Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2017, 03:05 AM - 2 Likes   #1

Help with buying a lens for GF for Christmas

So with Christmas coming up I thought I would get my girl a lens. But I know absolutely diddly squat about cameras.

She has a Pentax K3 that we bought off the market here (thanks!). She's still new and learning.

Right now she has a DA 50 1.8 (I don't even know what that means), but I know she has problems with taking pictures inside the car etc, because it's zoomed in too far. Is there some sort of good quality no zoom lens? Or an adjustable zoom lens that will zoom all the way out for pictures that are up close? Obviously it would be best if it were something she could grow with.

Sorry for my complete and utter newbie-ness. Thanks for any help!

11-19-2017, 03:43 AM   #2
Forum Member

Hi! Good on you, what a nice idea

Let me tell you about lenses. DA 50 1.8 is a no zoom lens, we call that a prime lens, you cannot change the view through the lens. When you say it is very “zoomed in,” this means it has quite a narrow field of view. This is defined by the focal length, the first number of the lens, 50mm.

A smaller number gives you a wider field of view, so it will feel more “zoomed out”. 50mm is quite tight on a K3, especially in a car!

What lens you want to buy for your girlfriend will depend on your budget and what else she has already. You can spend anywhere from $20 to $2000+ on a lens. Although it may ruin the surprise, she may already have a good idea of what lens she would like best!
11-19-2017, 03:53 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi,
Yep, what's the budget first, then new or used?.
Is this to be used inside all the time or outside in a wet climate?,
Answers to this kind of question inform the choces available.
There are two good standard kit zooms that are commonly recommended, the DA 18-135mm WR and the DA 16-85 WR (there are lots of other letters in the full titles).
Both have an internal motor so are much more quiiet than the prime she has, then there are also 'fast' zooms on and off brand.
Good luck hunting.
11-19-2017, 03:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

If this is the only lens she has, i have multiple suggestions based on your budget.
The DA35 F2.4 is a similar lens, but with wider field of view, and this one is cheap. While it's much more usable in small spaces, it isn't wide enough to be comfortable in a car.
The 16-85 is a high quality zoom lens, so the field of view, which is too narrow for your girl friend is adjustable from wide angle to small tele in this case. I would go with this if you can afford. (Here in Hungary it would be more pricy than a usual gift.)

11-19-2017, 05:26 AM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I suggest a little research first, perhaps by both of you:

SLR Camera Lenses ? SLR Lenses Explained

Choosing a Lens: camera lenses explained - What Digital Camera

Recommended Pentax Gear 2016 - Gear Guides | PentaxForums.com

it might be good to review she has to start with:

the in depth review of the camera she has ( which I also have )

Pentax K-3 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

and the in depth review of lens she has ( which I also have )

Pentax 50mm Prime Lens Shootout Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

[ you can review different cameras and lenses by looking under " cameras " and " lenses " above ]

you should realize that the camera has a "cropped filter " - APS-C - not a " full frame " filter

this does not limit your choice of lens but it does alter the " field of view " the lens provides ( not the focal length ) the simplest way I can explain is this:

cropped vs full frame sensor - Bing

there is nothing wrong with that decision a lot of us only use cropped sensor cameras.

the only thing to realize is that a photo taken by a 50 mm lens used on a cropped filter does not get you the exact same photo as you would get if you used a full frame camera using that lens all other things being equal

" kit lenses " are generally less expense but servable lenses often sold in combination with camera bodies and are an ok starting point if you can't afford new " better " lenses

Remember that numerous people have never gone " beyond " a kit lens and that " kit lenses " have taken fantastic photos

__________________________________________________________________________________________

when you have found what lens ( or lenses ) you are looking for, remember to check out the Market Place here

I have gotten some excellent lenses from other members

---------- Post added 11-19-17 at 06:28 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
Hi,
. . . There are two good standard kit zooms that are commonly recommended, the DA 18-135mm WR and the DA 16-85 WR (there are lots of other letters in the full titles).
Both have an internal motor so are much more quiiet than the prime she has, then there are also 'fast' zooms on and off brand.
Good luck hunting.
not sure I would call the DA 16 - 85 WR a kit lens

Last edited by aslyfox; 11-19-2017 at 10:08 AM.
11-19-2017, 06:14 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

You have a few choices

For lenses that do not zoom in and out the least expensive and have autofocus that I recommend and have are below
(The lower the number in front of the mm means a wider angle and better for tight spaces like the car (or for big landscapes). The lower "f/number" means better low light ability (this is a vast simplification as there are other advantages too).

35 mm DA L /f2.4 right now in the US it can be had for a bit less than $150. But it may not be wide enough for using in the car.
The HD DA 21 mm f/3.2 might fill the bill, its around $420
she could wider still with the HD DA 15mm f/4 around 460

You could also consider a zoom lens:

Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 for under $400
Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 for around $300

I don't have either, But both are well reviewed here.

For more zoom range the Pentax DA 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 is nifty little lens giving the wide angle that would be useful in the car but also some really nice ability to zoom in when she wants it. It's one of my favorite travel lenses and will cost around just under $400

the prices are from B&H photo.

Good luck, she's got a great boyfriend!
11-19-2017, 06:18 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If you want it to be a surprise I have 2 recommendations. The least expensive and more versatile is the DA 18-135 you can get this for around $225 used on the forum here or Ebay and $340 new.

The other suggestion is the DA 16-85 the range is narrower so it is not quite as versatile as the 18-135 but it is better optically. It is also more expensive around $400 used and $550-650 new.

11-19-2017, 07:47 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If tight spaces are important the DA 12-24 is a good option. The 18-135 and 16-85 previously mentioned are better all around choices but for inside a car or small room the 12-24 is able to capture much wider. As others have said budget and a bit more info may help us guide you.
11-19-2017, 09:05 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Since this is a gift for someone you are trying to romance, have you considered not getting her a lens for her camera, or if you get a lens make sure it's more expensive than the camera. My limited experience in giving romantic gifts is to avoid practical and sensible at all costs and try for something different from previous gifts because if the latest gift isn't an upgrade on the previous one, you obviously care less than you did before.

P.S. If you really want her to have an expanded lens selection (probably a good idea since having only the DA 50 is pretty limited) offer to get lenses in return for being able to use the camera yourself. If you end up never using it, so much the better, but at least you didn't give her a gift that will be received like a new vacuum cleaner.

Last edited by RGlasel; 11-19-2017 at 09:12 AM. Reason: added postscript
11-19-2017, 10:20 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
not sure I would call the DA 16 - 85 WR a kit lens
Well it does sell with the K-3ii here as a kit, but I take your point. It's not an average lens.
11-19-2017, 10:39 AM - 1 Like   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
Well it does sell with the K-3ii here as a kit, but I take your point. It's not an average lens.
I stand corrected
11-19-2017, 11:36 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The 16-85 would be a good one. The 18-135 is another good one. The da35 is the least expensive one thats good.
11-19-2017, 12:47 PM   #13

There is also another option. You could give her a gift certificate and let her choose the lens herself. If bought her a really nice lens it doesn't mean she will like it or use it. Everybody has their preferences for the various types of pictures they take. I have friends who take train pictures and use 70-200 or 70-210 lenses almost all the time, then I have other friends who like landscape pictures and use wide angle lenses with shorter focal lengths. People here have suggested very nice lenses, but only she will know what lens she will want to use the most. You may want to take her to a store that sells lenses, so she can try them on her camera to get the feel for the different focal lengths.

Last edited by GMounk; 11-19-2017 at 01:01 PM.
11-19-2017, 12:51 PM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Bossmanicus Quote
So with Christmas coming up I thought I would get my girl a lens. But I know absolutely diddly squat about cameras.

She has a Pentax K3 that we bought off the market here (thanks!). She's still new and learning.

Right now she has a DA 50 1.8 (I don't even know what that means), but I know she has problems with taking pictures inside the car etc, because it's zoomed in too far. Is there some sort of good quality no zoom lens? Or an adjustable zoom lens that will zoom all the way out for pictures that are up close? Obviously it would be best if it were something she could grow with.

Sorry for my complete and utter newbie-ness. Thanks for any help!
What's your budget? As a general walkaround lens, the 18-135mm is great to have, as it covers all bases. If you have more to spend, the 16-85mm has higher image quality and is a bit wider.

Pentax HD PENTAX DA 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6 ED DC WR Lens 21387 B&H
Pentax SMC DA 18-135mm F/3.5-5.6 ED AL (IF) DC WR Lens 21977 B&H

HD Pentax-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
Pentax-DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-19-2017, 12:56 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Learning with prime lenses, with the restrictions but also rewards that they bring, may help her to grow as a photographer.

If your budget allows for it, get her the DA21, a gorgeous and gorgeously-rendering moderate wideangle prime. Very versatile and ultra-compact lens for travel, landscape, street, and general-purpose shooting. Might do the car trick too (depending on your car). Meaningful companion to the DA50 which she already has. DA21 would be her first Limited series lens, which may induce the desire for more of these - you have been warned.

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 11-19-2017 at 02:04 PM.