Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2017, 03:00 AM   #1

Legacy 28 mm prime or current zoom

Hello everyone!

New member to the forum but reader for at least 10 years. I recently got back into landscape and nature photography. 'Thanks to' cell phones I had a 5 year gap without taking a proper Dslr photo. I am still using my good old K-x and don't plan to upgrade any time soon. From lenses at the moment I have Pentax-M 50mm F1.4, super heavy Kiron 80-200 (which I don't use any more) and Pentax-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR.

So far I am really loving the 50mm prime (small and light setup for hiking and traveling) but for some shots I tend to take them vertical or start making a panorama. I could use my kit lens but I really don't like it. Probably its for no real reason but I don't like the colors or sharpness so I am thinking of selling it. From the photos I've taken with it I see that I am mostly using it around 25mm that's why I am thinking about getting one of the legacy 28mm primes or Tamron 17-50 mm. As I am really used to manual focus I don't worry much about focusing problems mentioned in reviews.

For the budget I am thinking around 250 euros so that should be enough for the Tamron or a one of the good primes. Testing those lenses beforehand is kind of hard because I live in a country where Pentax market is pretty much nonexistent so my understanding is based on this forum or evilbay listings.
What would be your suggestions? More I read and search about this topic, more the mess I am having in my head. Should I go for old prime, Tamron or other Pentax lens? Most of my shots will be of forests, water bodies and some mountain scenes.

11-29-2017, 03:31 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Get a Sigma Super-Wide II 24mm F2.8 It is a sharp legacy lens available in either AF or MF with automatic aperture. Better than most 28mm legacy lenses. I wouldn't sell the kit lens. You won't get much for it and it as always nice to have a weather sealed lens if necessary. The Tamron is a good alternative for the Kit lens. As you live in Latvia it should also be quite easy the get your hands on a Mir 1b 37mm F2.8 Easily adapted to K-mount with the m42 adapter. Not as wide but an excellent lens.
11-29-2017, 04:36 AM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am quite satisfied with the Kino Precision Japan Kiron 28mm F2 MC P/KA prime 55 F which I purchased recently from a member in the market place

it can be found in a P/K mount or more rarely the P/KA

it is strictly a mf lens

Kiron 28mm F2 MC Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

i would check the market place if you are interested, I saw one there recently if memory serves me correctly

some photos taken by myself or others can be found in this thread:

prime, prime, everywhere a prime... - PentaxForums.com

prime, prime, everywhere a prime... - PentaxForums.com

prime, prime, everywhere a prime... - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com
11-29-2017, 04:42 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies! So Tamron or similar zoom at that price range would be just an upgrade to my kit lens and it wouldn't beat a good prime in IQ or in sharpness, right?

11-29-2017, 04:52 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

F28/2.8 anyone? Or is it above budget?
11-29-2017, 05:32 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like the 24mm view, but I have mixed feelings about the Sigma, I’ve had 3 copies and two were bad copies. I still have two Vivitar 28 2.8, a Yashica 28 2.8 (m42), a Pentax K 28 2.8 ( I think that’s all of them) which are all great lenses.

If you can swing it, as Sandy mentioned, the F28 2.8 would be the best of both worlds. Great optics, relatively lightweight, and autofocus.
11-29-2017, 05:37 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The "K series" 28/3.5 is an excellent lens for landscape and nature photography. It's a slower lens so the VF image isn't bright, but I've never had a problem with that. It's larger than many of the older 28mm primes (smaller than the K series 28/2, though) but even so it's fairly compact. Well within your budget.

Even cheaper is the M28/2.8, older version. Doesn't get a lot of love in the lens review section here, but I've used mine quite a bit and found it just fine, whether stopped down or wide open. It's a very small lens, verging on pancake, and can be bought very cheaply.

I also really like the A24/2.8.

11-29-2017, 05:38 AM   #8
Pentaxian

250€ could get you a used 21mm ltd. I've seen great landscapes from that lens.
11-29-2017, 06:37 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
F28/2.8 anyone? Or is it above budget?
QuoteOriginally posted by sergeremy Quote
250€ could get you a used 21mm ltd. I've seen great landscapes from that lens.
I was about to say. I have M 28mm f2.8, which is nice, but the newer 28mm (A, F) are supposedly even better. If I were buying a 28mm today, I would get the F 28mm.
I have M 28mm, but rarely use it because of DA 35mm and DA 21mm. Between those two, the M 28mm just doesn't find much space. DA 21mm is really stunning, very wide, but not awkwardly wide. So ultimately I would recommend it over legacy 28mm. Unless you already have that FoV covered well.
11-29-2017, 06:48 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thank you all for the suggestions! I got a really cheap Sigma super-wide 28 on the way (Mark I not II) so I will see if the 28 mm fits me well. I will just save up now for something better and time will tell if I need 21 or 28mm lens. And by looking at listings I will need luck and patience to get F28 2.8 or DA21 3.2 ltd anyway. But 250€ seems wont be enough for any of them.

I start to feel a special place in my heart for primes though I've used only one so far. Looking at the reviews K28mm F3.5 seems the best option from legacy with MF but impossible to get. So fingers crossed.
11-29-2017, 07:03 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
SMC Pentax 28mm ƒ3.5 - IMHO excellent lens
P-KA Sigma Mini-Wide II 28mm ƒ2.8 Macro - also very, very good lens with A-contacts that allows full metering modes and aperture control and it is very affordable.
SMC Pentax-A 28mm ƒ2 - Excellent!!! (expensive), also with A-contacts as above
SMC Pentax 28mm ƒ2 - the crown jewel but expensive and rare

The next recommendation is very close to desired focal length but very worthy contender...
SMC Pentax 30mm ƒ2.8

You can check the reviews for those lenses here

EDIT: I see that the OP got the lens already and posted while I was typing (got interrupted with phone call, while typing)
11-29-2017, 08:50 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As a generality the kit lens does pretty well in the middle of its zoom range. If you check out my reviews for some MF 28mm (Hoya, sigma ...) there are comparisons with examples of the DAL 18-55mm. The DAL typically has brighter colours and contrast, only the better/best 28mm primes really edge it on resolution.
I would nudge you towards one of the K or M 28mm f3.5's - both very good, in fact I struggled to really place the vaunted K particularly ahead of the M! The f2.8's are also good, but IMO f2.8 was essentially just marketing, no real photographic advantage and definitely inferior wide open vs wide open.

I have found the sigma miniwide/superwide II's to be markedly superior to the I's (thats why the I's are much cheaper!), and the II's are typically in PKA mount rather than PKM.

Last edited by marcusBMG; 11-29-2017 at 08:56 AM.
11-29-2017, 08:56 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wolmar Quote
I start to feel a special place in my heart for primes though I've used only one so far. Looking at the reviews K28mm F3.5 seems the best option from legacy with MF but impossible to get. So fingers crossed.
Oh yeah, I know how that feels. I use nothing but primes now. One factor with buying old glass is that you can only buy what is available. Usually you don't have every possible lens just waiting for a buyer.. so look at what is available, find a good deal, go with that.
The other problem is shipping. With many older lenses, once you add shipping, it will cost almost as much as a modern lens. So try to find lenses at local stores, flea markets, used camera shops. They are still out there, but you have to search a little
Good luck!
11-29-2017, 09:34 AM   #14
Pentaxian

You should get the Tamron 17-50 or the Sigma 17-50. In my experience cheap 28mm legacy glass just isn't very good, and the versatility of the wide/standard zooms are worth the investment for the type of results they get.

Here are some examples from my copy of the Tamron:

11-29-2017, 09:44 AM   #15
Forum Member

I have the second version of the M 28mm 2.8 with no silver ring which is supposed to have the superior optics of the 'A' lens.

At 2.8 there is a loss of contrast and purple fringing in highlights which are dealt with by stopping down 1 click to f/4. The focus throw is really short, about 110 degrees so focusing isn't very easy. The 18-55 kit lens costs about the same and also has AF and can do f/4 at 28mm so it makes more sense to use that