Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2017, 10:39 AM   #1

Will the Vivitar 75-205mm Macro Lens fit my K-50?

Hey so I have a Pentax K-50 and I've been looking for a macro lens for it and was planning on saving up for a pentax brand one. However, I was at a thrift store yesterday and found a Vivitar 75-205mm 1:3.8 Macro Zoom Lens and I'm curious if that will fit my K-50 safely? I'm planning on taking the lens to a photo store and having them look it over to make sure the quality is okay, but before that I'd love to know if it'll even work with my camera.

11-30-2017, 11:49 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kdermott Quote
I'm planning on taking the lens to a photo store and having them look it over to make sure the quality is okay
You should be able to inspect it yourself to quickly determine if it is ok. Look for clean glass (look through it at a light source from both ends), smooth zoom, focus and aperture operation. Cosmetic damage to the barrel should not be an issue as far as operation. If it's in a PK mount there should be no issues with fitting, unless the mount is damaged. Vivitar is a respected brand. I have a 75-205 Close-Focusing (CF) zoom in m42 that I purchased new ~40-years ago. It's a tad beat up and has some fungus from 30 of those years on the humid east coast, but this isn't evident in photos. It's fairly sharp in 70-150mm, but softens up much over that (also there's more shake to contend with, and it lacks a tripod ring). In CF mode it is super sharp. I stopped using it because it is built like a tank and weights almost as much. Also I don't do much telephoto work any more.

OK now I see the two-ring version (which I have) may have a fitting issue on DSLR. If that's the model you probably don't want it.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/vivitar-75-205mm-f3-8-macro-focusing.html

Last edited by dsmithhfx; 11-30-2017 at 11:59 AM. Reason: overlooked fitting issue
11-30-2017, 11:55 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Even if the lens is PK there might be an issue with the long "Vivitar Aperture Shield".

There have been many threads about it over the years...

Vivitar p/k lens not mounting on K-5 - PentaxForums.com
11-30-2017, 12:04 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kdermott Quote
Vivitar 75-205mm 1:3.8 Macro Zoom Lens
A couple of points:
1) Vivitar made lenses for many different mounts so you need to make sure the particular one you are looking at is for Pentax.
2) The "Macro Zooms" of that era are not real macro lenses by any means. Putting 'macro' on the lens was mostly marketing. They do usually have a 'close focusing' mode that is useful, but it is not macro.
3) As already noted some Vivitar lenses have an oversize aperture guard that will not work with Pentax digital cameras. This can usually be removed or modified so it will work however.
4) This lens has no 'A' position on the aperture ring so it will be all manual and you need to use stop down metering.

Here is the listing for what appears to be the lens you are looking at: Vivitar 75-205mm F3.8 Macro Focusing Lens Reviews - Vivitar Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

11-30-2017, 02:26 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have one in the Pentax mount and it is a nice lens. I used it on my K20D which I don't use anymore, and I don't remember trying on my former K30, but as long as it is a Pentax mount it will work.