Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-25-2017, 12:41 PM   #1

Frozen shutter release, low light shooting.

Hi all, apologies if this has been asked before - very new to this, haven't learned the language yet and so might not have recognised it being talked about.

I have a problem when I'm trying to take photos in low light - the shutter just refuses to release, and I can't get the shot. It feels almost like it's jammed, but I'm pretty sure the button is fully depressed, the auto focus still works, there's just no movement of the shutter.
I try adjusting the settings to allow more light, I try changing to a different mode, I try turning off things like shake reduction etc and I just get no reaction when fully pressing the shutter button. The confusing thing is if I go back to previous settings when it did work, it often still won't work again.

It happened this evening - I was using a slow shutter speed without a tripod ( I was just trying to get a quick shot of a possible location for an idea using long exposure times) so I was expecting it to be blurry, but I can't imagine that would stop it working entirely. I got one or two shots then literally moved to a slightly darker place a couple of meters to my left and it froze up - nothing I tried would get it working again.

I've checked the stats and it shouldn't have had a problem with the weather/temperature, so it's something I'm doing wrong - I just have no idea what it is.

Any help would be hugely appreciated!

11-25-2017, 12:44 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Have you tried with completely manual settings ?
11-25-2017, 12:59 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Low light probably means the Af cannot achieve focus, in which case it will not fire. Try manual focus and see if it fires now?
11-25-2017, 01:03 PM   #4
Nel

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Have you tried with completely manual settings ?
Yes, I was in manual this evening.

11-25-2017, 01:07 PM   #5
Nel

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Low light probably means the Af cannot achieve focus, in which case it will not fire. Try manual focus and see if it fires now?
That sounds plausible. If I can I'll try it this evening. I'll report back, cheers!
11-25-2017, 02:27 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree, this sounds like an AF issue since that's one of only a few things that can prevent shutter release. Try switching the switch to manual focus.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-25-2017, 02:38 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not sure what camera you have, but in the setup menu, there is probably an option to set release or focus priority on how the camera handles the decision to fire or not. By default, the priority is probably going to be on focus, so if the camera doesn't think it has it, it won't trip the shutter. On the K3II, you'd go to the "C" section of the menu, then on page 3 is "AF S Setting", and from there, you can select "Focus-priority" or "Release-priority". Your camera might have it in a different place, but hopefully you can poke around and find it. Of note, this is assuming you're in AF S mode for focus. If you are in AF A mode, I don't think you can set this. Putting the camera in manual focus will probably be the easiest first step to try, but know you can probably customize this behavior for other focus modes. And no need to wait until tonight to test. Digital images are cheap to take and delete!

11-25-2017, 05:29 PM   #8
Nel

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Not sure what camera you have, but in the setup menu, there is probably an option to set release or focus priority on how the camera handles the decision to fire or not. By default, the priority is probably going to be on focus, so if the camera doesn't think it has it, it won't trip the shutter. On the K3II, you'd go to the "C" section of the menu, then on page 3 is "AF S Setting", and from there, you can select "Focus-priority" or "Release-priority". Your camera might have it in a different place, but hopefully you can poke around and find it. Of note, this is assuming you're in AF S mode for focus. If you are in AF A mode, I don't think you can set this. Putting the camera in manual focus will probably be the easiest first step to try, but know you can probably customize this behavior for other focus modes. And no need to wait until tonight to test. Digital images are cheap to take and delete!
Sorry I should have said - I have a K-50. I had to wait to get a chance to make conditions dark enough was all.

---------- Post added 11-25-17 at 05:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Sorry I should have said - I have a K-50. I had to wait to get a chance to make conditions dark enough was all.
I've had a go, I couldn't get the camera to freeze as it was doing before but I tried with the manual focus mode and it seemed to solve any delaying or stuttering, so I think you have solved the issue - thank you all!

TBH focussing and focussing modes are the area I need to focus on ('scuse pun) as they're the things I struggle to understand most. The rest of it seems to have clicked but it hasn't - yet. I'll get there I'm sure.

Cheers all!
11-25-2017, 11:01 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nel Quote
TBH focussing and focussing modes are the area I need to focus on ('scuse pun) as they're the things I struggle to understand most. The rest of it seems to have clicked but it hasn't - yet. I'll get there I'm sure.
You managed to get two puns in two consecutive sentences. You will go far here
11-26-2017, 06:51 AM   #10
Nel

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
You managed to get two puns in two consecutive sentences. You will go far here
Haha!

I learned from a master.

Thank you!