lens socket.
11-11-2017, 09:08 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PiotrM Quote
I wonder if I damaged it by screwing it too far when mounting it. I didn't hear the usual click for some reason and it wasn't hard to push it further. This might be because it's made of cheap plastic, which is highly malleable compared with the metal lens socket.
No...the mount and main body of the lens is quite sturdy and not fragile. The kind of damage you show is what happens when a lens is dropped when attached to a camera. Return to seller.

Steve

11-12-2017, 01:34 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I would think that the damage was caused when the lens was dropped when it wasn't attached to the camera.
11-12-2017, 01:59 PM   #9

Original Poster
I removed some of the screws around the mount ring. After taking out the screw closest to the lever (a.k.a. the "tooth"), it started being much easier to shift back and forth. I then straightened the lever with a pair of pliers. After putting the screw back in, however, the lever was harder to move again. Although it's straight now I'm not going to use the lens unless someone has a suggestion for what could be wrong and how to fix it.
11-12-2017, 02:12 PM   #10
Veteran Member

You have nothing to lose in taking it apart, it won't fit any Pentax. There are tutorials with photo's regarding dismantling somewhere on this forum.
Try putting Pentax lens disassembly database into the search box.

Last edited by pentasonic49; 11-12-2017 at 02:18 PM.
11-15-2017, 11:27 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
No...the mount and main body of the lens is quite sturdy and not fragile.
Oh boy, I wish. I have this lens. When a friend accidentally kicked my tripod, the ball head let go, dropped the lens against the tripod leg -- not all that hard, because I was a few feet away and didn't hear anything -- and totalled the lens, actually breaking it half off the camera. In the middle of the solar eclipse. From the description of the damage, the repair guy said it didn't sound worthwhile to try to fix it. I had to get another.
Agree, if you got it from eBay or similar, they sent you damaged goods, and if it was advertised as being in perfect working order, you should be entitled to a refund. I see you're in Canada. If you want to try to get it fixed, give these guys a call. You could try e-mailing them a photo, but you might have to call to get a reply. They've had my K1000 a couple of times and fixed another lens by mail.
Contact Us - Camera Repair Centre Ltd