Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2017, 07:48 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
k-50 temporary image failure after startup

Hello everyone. I have an annoying issue with my K-50 and am wondering if anyone has experienced the same thing, and if so, if there is a fix. When I turn on my K-50 it starts normally: the dust cleaner goes off, the LED screen goes on showing all my settings, and all seems right in the world. But when I go to shoot, I get either just blackness or grossly under-exposed images for the first two or three clicks. By the 4th shutter release all is well, and I can shoot without anymore issues....until I shut the camera off. I have to go through this little sequence every time I turn it in. It doesn't matter what lens is on the camera, and I just updated my firmware, to everything is up-to-date. While this isn't, for now, anything but mildly annoying, I wonder if there is something else going on. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

12-04-2017, 07:55 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Pentax K-30 & K-50 - PentaxForums.com

^ Go to this section of the forum & look at all the "aperture" & "dark exposure" threads.

The aperture motor in your K-50 is on its way out. There are many "fixes", but the only permanent fix is to replace the entire aperture motor asembly with a proven OEM one that was used by Pentax a few years ago. The "white" one, not the Chinese manufactured "green" one.

If you don't want to fix it, use completely manual aperture lenses and/or the only new KAF4 Pentax HD 55-300mm PLM lens with the latest K-50 firmware. More KAF4 lenses will eventually come, some day......
12-04-2017, 07:59 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the redirect. I had searched the forums before I posted, and didn't find anything. Clearly I didn't try all of the relevant key words.
12-04-2017, 08:15 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

^ No worries. One of my K-50 bodies started having that issue & I just went ahead & ordered a used OEM replacement from eBay. It's a little bit pricier at $39, but it's the one that was used by Pentax a few years ago. There are other ones floating around for about $10 to $30, but they look to be the exact same "green" failing part that probably the bean counters at Hoya decided to use on the K-30 & K-50 & kept using it on the K-S1 & K-S2.

I spent about 3 hours & a slightly burnt finger to fix my K-50 body, but I've already shot more than 5,000 trouble free shots since then.

12-04-2017, 08:23 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks, TSM. I have the Ebay link saved in case I need it. I also found this cool video online, that may be worth a try first (as scary as it may seem):
12-04-2017, 08:33 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

It looks harder than it actually is, but it's not reallt that hard.

The only thing is that everything is really small so trying to solder the wires onto the new part & back to the camera is the hardest part.

This thread helped me out.

^ That video gave me a general idea on how to make sure the screws went back to their proper holes. The fix presented there is a temporary fix, though. Since the camera is already open, might as well replace the part.
12-04-2017, 10:08 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SPLewis Quote
Hello everyone. I have an annoying issue with my K-50 and am wondering if anyone has experienced the same thing, and if so, if there is a fix. When I turn on my K-50 it starts normally: the dust cleaner goes off, the LED screen goes on showing all my settings, and all seems right in the world. But when I go to shoot, I get either just blackness or grossly under-exposed images for the first two or three clicks. By the 4th shutter release all is well, and I can shoot without anymore issues....until I shut the camera off. I have to go through this little sequence every time I turn it in. It doesn't matter what lens is on the camera, and I just updated my firmware, to everything is up-to-date. While this isn't, for now, anything but mildly annoying, I wonder if there is something else going on. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
The same problem hit my 3 year old K500. I found a temporary fix by switching to AA rechargeable batteries but the issue soon returned.
I now only use screw mount lenses on the K500, no problem there, and managed to find a near mint condition K5 body for my other lenses.
Shame on Pentax for allowing this problem to exist across so many models, making even the current ones suspect
The K5 seems a great replacement and does not have the same faulty component.
12-04-2017, 10:15 AM   #8

Dark exposure problems on K-30 or K-50? Read me first! - PentaxForums.com