Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2017, 12:24 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The Vivitar is PK mount. Once the long flange is removed it will work with any K-mount camera. It will work with any K-mount camera that doesn't have a KAF2 mount in any case. The Jena is a PKA mount.

To remove the flange there are usually 4 or so small screws on the black ring. These are not Phillips head, they will be JIS cross type. You need to be careful removing them because a Phillips screwdriver can strip them. If you are going to collect or work on old Japanese lenses it is a good idea to invest in a JIS screwdriver set. It is sometimes possible to use a flat head screwdriver to remove a JIS screw as well.
Thanks Boriscleto,
The rear black part sustaining the long flange has only 2 screws. I'll do as you suggest : buying JIS screwdrivers. They do not seem very common (except for motorcycles !) for precision work. Someone suggests importing from Germany or Japan, but how to be sure of the right size ?
Anyway thanks a lot, I'll keep you informed of mu success (I hope),
armel

12-10-2017, 12:34 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by armel Quote
but how to be sure of the right size ?
000 does most lens screws.
12-10-2017, 12:39 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The JIS set I bought has 1 handle and bits for 00 & 000.
12-11-2017, 01:34 AM   #19

alfa75ts and boriscleto,
Many thanks for giving me these details, it will save me time & money,
armel

---------- Post added 12-11-17 at 01:48 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
perhaps this info might be of interest to people reading this thread:

" The infamous "Ricoh pin". Where Pentax created the "KA" mount in order to support Program and Tv exposure automation, Ricoh had to create their own variant, which has a protruding pin placed in a somewhat unfortunate location, namely in the exact spot where Pentax years later placed the autofocus drive shaft. Such a Ricoh lens will get stuck when mounted on a Pentax autofocus body - the Ricoh pin will get lodged in the drive shaft and prevent the lens from being removed without deployment of finesse, patience and tools.

The other trap is the shield that protects the aperture stop down lever. The image to the left shows what the shield should look like and does look like on a genuine Pentax lens. Some older third party lenses have a much larger shield which prevents mounting the lens on a Pentax DSLR. Current third party lenses (Sigma, Tamron, Rokinon, etc.) have correctly shaped shields (or no shields) and pose no problem. "

The Evolution of the Pentax K-mount - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series
Aslyfox,
Thanks for the information, you write about an "image to the left" showing the shield, it doesn't seem to be attached to your message,
armel

12-11-2017, 03:13 AM   #20
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
alfa75ts and boriscleto,
Many thanks for giving me these details, it will save me time & money,
armel

---------- Post added 12-11-17 at 01:48 AM ----------

Aslyfox,
Thanks for the information, you write about an "image to the left" showing the shield, it doesn't seem to be attached to your message,
armel
sorry about the confusion:

that is language from the article I linked to

if you follow the link - " The evolution of . . . " the image referred to in the quote is under the section

Third Party Variants of the K-mount
12-12-2017, 06:10 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
sorry about the confusion:

that is language from the article I linked to

if you follow the link - " The evolution of . . . " the image referred to in the quote is under the section

Third Party Variants of the K-mount
Aslyfox,
very informative link (+photos of mounts), thanks a lot,
armel

---------- Post added 12-12-17 at 06:34 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by alfa75ts Quote
alfa75ts,
Good link. The article says 1) remove the flange 2) reduce it. Is it necessary to reduce it ? May be the correct mounting happens only after removing the flange.
Is the flange a (really) useless piece of metal ?
armel
12-12-2017, 01:16 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The article says 1) remove the flange 2) reduce it. Is it necessary to reduce it ? May be the correct mounting happens only after removing the flange.
Is the flange a (really) useless piece of metal ?
The flange is there to protect the aperture lever, it is not strictly necessary.

The baffle may be there to improve the optics (reduce reflections?) but you can try the lens without it.

12-13-2017, 05:22 AM   #23

alfa75ts,
Thanks for your answer, it gives me hope ! I received this morning 2 JIS screw drivers but a little too big.
armel
12-14-2017, 04:27 AM   #24

000 does most lens screws.
Dear alfa75ts and boriscleto,
You helped already a lot, but when searching on the internet, there are many precision screwdrivers made in japan. Are they all JIS ? Some sets are
for phones, photography (50 pieces or more !)...Are they suitable in my case ?
Anyway the type +000 seems very rare in those sets. Do you have a specific brand + name of the set, so I can find the same ?
thanks,
armel

Last edited by armel; 12-14-2017 at 04:46 AM.
12-14-2017, 01:47 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, I confess I actually use Phillips Head screwdrivers. Specifically WIHA Phillips Head screwdrivers.

JIS is undoubtedly better but used carefully I have had no problems with the Wiha You MUST use the correct size and the Wiha are very strong (for the size) so you don't need to worry as much about breaking them.

You will probably only need the 000 and 00 but I bought the Wiha 26194 Screwdriver Set which you can get from Amazon and other places.

If you can get the JIS, do so. Otherwise ....
12-15-2017, 03:57 AM   #26

Well, I confess I actually use Phillips Head screwdrivers. Specifically WIHA Phillips Head screwdrivers.

JIS is undoubtedly better but used carefully I have had no problems with the Wiha You MUST use the correct size and the Wiha are very strong (for the size) so you don't need to worry as much about breaking them.

You will probably only need the 000 and 00 but I bought the Wiha 26194 Screwdriver Set which you can get from Amazon and other places.

Dear alfa75ts/Craig, Thanks so much for your precise information. I just ordered a set. It should arrive beginning of January. This set is very much praised by users. I'll keep you informed of my progress,
Once again thanks for the help, I never thought to be able to unscrew any zoom part, but with the right tool...
best regards,
armel
12-28-2017, 07:59 AM   #27

Dear alfa75ts + boriscleto + aslyfox...
Thanks for the information you have shared with me. I received today the wiha Phillips set and the +000 has allowed me to get rid of the long flange.
I have learned something new and it has opened me new possibilities for buying old lenses,
best regards,
armel
12-28-2017, 08:07 AM   #28
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
now

if you don't mind

you owe the forum

please post your photos

and share your knowledge

BTW, you really don't have to if you don't want to