Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-15-2017, 09:39 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ebay is a bad place for lenses in my personal experience. Even "well described" people seem to have wildly different views of what words mean and they take bad pictures - one might think on purpose. Ask for good high grade pictures and ask for clarification around anything in doubt. Camera's are a little less difficult to buy but be careful about descriptions and ask lots of questions.

11-16-2017, 07:27 AM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I looked at eBay and had trouble not buying something! I think there is a reasonable amount of protection for the eBay buyer if the item isn't as described, but read the fine print.

I'd probably get a K-50 and buy the replacement actuator at the same time.

Your K100D might be worth something as a parts camera to someone.
Interesting. I am currently considering the K-5. Not sure I want to buy a used camera that already has a well known problem, or if I am up for fixing that. Have you done that repair?
11-17-2017, 10:03 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No, but how hard could it be? I sometimes sweat a little in the middle, wondering if it's all going to go together right, but usually pull through. I'd rather do camera repair than plumbing.
11-18-2017, 02:13 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by scaffnet Quote
Interesting. I am currently considering the K-5. Not sure I want to buy a used camera that already has a well known problem, or if I am up for fixing that. Have you done that repair?
K-50 has 12-bit RAW and a plastic body vs. the K-5 14-bit RAW and a metal body. That seems like case closed, right there.

What are the purported advantages of the K-50 over the K-5? Slightly cheaper?

11-18-2017, 04:57 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
K-50 has 12-bit RAW and a plastic body vs. the K-5 14-bit RAW and a metal body. That seems like case closed, right there.

What are the purported advantages of the K-50 over the K-5? Slightly cheaper?
Newer generation autofocus (slightly?) (IXi vs. IX), more movie options, and I thought some LiveView benefits but I can't be sure. I had a K-50 and recall slight tradeoffs that I would lose if I went to a K-5. I ended up with a K-3 when I upgraded.
11-19-2017, 12:10 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Here the differences are described by Ricoh, maybe a review would have info about how they affect real-life shooting conditions.

Ricoh Imaging - SAFOX IXi: a more accurate and responsive... | Facebook

You could always go for the K-5 II, that has SAFOX X, though I don't know if the prices start to increase significantly there.