Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-12-2017, 08:51 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Aperture ring on any pentax lens to a k-m or istD

Ok here goes I just discovered the apture setting in the k-m camera body is the aperture ring still working or does the camera select a default setting for the aperture I'm not a novis but only just learnt about the lens with out an aperture ring. When I saw them on ebay the other night I thought where has the aperture ring gone now I gotta find out if they still work as they did I think the flash on the camera is not governed by the aperture ring but is governed by the led aperture settings. If you can see what I'm asking would love your help thank you.

Does the aperture ring still have full controll over the shutter speed in av setting and does the auto focus also asist with the opening of the aperture further when the shot is taken. I know in program mode the camera takes full control but in aperture priorty I don't think the camera does take full control if you use the aperture rings and that is why my images have been washed out when using the flash in aperture ring mode/setting.

Last edited by Kombivan; 11-12-2017 at 09:06 PM.
11-12-2017, 09:06 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am not sure if I understand the question right or not but here goes. To use an aperture ring on the digital Pentax bodies you nee to go into the menu and select allow use of aperture ring. then you can select the aperture setting you want using the ring. If t has an A setting on the ring then you can set it on A and use the camera body Wheel to select the setting. If it is a DA lens then there is no ring and you select the aperture setting using the wheel on the camera body
11-12-2017, 09:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
NO I am more advanced a user than that cert 4 photography but that was 10 years ago.

---------- Post added 11-12-17 at 09:13 PM ----------

Actually knowing what I know today an istd with larger mega pixls and a 3" lcd screen would be a better camera than todays camera as everything worked on them maybe tomorrow I will have a different view.
11-12-2017, 09:19 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Watch this.

11-12-2017, 09:22 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kombivan Quote
Does the aperture ring still have full controll over the shutter speed in av setting and does the auto focus also asist with the opening of the aperture further when the shot is taken. I know in program mode the camera takes full control but in aperture priorty I don't think the camera does take full control if you use the aperture rings and that is why my images have been washed out when using the flash in aperture ring mode/setting.
I have no idea what you are trying to say in your first paragraph but I'll take a shot at this one.
1) Does the aperture ring still have full control over the shutter speed? No, the aperture ring controls the aperture not the shutter speed.
2) Does the auto focus also assist with the opening of the aperture? No, the auto focus has nothing to do with the aperture, shutter speed or any other exposure component.
3) I know in Program mode the camera takes full control. Well, no it does not. That would be 'green' mode or 'auto' mode. In Program you determine one factor and the camera selects the other to achieve correct exposure.
4) If you are using the camera in Av mode then the lens aperture setting should be on 'A' if you want to use the aperture ring then you need to be in 'M' mode and use stop down metering.
11-12-2017, 09:23 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Does the aperture ring still have full controll over the shutter speed in av setting and does the auto focus also asist with the opening of the aperture further when the shot is taken
No the aperture ring has no control over the shutter speed. The camera does that thru the metering to set the shutter speed That is why if using the ring then you do stop down metering. so the camera knows the aperture setting and adjusts the shutter speed accordingly.
11-12-2017, 10:11 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Ok here goes I just discovered the apture setting in the k-m camera body is the aperture ring still working or does the camera select a default setting for the aperture I'm not a novis but only just learnt about the lens with out an aperture ring. When I saw them on ebay the other night I thought where has the aperture ring gone now I gotta find out if they still work as they did I think the flash on the camera is not governed by the aperture ring but is governed by the led aperture settings. If you can see what I'm asking would love your help thank you.

The camera cannot sense the position of the aperture ring when it's away from "A", so it will just stop down to whatever setting you chose on it without setting the appropriate shutter speed. That is, unless you stop-down meter.

TLDR:
if your lens has an "A" setting, use it. set the aperture via the camera body.
if your lens doesn't have an "A" setting, follow the instructions in the article I linked above.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-13-2017, 12:39 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The camera cannot sense the position of the aperture ring when it's away from "A",

This is what I was after thank you.

---------- Post added 11-13-17 at 12:44 AM ----------

No thats not it as a = aperture, does the flash read the aperture when in aperture priorty and using the aperture ring?

---------- Post added 11-13-17 at 12:47 AM ----------

ok does the camera think there is no flash when using aperture priorty via the aperture ring?

---------- Post added 11-13-17 at 12:56 AM ----------

The reason this is important to me is for 20 years I've been taking photos via Aperture priorty since I got a digital camera 15 years ago the flash has always been over exposed until recently I started using program mode which fixed my problem but I want to get back to aperture priority when I understand this over exposing when in Av when using the flash and ring aperture for setting the aperture. If I have to set the aperture in the camera body I will have to get a different camera as the K-m doesn't have the setting on the top of the camera but in the lcd viewer which would be a pain to change all the time.
11-13-2017, 01:14 AM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

No thats not it as a = aperture, does the flash read the aperture when in aperture priorty and using the aperture ring?
The flash won't know the aperture unless the aperture ring is set to "A", and consequently P-TTL automation will not work if you set the aperture using the ring.

The reason this is important to me is for 20 years I've been taking photos via Aperture priorty since I got a digital camera 15 years ago the flash has always been over exposed until recently I started using program mode which fixed my problem but I want to get back to aperture priority when I understand this over exposing when in Av when using the flash and ring aperture for setting the aperture. If I have to set the aperture in the camera body I will have to get a different camera as the K-m doesn't have the setting on the top of the camera but in the lcd viewer which would be a pain to change all the time.
Here's what you need to do to accomplish what you're after:

1. Set the aperture ring to "A".
2. Set the mode dial on top of the camera to Av
3. Select the aperture you want using the e-dial on the camera
4. Fire away happily

Again, never turn the aperture ring away from "A" and you should be ok

On the K-m, you should be able to get all the status info to appear on the rear LCD, since there is no top screen. Try pressing the info button.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-13-2017, 01:32 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah I know that is what I have to do but I don't like it. Just needed to double check what I was thinking.

---------- Post added 11-13-17 at 01:44 AM ----------

If I wanted flowing water I would just stop the aperture down or if I wanted good wedding photos just open the aperture right up and the flash would reduce brightness and focus was the only concern now I have to rethink what I do every time I take a photo what a pain I will have to look at everything from a different perspective even though nothing has changed. The good thing is this will only happen in flash mode.

---------- Post added 11-13-17 at 01:54 AM ----------

I'll just use the aperture ring like a meter then set it in the camera and go with it. Somthing tells me these new digital cameras won't work the same as the old film camera's when seeking some effects as the makers of the camera's haven't remembered or accomodated for the partictular effect I like to capure. I think with the flash there will be no difference in the results achieved using Av mode as compared to program mode.
11-13-2017, 03:23 AM   #11
Pentaxian

There is no difference between an aperture of (say) f/8 using the ring and f/8 setting through the camera, EXCEPT that the digital body knows what the aperture is when you set it through the camera. So LEAVE IT ON A.

If it's a pre-A series lens that has no A setting, then your functionality is indeed much reduced. Flash will have to be set completely manually, and TTL exposure with either the stop-down method or manually calculating how many stops away from full open you are and set shutter speed accordingly (the camera meters those lenses as if they are always full open unless you use the stop-down method).
11-13-2017, 06:37 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What flash are you using? Flash is an area where there are complex interactions. The LX for example metered flash off the film. The istD I think was the last digital Pentax to measure off the sensor. All brands of Modern digital cameras use a preflash technique to measure flash output. There were known issues in accuracy with the older methods on digital. Some older flash units are safe on digital (some are not due to high trigger voltages) and use an auto thyristor to measure light output. On digital with aperture control I normally dial down output of the flash and avoid wide apertures at short distances.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 11-13-2017 at 06:42 AM.
11-13-2017, 07:40 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

I would recommend finding a good book about DSLR photography, the fundamentals, as the best starting point here.
11-13-2017, 08:29 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
There were known issues in accuracy with the older methods on digital.
Oddly enough I've never had this problem. My experience of analogue TTL protocol on the *istDS was sweet until my AF280T decided it was never going to do anything ever again except discharge at full power, and the 080C ringflash at close range is sweet.
11-13-2017, 09:56 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Oddly enough I've never had this problem. My experience of analogue TTL protocol on the *istDS was sweet until my AF280T decided it was never going to do anything ever again except discharge at full power, and the 080C ringflash at close range is sweet.
Every brand of camera switched from direct read off the sensor to a form of P-TTL style metering (preflash, measure, fire) and there are articles out there that suggest it was due to inaccuracy. However I did not use any digital models with this feature enough to say if it was true generally or if there was a niche that was a problem - ultimately the entire market moved this way however. Likely because you can't do any sort of matrix metering with the reflection off the sensor vs. direct metering. In any case - water under the bridge - it is what it is.