Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
11-19-2017, 07:33 PM   #1

What mount is this? K or PK?

Hey all,
I recently bought a Vivitar (Komine 28xxxx) Auto Telephoto 200mm f/3.5 from my local antique shop.
The review says its a Pentax K mount but it doesn't fit on my Pentax KM (Pentax K mount) so I'm just wondering if someone could tell me what mount it actually is?
I have a SMC Pentax 55mm F1.8 prime and it fits the camera and fits my adapter i use for my M4/3 camera.
I included two photos of the different mounts, first is the 55mm K mount, the second is the 200mm.

Thanks

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Mi A1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Mi A1  Photo 
11-19-2017, 08:04 PM - 1 Like   #2

Vivitar lenses will be clearly marked at the base of the lens as to which mount it is for.

It doesn't look like K mount to me.
11-19-2017, 08:19 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Vivitar lenses will be clearly marked at the base of the lens as to which mount it is for.

Will it be by the aperture numbers?
11-19-2017, 08:43 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks a lot like a Contax mount the lever is between the 2 of the flange prong areas instead of aligned with one of them.

Looking at photos of Vivitar lenses it appears they list the mount in the made in Japan area. Vivitar lens made for Contax cameras looks a lot like your mount and is marked K/AR from what I can see. If I remember correctly Yashica bought out Contax

Last edited by patrick9; 11-19-2017 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Added ifo
11-19-2017, 08:44 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Not always true. Could depend on the manufacturer and/or year.

QuoteQuote:
Me either, no locking notch. Possibly Nikon?

btw, "K" and "PK" are the same, next is "PK/A".
11-19-2017, 09:01 PM   #6

Original Poster
Ok so i just looked up Konica which is the manufacturer and it looks like it could be a Konica F-mount or Konica AR-mount. not Pentax which is not what any review says.
11-19-2017, 09:09 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Konica AR-mount.

11-19-2017, 09:41 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

I have seen one like that, and agree that it is a Konica mount (they look similar to K mount).
11-20-2017, 07:25 AM - 1 Like   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by LSpictures Quote
Will it be by the aperture numbers?
It would be on the barrel near the base of the lens and aperture ring. Usually, but not always on the side opposite of the focus/f-stop indicator line.

QuoteOriginally posted by alfa75ts Quote
Not always true. Could depend on the manufacturer and/or year..
The only Vivitar lenses I've seen that aren't marked are for M42 mount. Since they didn't make mounts for Leica/M39 it is self-evident as to what mount it is. If there are other lenses not marked then I defer to your greater experience.

It could also be for Minolta but I think I see the locking notch positioned on the flange for Konica AR. Difficult to see giving the angle and lighting.
12-10-2017, 10:28 AM   #10

I have a similar problem

Hello,
On the joined photos, we can see the classical flange (2cm?) of a PK mount (Carl Zeiss Jena 70-210mm). I recently bought a Vivitar Japan 70-210mm with a so-called PK mount (that's what the rear cap says). The flange is 3-4cm long. In both cases, there is a mobile piece, this one being not exactly the same size in both cases.
1-Is there a ring allowing this pseudo PK zoom to be considered as a true PK mount ?
2-If not, a friend suggested to "reduce" the size of the flange : unscrew the black rear part to separate it from zoom, put it in a convenient place to reduce it (dremel, file...). I confess the 1st solution would be better.
3-Does someone know the name of a camera which accepts that kind of pseudo K-mount ?(the thread suggests a Konica mount, but which Konica camera ?)
thanks,
armel
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
808 PureView  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
808 PureView  Photo 
12-10-2017, 10:51 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by armel Quote
Hello,
On the joined photos, we can see the classical flange (2cm?) of a PK mount (Carl Zeiss Jena 70-210mm). I recently bought a Vivitar Japan 70-210mm with a so-called PK mount (that's what the rear cap says). The flange is 3-4cm long. In both cases, there is a mobile piece, this one being not exactly the same size in both cases.
1-Is there a ring allowing this pseudo PK zoom to be considered as a true PK mount ?
2-If not, a friend suggested to "reduce" the size of the flange : unscrew the black rear part to separate it from zoom, put it in a convenient place to reduce it (dremel, file...). I confess the 1st solution would be better.
3-Does someone know the name of a camera which accepts that kind of pseudo K-mount ?(the thread suggests a Konica mount, but which Konica camera ?)
thanks,
armel
Yes, this is a K-mount lens (PKA) with the long "Vivitar flange". The problem with the long flange is that it hits the PZ/SDM contacts and won't mount properly on a KAF2 mount. It can usually be removed without any problems. It can be reduced in size with a dremel as well.

The lens in your original post is a Konica mount, the focal flange distance of the AR mount is much shorter than K-mount so an adapter need to be optically corrected. The 70-210 is PKA mount, but it should be checked for the "Ricoh pin".
12-10-2017, 10:54 AM   #12

Hello,
I wrote above that the rear cap of the pseudo Vivitar 70-210mm K mount had PK wrote on it. That's also true of the rear of the zoom, close to the red dot, in red letters one can read P/K.(see attached photo)
Thanks,
armel

---------- Post added 12-10-17 at 11:00 AM ----------

Thanks Boriscleto,
You write "the long flange can be removed without any problems". This seems a bit scaring to me. Without going into details, could you roughly describe the steps to remove this piece of metal ?
Thanks,
armel
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
808 PureView  Photo 
12-10-2017, 11:06 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by armel Quote
Hello,
I wrote above that the rear cap of the pseudo Vivitar 70-210mm K mount had PK wrote on it. That's also true of the rear of the zoom, close to the red dot, in red letters one can read P/K.(see attached photo)
Thanks,
armel

---------- Post added 12-10-17 at 11:00 AM ----------

Thanks Boriscleto,
You write "the long flange can be removed without any problems". This seems a bit scaring to me. Without going into details, could you roughly describe the steps to remove this piece of metal ?
Thanks,
armel
The Vivitar is PK mount. Once the long flange is removed it will work with any K-mount camera. It will work with any K-mount camera that doesn't have a KAF2 mount in any case. The Jena is a PKA mount.

To remove the flange there are usually 4 or so small screws on the black ring. These are not Phillips head, they will be JIS cross type. You need to be careful removing them because a Phillips screwdriver can strip them. If you are going to collect or work on old Japanese lenses it is a good idea to invest in a JIS screwdriver set. It is sometimes possible to use a flat head screwdriver to remove a JIS screw as well.
12-10-2017, 12:03 PM   #14
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

perhaps this info might be of interest to people reading this thread:

" The infamous "Ricoh pin". Where Pentax created the "KA" mount in order to support Program and Tv exposure automation, Ricoh had to create their own variant, which has a protruding pin placed in a somewhat unfortunate location, namely in the exact spot where Pentax years later placed the autofocus drive shaft. Such a Ricoh lens will get stuck when mounted on a Pentax autofocus body - the Ricoh pin will get lodged in the drive shaft and prevent the lens from being removed without deployment of finesse, patience and tools.

The other trap is the shield that protects the aperture stop down lever. The image to the left shows what the shield should look like and does look like on a genuine Pentax lens. Some older third party lenses have a much larger shield which prevents mounting the lens on a Pentax DSLR. Current third party lenses (Sigma, Tamron, Rokinon, etc.) have correctly shaped shields (or no shields) and pose no problem. "

The Evolution of the Pentax K-mount - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series
12-10-2017, 12:14 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
See Flange fix for Vivitar lenses.