Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2017, 04:52 AM   #1

SMC Pentax-FA 50mm Macro Clamp knob/action

Hi, I see there has already been previous discussion on this topic, so my apologies if I have missed something.

I have recently bought an otherwise apparently excellent copy of this lens from Japan on eBay. My question concerns the action of the CLAMP knob. Mine rests fairly firmly/tight at the 'off' position. But once out of 'off' it rotates quite freely/loosely, with no equivalent tightness when arriving at the 'on' position (which would then assist in holding it there). As far as its clamping action goes, in MF there is indeed a discernible increase of friction on the focus ring, albeit not that great but it works. I can see that it would assist in its intended purpose, so it at least appears to be effective. Looking at some of the earliest reviews on PF for this lens, there is a suggestion that the CLAMP knob action on my lens may actually be factory-perfect. Could anyone please confirm or otherwise? Many thanks, mike (UK)

11-23-2017, 05:29 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The knob on mine feels that way too. Much too loose after you move it away from the off position.

Good thing they fixed this design issue in the D FA version.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-23-2017, 07:31 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mine too. Very loose in any position other than the off position. On the other hand, this feature is only really intended for use on a copy stand and it works well for that. The “looseness” is not an issue for normal autofocus use. I do wish there was a focus limiter on the lens.
11-23-2017, 09:44 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax Syntax Quote
Mine too. Very loose in any position other than the off position. On the other hand, this feature is only really intended for use on a copy stand and it works well for that. The “looseness” is not an issue for normal autofocus use. I do wish there was a focus limiter on the lens.
The focus limiter is what I miss most from my F 100 Macro. I have the D FA 100 WR and like it but I do miss that feature.

11-23-2017, 11:27 AM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I don´t have the FA 50 but the FA 100 2,8 , since more than 15 years , and the behaviour of the clamp of my lens is exactly what you describe , i.e. resting firmly at "on" and "off" position and loose at the rest of the way. Howver, It does the job increasing the friction when the focusing ring rotates , avoiding shifting in focus due to the own weight of the lens , which is useful mainly for close-up pointing down shots .
11-24-2017, 01:37 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks guys, for these responses.
As I suspected, it appears that the state of my lens is as most others'. So I'm concluding that the FA 50mm Macro lens was actually made that way originally, and the CLAMP knob looseness is therefore not a result of wear-&-tear on my particular copy.
10-16-2020, 07:29 AM   #7

Dear PF members, does anyone know if the clamp in its "ON" position switches off AutoFocus? I know from forum research that in the DFA, the OFF position does, and makes catch-in-focus (CIF) possible. Does this work the same way in this FA-50mm macro, I aim at: is CIF possible with this lens (other than the lens unlock knob trick)?
10-17-2020, 03:37 PM   #8
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I don´t have the FA 50 macro but the FA 100 macro , and with the clamp at the "on" position doesn´t switches off the AF .

10-18-2020, 02:40 PM   #9

jopenmx, thanks for your reply. A step closer to an aswer. Big chance the FA50 will act the same as the FA100.