Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2017, 05:34 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
I thought it was common sense to stop using a lens that requires 6x the force to mount onto the camera. The thread is for causes and possible solutions, not to tell me to call it all a loss "because it doesn't cost much".
We are trying to offer causes and solutions which may include the solution of not using that lens.

Note: if the lens is scuffing the front of the mount, it's also potentially damaging the back-side of the camera's bayonet tabs.

11-27-2017, 05:35 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The thread is for causes and possible solutions, not to tell me to call it all a loss "because it doesn't cost much".
The most likely causes were identified. pschlute provided a solution (toss it and get another one), and he even provided a reason (they ARE cheap and plentiful). Therefore pschlute was on point.
11-27-2017, 05:42 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
By any chance do you have the auction number or a link to the auction page?

Steve
11-27-2017, 05:43 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That's the thing. When compared to my other M lens it looks no different at all. .
All the screws on the lens mount are tight and recessed as they should be?

11-27-2017, 06:26 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 17dew Quote
All the screws on the lens mount are tight and recessed as they should be?
Yeah the screws look like they're the same as my 200 m. No play in the mount either
11-27-2017, 07:13 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Look at all three locking lugs and see if one is bent.
Good luck to you.
11-27-2017, 10:41 PM   #22
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Can you find a dead old film body that you can unscrew the mount off? That way you can get a good look at what is catching. Great little mystery - let us know what you find out.

11-28-2017, 12:38 AM   #23
Pentaxian

If you have another lens which has other types of issues, you could possibly remove the lens mount from that and put it on the 50 1.7.
11-28-2017, 03:13 AM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

Get a vernier gauge with a lock on it - they are cheap and super useful - even some calipers with a lock - then compare them by feel, check the diameter and the depth of the mount, you will find a difference between this and a good mount. Get the measurement, lock it, and then move it to get a feel of where the fault is.

If it is in the measurement across the shaft of the mount then toss the lens, it's been crushed from the side - else if it is in the depth of the mount then look at how much is is and see whether you could reduce or shift the offending bit of metal.

0.2 of a mm will be enough to bind up a mount totally, and with brass fittings that could be caused by dropping it on it's mount end. Also look at the screws, if they are marred at all then it's probably been taken apart and put back together wrong.

It could be a range of things and still be visually ok, Measuring it precisely will tell you where the problem is, and give a hint as to how to fix it.

No matter what is wrong, you will probably not have an optically optimal lens, keep that in mind.

If you force it so it works, you risk screwing up your mount so that your mount is bad with every other lens you own.
11-28-2017, 10:26 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
I'd check to make sure all of the screws are fully tightened down, then if one of the tangs on the bayonet is bent upward.

If you don't want to shell out for a whole new lens, the mounts on Pentax M and K lenses are all completely interchangeable, so if you can find someone willing to sell you the part or a donor lens cheaply, it's easy enough to switch out.
Here are some pictures of the lens:

https://puu.sh/yvibY/2c12708f7b.jpg
https://puu.sh/yvidH/0ffe8ce456.jpg
https://puu.sh/yvifs/6ece41fd3f.jpg

The only thing I can see is a slight crack in the black plastic next to the metal mount. The screws seem to be in tight. If you'd want any other pics let me know.

The seller of the lens also fully refunded me and told me to keep the lens. So fixing it will be a bit of an experience for me to understand these lenses better.

If there's no obvious problem I'll probably look for a new lens mount.
11-28-2017, 10:43 AM   #26

Nothing obvious from the photos you posted. Get a nice set of JIS drivers and remove the bayonet and try mounting it on the camera. Maybe can see where it is binding that way.
11-28-2017, 10:52 AM   #27
Pentaxian

A photo of the bayonet from the side might reveal any bent bayonet flanges, but I think that might be a difficult photo to take. The Vernier gauge suggestion would probably be a more useful diagnostic, though not everyone has one of those available.
11-28-2017, 02:30 PM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
A photo of the bayonet from the side might reveal any bent bayonet flanges, but I think that might be a difficult photo to take. The Vernier gauge suggestion would probably be a more useful diagnostic, though not everyone has one of those available.
A wooden kitchen matchstick would do the trick. They are about the right thickness for the space on tabs. Using the good lens as a guide find one that is slightly thicker and force it in to compress it (soft wood) or shave it down to fit. Or if it is slightly thinner wrap some sticky cello tape around it.
11-28-2017, 03:15 PM   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The only thing I can see is a slight crack in the black plastic next to the metal mount.
The lens has been dropped or at least banged badly and something is fishy with a couple of the screw heads; they don't look quite like the others. The plating is also worn off a section of the flange adjacent to one of the strange looking heads.

Glad you got a refund though. With any luck you can resolve the mount issue with other damage limited to the plastic collar.

Steve
11-28-2017, 05:28 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The lens has been dropped or at least banged badly and something is fishy with a couple of the screw heads; they don't look quite like the others. The plating is also worn off a section of the flange adjacent to one of the strange looking heads.

Glad you got a refund though. With any luck you can resolve the mount issue with other damage limited to the plastic collar.

Steve
I agree, the third picture looks like the screws on the left side are partially stripped and the mount is scuffed. It is a good thing you (OP) got your money back. I bought a used ME super a year ago at a charity flea market. The camera was beyond repair but it had the same M 50mm f1.7. Mine mounts as easily and smoothly as any other lens on my K-5 and K-3 bodies. I am sure yours has some hidden damage likely from being dropped.