Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2017, 04:00 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Tight fitting Pentax-M 50mm f 1.7?

Hi. I just got a Pentax M 50mm 1.7 on ebay. The lens is in immaculate condition but it seems to take a lot of force to get it on my k-01. To the point where I think it scuffed the mount a little bit.

This doesn't happen with my 200mm which is also an M lens, what could be the cause?

11-27-2017, 04:04 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Maybe a warped mount ring or bent bayonet tabs?

I'd sight along the ring and tabs carefully to see if you can find the offending bend.

A wee bit'o filing (with ALL lens opening covered in masking tape) might reduce the tightness if you can identify the source.
11-27-2017, 04:09 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like it was dropped on the mount. Do a close inspection side be side comparison with your 200. You’ll find the problem spot.
11-27-2017, 04:09 PM   #4

The location of the scuff marks should provide a clue where a possible problem could be.

It may just be the luck of the draw - the mount on the lens as at towards the extreme in one direction of the specified tolerance and the mount in the other direction. Both are still within specifications but combined things work out to being stiff or tight.

11-27-2017, 04:35 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I can not perceive any warping on the mount. The pentax 200mm will go on and turn with no effort, while when i put the 50mm on it will not move at all with the same amount of force.
11-27-2017, 04:44 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The M50 mm are cheap enough on ebay. Get another and sell yours for parts
11-27-2017, 04:50 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
The M50 mm are cheap enough on ebay. Get another and sell yours for parts
Sorry but we're not all in a situation where we can throw away money.

11-27-2017, 04:53 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
Sorry but we're not all in a situation where we can throw away money
Well then throw away the lens. Or would you prefer to keep damaging the camera mount?
11-27-2017, 04:54 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Well then throw away the lens. Or would you prefer to keep damaging the camera mount?
You could leave my thread.
11-27-2017, 04:57 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You could leave my thread.
Honestly, I think he's giving you good advice. The camera is worth more than the lens.
11-27-2017, 04:59 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Honestly, I think he's giving you good advice. The camera is worth more than the lens.
I thought it was common sense to stop using a lens that requires 6x the force to mount onto the camera. The thread is for causes and possible solutions, not to tell me to call it all a loss "because it doesn't cost much".
11-27-2017, 05:24 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Unfortunately that is part of the risk of ebay and buying old equipment. People will put things on for sale which look good but have a defect. I've lost a few and I've won a few. I bought a Sigma 28 which looked new, but was so badly de-centered it was not usable. Then I had a guy ask if I wanted a horrible looking lens in K mount with a bent filter ring and he threw it in for free. I got one of my favorite lenses, a K 55 1.8 which looks terrible, but has perfect glass.
11-27-2017, 05:26 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I thought it was common sense to stop using a lens that requires 6x the force to mount onto the camera. The thread is for causes and possible solutions, not to tell me to call it all a loss "because it doesn't cost much".
You already got the most probable cause, the mount is bent. Carefully examine where it is rubbing and you should find the issue. I sorta agree with the other poster about tossing it out, an M 50 f/1.7 should be what $25-$30? Not worth damaging your camera. But in your case you bought it on ebay so tell the seller it is defective and you want a return.

If you don't like those options then get out a file as @photoptimist says.

Or just keep using it and scratch up your camera mount. Leaving this thread now.............
11-27-2017, 05:29 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

It should mount easy and smooth unless the lens mount was poorly machined or has been damaged. As noted above, are there any signs of unusual wear, scratches, or damage to the mount tangs or mount face? Is the aperture actuator properly aligned and fully operable with a flick of the finger with no roughness or hesitation? (A bent/misaligned actuator is a dangerous thing.)

You are right to be exercising full caution with the lens on your camera. A defective Russian fisheye permanently damaged the aperture actuator of one of my film bodies. You may want to be talking to the seller.

Steve
11-27-2017, 05:34 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It should mount easy and smooth unless the lens mount was poorly machined or has been damaged. As noted above, are there any signs of unusual wear, scratches, or damage to the mount tangs or mount face?
That's the thing. When compared to my other M lens it looks no different at all. It's incredibly strange.

QuoteQuote:
Is the aperture actuator properly aligned and fully operable with a flick of the finger with no roughness or hesitation? (A bent/misaligned actuator is a dangerous thing.)
Yeah it works incredibly smoothly. The lens seems to snag immediately on the body when putting it on, like it never lines up, but no matter how I look at it I can't seem to tell where the problem is.