Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2017, 09:07 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
The smart money is usually in the mid-tier technology that isn't overpriced, but exceeds today's minimums to match tomorrow's.
I'm generally looking at last years 'best of'. That has for years been the sweet spot price / performance, at least for MB's and CPU's. HDs and SSDs watch for sales at online sellers.

11-15-2017, 09:43 AM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
you'll need to reinvest in keeping up with new minimums for newer OS, more demanding software and larger files.
Nope. The same old OS and software will keep on trucking for many, many years.

OCD is not a good look and gosh, it gets expensive.
11-15-2017, 10:41 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
Nope. The same old OS and software will keep on trucking for many, many years.
Yes, if you donʻt want or need to upgrade your OS or software, a minimum spec mini Mac or iMac is fine. I am not familiar with PC/Windows.

Iʻm also coming from a perspective as an educator and life-long learner. For example, Adobe Photoshop CS5 is fine, as was that Mac OS of that gen, but Iʻd be negligent to teach students CS5 when at home, or college, or work, they donʻt know the advances in Photoshop 2017 CC.

I have also experienced new peripherals, newer camera RAW files, etc, not supported with older OS and/or software unless some third-party offers a usable driver or patch.

If itʻs just me on a deserted island, yes, I could go for probably 10 years with the same camera, same software and hardware. But then when I leave Gilliganʻs Island, itʻs a huge shock to get up to speed with the current OS and software changes over many versions.

And then there is cyber-security......
11-15-2017, 01:17 PM   #34
mee
Veteran Member

i5 8600 cpu
16 gb ddr4 ram
gtx 1050 or greater gpu
and a 7200 rpm western digital HDD (avoid Seagate)

I wouldn't listen to the voices saying you need an SSD. Plus when they nuke themselves (and eventually they will.. ) you will lose everything on them. That's just the nature of SSD. HDD have a greater chance of developing issues, but the issues are less likely to be suddenly catastrophic compared to ssds.

That said, if you have a solid backup routine, then the SSD as a boot drive can help increase the speed of both booting and application loading.

11-15-2017, 03:40 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I wouldn't listen to the voices saying you need an SSD
Not saying one really needs one but after I upgraded my PC boot-drive to SSD and seeing the speed increase, my ASUS 2 in 1, my older daughters win-7 DELL laptop and my younger daughters ASUS 2 in 1 got the same treatment.
Just recently installed a Samsung 960EVO m.2 250GB boot/applications drive in the PC. It is about 4 times faster than a SSD!

edit: I am running an almost 2 year old PC with MSI M5 Z170 gaming motherboard (has dual m.2 slots) Intel 6700k Sky-lake (running stock clock speed) with liquid cooling (very quiet) 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 memory (16GB would have been plenty) GTX970 founders edition (exhausts the hot air outside of the case) graphics card and a 750W power supply. Overkill maybe but DSS and Registax sure run pretty fast.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 11-15-2017 at 04:22 PM.