Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2017, 01:15 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 08amczb Quote
The DA35 F2.4 is a similar lens, but with wider field of view, and this one is cheap.
Other than portraits, I agree the DA 35mm f/2.4 is both affordable and a more comfortable focal length with her K3. But to me the obvious next affordable and practical choice would be the Pentax DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL WR. It's the typical underrated kit lens that you can also find used as many photographer "upgrade". But for size and price and quality, it's excellent.

Pentax DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL WR Zoom Lens 21880 B&H Photo

Another suggestion would be the Pentax HD DA 40mm f/2.8 Limited pancake. It's incredibly small, a bit wider and more practical for street photography and general use. You can also find the non-HD version (green ring instead of red) for less $, but the out-of-focus areas are a bit more harsh and it has less coatings on the elements, so a bit less contrast or flare resistant.

Pentax HD Pentax DA 40mm f/2.8 Limited Lens (Silver) 21400 B&H

....and if you think she's not committed to a DSLR, I'd suggest a Ricoh GR II. With its fixed 28mm wide angle lens, it's nice and small but 16MP sensor will deliver.

Ricoh GR II Digital Camera 175843 B&H Photo Video

11-19-2017, 01:26 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A couple of examples of "inside a car" shots might help. The car is a small convertible. The first shot is at 23mm, close enough to the DA 21mm f3.2 lens. I think for a shot of someone in the car, you need something between 15 and 24mm.

This shot is with the widest (or almost) field of view you can get for the K3, same car. The lens is the DA 10-17mm fisheye zoom, which uses barrel distortion to get this exceptionally wide field of view. The distortion makes people look weird so it probably isn't the lens you want, it's just an example of the most you can expect to cram into one shot.

11-19-2017, 02:38 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One other thing, it may be obvious but the time to buy lenses is around black friday. There is already a black friday preparation post on this site. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Last edited by Kevin B123; 11-19-2017 at 02:38 PM. Reason: spelling
11-19-2017, 10:36 PM   #19

Original Poster
Wow lots of replies! I haven't read all of them yet, but I will.

To answer the preliminary questions:

We've discussed what lens she'd like and she has no idea. She hasn't learned much of the technical side of this yet.

She'd prefer a practical to a super-romantic gift. I'll still surprise her, but this would make her happier than a non-functional gift. I still surprise her with roses for no reason though.

I'm actually posting this now because of black friday and cyber monday coming up. I'd like to know what to look for before I start looking.

Cost wise, I'd like between $100 and $250 at the most, and used is fine.

Okay, back to reading all the replies!

~~ Edit ~~

Okay having read all the replies, (although I'm still reading the links) here's a bit more info:

We live in the Pacific NW, USA, so it's very wet here, but we're used to electronics being delicate, and hadn't thought of taking pictures out in the rain. We sail in the summer, so it's used on the boat some times.

Most all of her pictures are product pictures for my small business. I'd attach a link so you could see what she's dealing with, but I don't know if it's allowed. It's almost all polished, reflective copper products.

The inside car shots are because I've sold several cars lately, she took the pics and we just flat out couldn't get shots inside.

Obviously she's just starting out, but she adores her camera and treats it like a baby. She really loves taking pictures and has been watching some how to videos so far.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by Bossmanicus; 11-19-2017 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Answering more questions
11-20-2017, 07:44 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

DA 18-135 used should work within your budget or close and it is weather resistant and has a wide range. If you can't find one that is in budget, look for a DA or DAL 18-55 WR. You may also be able to buy the DA or DAL 50-200 WR the two work well as a set.
11-20-2017, 08:39 AM   #21
Pentaxian

If you wanna go wide just get her a Samyang 8mm for appealing in the car portraits. You'll get the entire car and neighboring city in the photo.

I'd say everyone is overthinking it though. If she doesn't already have one get a 18-55 WR lens and (maybe) a DA 35. This combo is limiting enough for a beginner to really learn, and is plenty cheap enough not to slam you on money. But it will give you great results and broaden her horizons. Plus the second you give a beginner more expensive lenses the more afraid they are to break them.

My 2 cents.
11-20-2017, 08:45 AM - 2 Likes   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The 8mm is great but so very specialized. I still think the 18-135 or 18-55 is the best first step.

11-20-2017, 08:47 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The 8mm is great but so very specialized. I still think the 18-135 or 18-55 is the best first step.
It was a bit of a joke, but I know I'd be ecstatic if someone got me one for Christmas
11-20-2017, 09:07 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There is a DA-L 18-50 collapsible lens in the marketplace well within budget.
11-20-2017, 09:29 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You might look for a Pentax DA 16-45mm f4. This lens was discontinued a few years ago so you can't find it new, and it has sort of fallen out of favor because Pentax released other lenses that do more stuff. I've seen great prices on used ones, and it should be well within your budget. It's the cheapest way to get as wide as 16mm. I must have some car show photos with it.
11-20-2017, 10:37 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
You might look for a Pentax DA 16-45mm f4. This lens was discontinued a few years ago so you can't find it new, and it has sort of fallen out of favor because Pentax released other lenses that do more stuff. I've seen great prices on used ones, and it should be well within your budget. It's the cheapest way to get as wide as 16mm. I must have some car show photos with it.
That lens also has a reputation for lens barrel wobble and decenterng but quite a few people swear by them.
11-20-2017, 12:21 PM - 2 Likes   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
That lens also has a reputation for lens barrel wobble and decenterng and quite a few people swear at them.
Fixed it for you, no charge.
11-20-2017, 01:35 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Fixed it for you, no charge.

LOL - I meant what I said but yes many may mean that too!
11-20-2017, 01:39 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you'd like to go really wide, there's the 10-17mm See Pentax SMCP-DA 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 ED Autofocus Lens 21580 B&H
11-20-2017, 02:03 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The 10-17 is a nice lens but a little gimmicky for some. I ended up selling mine and getting a 16-50 at a great price.
As a beginner, I'd really go for the 18-55 WR. They're cheap as chips as they come with the camera and everyone sells them when they start to upgrade. Then, you have a bit spare to get a 55-300 later and have a really good full range