Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2017, 02:02 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Samyang 18-28 and the Ricoh pin?

According to the lens vault this lens has a Ricoh pin. Having never had to deal with one of these I don't know what I'm looking for or if this one would even be a problem.

https://i.imgur.com/qBi8Cla.jpg

12-01-2017, 02:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can you turn the lens mount-side down and take a photo slightly from the side? That might show a pin sticking out more clearly than a flat shot from the top. I think the pin would be one or two cm from the contacts

I guess its possible the pin was already removed by a previous user or that this lens was made in multiple mounts. You can google the ricoh pin, I think there are some photos of it
12-01-2017, 02:21 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Can you turn the lens mount-side down and take a photo slightly from the side? That might show a pin sticking out more clearly than a flat shot from the top. I think the pin would be one or two cm from the contacts

I guess its possible the pin was already removed by a previous user or that this lens was made in multiple mounts. You can google the ricoh pin, I think there are some photos of it
yeah sure np

If this isn't what you meant lemme know.
12-01-2017, 03:04 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
According to the lens vault this lens has a Ricoh pin. Having never had to deal with one of these I don't know what I'm looking for or if this one would even be a problem.

https://i.imgur.com/qBi8Cla.jpg
The biggest of the two contacts (10:00 position) is the Ricoh pin. (The small contact below is the regular PKA contact).

12-01-2017, 03:54 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Can doing this throw off infinity? because I removed the ricoh pin and I put it on my camera for the first time to notice that it focuses way past infinity and just in general does not line up with what it says.

Just need to know if it's something I need to contact KEH about.

Last edited by ZombieArmy; 12-01-2017 at 04:00 PM.
12-01-2017, 04:26 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I must admit in my ignorance not seeing what the problem is with focusing past infinity. At the very least, an even more critical issue would be not being able to get there in the first place.

As for the Ricoh Pin - they are safest on actual Rikenon-P lenses, and on a few third-party products (lenses & teleconverters) where only the rounded top of the pin protrudes above the lens mount face. I've got a few of those, and I trust them on my K-1.

The worst of all are those that have a flat cylindrical shape the whole way to the top - they are the ones that can be relied on to get stuck in your screw-drive well because they have no easy way of sliding out on a sloped top edge.

This one is showing a bit of cylinder above the mount face, and I would be wary of trusting one of those unless I was, or had immediate access to, someone who was very good at getting them off.
12-01-2017, 04:34 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I must admit in my ignorance not seeing what the problem is with focusing past infinity. At the very least, an even more critical issue would be not being able to get there in the first place.
Well one it makes it very annoying for someone who likes to focus by distance (which I do a lot), and two my minimum focusing distance is not right either. I can't even hit the minimum focusing distance of the lens.

12-01-2017, 04:53 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I judge distance terribly; I go by eye, and a long MFD would be less of a handicap for me. Sounds like the helicoid is misaligned, then; call KEH.
12-01-2017, 05:05 PM   #9

If the pin is spring loaded with a rounded face it should not be a problem.
12-01-2017, 10:09 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I am familiar with three variants of the Ricoh pin...
  1. The original pin was flat headed and like all variants, spring-loaded. The pin pops into the AF drive well on Pentax AF bodies making lens removal very, very difficult. We can thank the design engineers at Pentax for this problem.
  2. The second generation of Rikenon-P lenses have the pin-like version replaced with a round-headed "bump" that will usually not foul the AF well. It is this version that is generally considered safe.*
  3. Some third-party lenses have a pin, that while round-headed, still protrudes from the mount face a fair amount
Yours is the third type and I would exercise caution. Visualize the pin interacting with the drive well and drive pawl on your camera and consider what might be required should it get stuck.

Steve

* I own a Rikenon-P 50/1.7 lens with the "safer" version of the pin. I have used it on my Pentax dSLR for some test shots, but make it my practice to not push my luck. It lives on one of my film cameras. I have other lenses for the K-3.
12-02-2017, 09:48 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I have a Vivitar 28mm 2.8 (Cosina) lens with the Ricoh pin. it's rounded but causes no problems as long as I remember to put the camera body into 'MF' mode BEFORE I attempt to mount the lens. If I leave it in one of the autofocus modes, I can feel it hitting the autofocus drive as I attempt to twist the lens into place. It's just enough to remind me to switch the camera to 'MF'. That said, it's not a lens I use very often.
12-02-2017, 06:28 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I think its the thing at 10 oclock in the original photo. There were threads before about how to remove the ricoh pin without damaging the lens. It just takes a few tools, but it depends on the lens as some are more complex than others. Some people somehow clip off the ricoh pin, but that can reduce the lens resale value