Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2017, 10:13 PM   #1

Is this dust or fungus?

I just bought a lens, gave it the “flashlight test” and saw it’s got particles inside.
It’s slightly larger particles than one of my other dusty lenses.

I was wondering does it look like dust or fungus to you guys?

The streaking is from me starting to clean it , and the larger white things at 2:00 are smudges.

Macro Photo of the rear element. 1:1

11-13-2017, 10:15 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Possibly a bit of both. That hazy area near the center could be fungus. Could you try shooting the lens at a sideways angle?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-13-2017, 11:08 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I see haze. Even if it is dust, that is a lot of dust.
11-13-2017, 11:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The darker rings around the spots make it look like beginning fungus to me. It is the beginning of something really bad. I have seen it before. Clean it now.

11-13-2017, 11:28 PM   #5

Original Poster
There's no hazing, the areas between spots are clear it's just the way the light shows up in the photos (at least that's how it looks looking through a loop).
The rear element is recessed 3/4 of an inch so I can't really get an angled shot of it.

Here I've got some more shots of it.

11-13-2017, 11:44 PM   #6

The stuff in the middle looks like fungus - the fractal thing growing out from a central point - It's kinda pretty when it's on somebody else's lens
6 Days Ago - 1 Like   #7

My impression is that it is dust due to the particle edges appearing particularly clean and sharp (3rd image Post #5) - but that is one hell of an amount of dust (if that is what it really is where has the lens been - in a war zone?).

With fungus I would expect the spots to be more 'fuzzy' and have the beginnings of spreading fibrils (mycelium?) but it may be early stage.

I take it the particles are inside the lens therefore you cannot reach them?

In any event if the lens was mine I would be looking to have it inspected and cleaned by an expert in this field rather than rely on what I or anyone else may think it is even if it does not appear to affect IQ
6 Days Ago   #8
Veteran Member

If the seller described it as clean you could request a refund because that is not a normal amount of dust. Whether you want to keep it and try fixing it yourself depends on what lens it is and how much you paid for it. It might be as simple as removing the front element and blowing it off or rinsing it in distilled water. If it's the beginnings of fungus between two lenses in a fixed group it would take an expert to clean.

What lens is it? If it's one you only plan to use wide open you might do just fine since the spots shouldn't show up until smaller apertures. (You might notice slightly more fuzziness, flare, or aberrations, but it might not be that bad.) If you decide to keep it, I would definitely recommend storing it someplace dry to prevent growth if it is fungus. The cheapest method is to put it in a ziploc freezer bag with some desiccant packs.

6 Days Ago   #9
Pentaxian

Was it stored in a hard sided case? As the velveteen inside them degrades, it can produce little particles like this that can and do stick to glass surfaces due to electrostatic charge. They are easily wiped off exterior surfaces, but they'll migrate inside the lens and stick to the exposed surfaces adjacent the aperture.

What's the lens model? It may be a simple matter of unscrewing the front or rear group and giving a few quick puffs with a rocket blower.
6 Days Ago   #10

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your thoughts on it.
I think everyone's in agreement its bad.

I'm not going to let it near my K70 or other lenses.

It's a Tamron/promaster AF zoom lens, which I got for $18, not worth having someone clean it.

I learned an important lesson Always have the seller check for fungus.
I thought what were the chances of fungus? Well I got “lucky”.

Anyone want to buy an Uncle Miltons fungus farm? lol
4 Days Ago   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pentax360 Quote

I'm not going to let it near my K70 or other lenses.
Fungus cannot jump form lens to lens. This is an idiotic myth that is constantly perpetuated on online camera forums and needs to die now. Every surface of every element of every lens you own already has fungal spores on it. So do your camera's mirror and viewfinder surfaces. Spores are omnipresent in the environment, and if air can get into the lens, then so can the spores.

The ONLY thing that causes to grow on gear is storage in an area conducive to fungal growth. Keep your lenses out of damp, warm, and dark areas and they won't get fungus, even if stored next to a badly infected lens.

This lens is perfectly safe to use, and honestly, that amount of fungus/particles at that location in the lens will have zero effect on your images. So shoot away!