Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-12-2017, 06:09 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting K-1 hiccup in Av mode

Has anyone else had an occurrence with the K-1 where the light is bright, the ISO is reasonably high, the aperture is wide, but the camera decides in Av mode that the most appropriate shutter speed is THIRTY SECONDS?

I had it happen to me at least twice yesterday. The lens, for reference, was the D-FA 100/2.8 WR. No flash was attached. 32MB card in slot 1. JPEG mode.

11-12-2017, 07:28 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Are you on the latest firmware update? Sounds like a bug for sure!
11-12-2017, 07:40 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
No, I'm still on 1.00, out of the box!
11-12-2017, 08:07 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What is the charge of your battery. I do not have the K-1 but my K30 and my K-S2 both occasionally pull that sort of stunt when the batteries get really low.

11-12-2017, 08:59 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
No, I'm still on 1.00, out of the box!
Lot of enhancements since the original firmware - I'd recommend an upgrade ASAP.
11-12-2017, 10:19 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had it happen to me at least twice yesterday.
That happens to me all the time. But only when I have the lens cap on........................

I'll 2nd or 3rd the advice on the firmware. Significant improvements from 1.0 to now.
11-12-2017, 01:34 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yup, I'd recommend upgrading the firmware, and if it's still happening then maybe there's an issue with the meter (or dirt in the mirror box).

Does it happen in live view as well?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-12-2017, 02:36 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It only came out of the box at the end of March, and I have mostly cosseted it and treated it with extreme care. I've been too scared to do a firmware update before now because 1.00 gives me all the features I want and need, and bricking a CDN$3000 camera if things went wrong would not be high on my list of things to do. As it is, I've taken about 3K shots on it now, a dollar a shot, and maybe I feel that's enough to risk it? LOL
11-12-2017, 03:10 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As it is, I've taken about 3K shots on it now, a dollar a shot, and maybe I feel that's enough to risk it? LOL
I know many people have a strong aversion to updating firmware. Honestly, I am always nervous about it as well. However, I suspect nearly all of the horror stories about 'bricking' a piece of electronics come either from years ago and equipment that was not as robust as today or from hackers trying something non-standard. If a company as conservative as Pentax thought there was ANY significant possibility of bricking your camera do you think they would even offer firmware updates?

I have had k-x, k-5, k-5IIs, k-3, K-3II, and K-1 and have updated firmware almost immediately whenever a new version comes out for each camera. Never, ever a single issue and that is maybe 4 or 5 updates for each camera.

Just read the instructions through carefully. Make double sure your battery is fully charged and have at it. The updates for the K-1 are significant and if Pentax did not want them installed they would not have gone to all the trouble of releasing them.
11-12-2017, 04:08 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Most modern firmware updates have gone very very smoothly for me.
11-12-2017, 06:31 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It only came out of the box at the end of March, and I have mostly cosseted it and treated it with extreme care. I've been too scared to do a firmware update before now because 1.00 gives me all the features I want and need, and bricking a CDN$3000 camera if things went wrong would not be high on my list of things to do. As it is, I've taken about 3K shots on it now, a dollar a shot, and maybe I feel that's enough to risk it? LOL
I always update, Pathdoc.

Power going off during the process can brick it, so you need to freshly charge the battery, don't just turn it on and look at the status, it could be a different situation after a minute or so under load (such as turning on Live View).

I know you're a careful guy and will do all this.
11-12-2017, 06:39 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
so you need to freshly charge the battery, don't just turn it on and look at the status,
Not sure about the K-1 but my K-3II checked battery and refused to do a firmware update because it was not happy with the state of charge. Looked all green to me but it gave an error message about using a fully charged battery and shut off. I only saw that once and have always used a freshly charged battery since.
11-12-2017, 08:56 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
and have always used a freshly charged battery since.
Yep, we've all seen disparities in battery gauges, the actual level can fool us and the camera, so using freshly charged batteries is always a great idea.

If it means we can't do the update the afternoon we intended, fine, as Pathdoc points out, the stakes are pretty high.
11-12-2017, 09:14 PM - 1 Like   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Not sure about the K-1 but my K-3II checked battery and refused to do a firmware update because it was not happy with the state of charge. Looked all green to me but it gave an error message about using a fully charged battery and shut off. I only saw that once and have always used a freshly charged battery since.
I thought my battery was still charged well enough to do the latest update for my K-1 but it wasn't. The camera displayed a message saying the battery was too low to do the update. Next time I do an update I will just put in a newly recharged battery.

If I can do an update anyone can, so don't make excuses like "I've never done this sort of thing before" or "I am worried about damaging the camera" because it is worth your while to do it.
11-13-2017, 03:26 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I can do the updates - I've done it for my K-5 and for my *istDL before it died (the gentleman who sold me his pre-loved *istDS a while back had thoughtfully done it before he sent it to me). But the thought that I might screw up a brand new K-1 was not one I wanted to entertain.

The fact that it will look at the battery and actively REFUSE the update if there's a chance it could brick itself is greatly reassuring. I'll give it a go next time I empty the card.