Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2017, 04:27 AM   #1

AF540FGZ II "wireless"

Hello

I did not succeed for two days to use
my new AF540FGZ II as a slave-unit in
combination with a K-s2 and DA 3.5-5.6 18-85 mm.

please advice Robert

11-23-2017, 05:06 AM   #2
Veteran Member

If I remember correctly the K-S2 does not support wireless remote flash triggering with the built-in flash. You need another flash on the camera.
(The flash menu has a flash icon + W for wireless in cameras supporting this feature)
11-23-2017, 05:36 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's correct, you would need another P-TTL flash on the camera for proper wireless support with the K-S2. Built-in wireless flash is just one of those features that's reserved for the higher-end models.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-23-2017, 09:52 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
That's correct, you would need another P-TTL flash on the camera for proper wireless support with the K-S2. Built-in wireless flash is just one of those features that's reserved for the higher-end models.
It was supported in low end models until the KS1 came out. The K50 worked this way for example.

Isn't there a manual slave mode on the 540ii that would trigger on manual flash (with or without preflash)? Does the KS2 support manual onboard flash?

11-23-2017, 10:36 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Isn't there a manual slave mode on the 540ii that would trigger on manual flash (with or without preflash)? Does the KS2 support manual onboard flash?
I don't have a AF 540 FGZII at hand, but the manual (p64) indicates that SL2 mode allows use as a simple optical slave. The manual is not clear, but I believe that the on-camera flash should be in "M" (manual) mode to avoid triggering the slave with the P-TTL preflash.

Steve
11-23-2017, 12:30 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

It was supported in low end models until the KS1 came out. The K50 worked this way for example.

It does have manual flash. Maybe someone else knows for sure, but using this probably won't sync things up right.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-23-2017, 01:32 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It does have manual flash. Maybe someone else knows for sure, but using this probably won't sync things up right.
If you use SL1 or SL2 optical triggering on the 540 it will trigger but with zero pttl info. So full manual. SL1 usually fires on any flash and SL2 usually fires ignoring preflash. At least on other brands. This won't do automatic flash exposure but will trigger and manual flash adjustments should work.

11-23-2017, 01:56 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
SL1 usually fires on any flash and SL2 usually fires ignoring preflash
My experience of pentax AF 540 and AF360 is that they will fire on the preflash when in SL2 mode, so manual all round I am afraid
11-24-2017, 03:08 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Robert H Quote
Hello

I did not succeed for two days to use
my new AF540FGZ II as a slave-unit in
combination with a K-s2 and DA 3.5-5.6 18-85 mm.

please advice Robert
Thank you all for your suggestions an advices,I finally succeeded with both the camera and the flash on manual.
I think i stick to my old unit ,the AF-500FTZ which operates excactly the same.
Cheers , Robert
11-24-2017, 06:33 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Robert H Quote
Thank you all for your suggestions an advices,I finally succeeded with both the camera and the flash on manual.
I think i stick to my old unit ,the AF-500FTZ which operates excactly the same.
Cheers , Robert
If I recall correctly the 500 can't give you 1/64th or 1/128th power but that's probably not too limiting.