Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2017, 04:06 PM - 1 Like   #1
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Caps vs UV filters

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
. . . I've heard some people say they use one as some sort of substitute for a lens cap ... a layer of physical protection. Ok, if so, take it off while actually shooting. I still think a lens cap does this more robustly and is easier to remove, too.
that is the dilemma

does the use of a UA or clear glass filter add protection from dust, scratches and/or impact damage or

is it just another layer of glass for light to have to go through with possible problems as a result ?

all I know is that I failed to follow my dad's advise to use a filter all the time and somehow had the threads used to add filters ( such as a polarizer ) break on my DA 16 - 85

I found an experienced photographer/sales man at my local brick and mortar store who used a tool to push the squashed and broken threads into line so a clear glass filter could be placed on the lens

and now I can use my polarizer should I wish to.

12-19-2017, 04:16 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kombivan Quote
This new camera may be testing me but I'll get there I make my own computers and I run a website so I have a bit of an idea I just can't get my head around how slack pentax have become these new cameras are like seeing eye dogs for the blind if you turn all the bells and whistles on but it is keeping the professional stuff in the realm of professionals sorta tricking people that they can be a photographer when if they don't get it they never will.
Kombivan, there are some people who just go around with their camera in P mode, shooting JPG only, sort of taking phone snapshots but with a DSLR.

And there are others who have everything in manual, swap lenses a lot and spend as much time on a computer postprocessing the RAW as they did shooting.

Your Pentax can do both styles. It's that flexibility that you paid for.
12-19-2017, 04:21 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
that is the dilemma

does the use of a UA or clear glass filter add protection from dust, scratches and/or impact damage or

is it just another layer of glass for light to have to go through with possible problems as a result ?

all I know is that I failed to follow my dad's advise to use a filter all the time and somehow had the threads used to add filters ( such as a polarizer ) break on my DA 16 - 85.
What happened, Aslyfox?

Wouldn't a solid plastic lens cap and hood have been *much* better protection than a thin bit of glass?

They clip in, so can't jam your threads the way a screw in filter might, either.
12-19-2017, 04:31 PM - 1 Like   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I never used polarizer filters never seem to do what they do in the advertising pictures.
Polarizers are great, Kombivan, and here in Australia with our strong sunlight a lot of photography benefits from their use, they're not just for landscapers.

If you shoot water a lot, like the one with your pelicans, you should use them.

On a scorching afternoon, light being thrown everywhere, the colours are still good here:

Last edited by clackers; 12-19-2017 at 04:49 PM.
12-19-2017, 04:35 PM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
What happened, Aslyfox?

Wouldn't a solid plastic lens cap and hood have been *much* better protection than a thin bit of glass?

They clip in, so can't jam your threads the way a screw in filter might, either.
I carry my camera ready to shoot once I arrive at the area where I will be taking photos, so I don't have a lens cap on all the time

the damage was to the physical threads on the front of the lens itself check out the thread linked below if interested

I don't know when it happened so I don't know if I had the lens hood extended or not when it happened, I found the break after I got home

there is a thread showing the damage and what happened if interested. ( with photos of damage )

oops, my lens has a boo boo - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

as a result of the damage I could not attach another filter to the lens, it would fall off until I had the " repair " done.

I now use " Tiffen digital ultra clear filters " as protection for the threads and front glass of all of my lenses

in the film days I used a skylight or uv filter but as I understand it, with digital cameras a skylight or uv filter is not needed for corrective purposes

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-19-2017 at 04:42 PM.
12-19-2017, 04:36 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

What I want to ask is I have a radio controlled hot shoe and looks like it might run a auto flash as its only got one pin in it, I would be correct in assuming this wouldn't I? It's from china as well.
Should work across all brands, but in manual mode only on attached flashes, not TTL.
12-19-2017, 04:39 PM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes Clackers but I don't understand what a raw file is>

I think Clackers the idea is a plain glass filter with a filter thread so he can still use his other filters.

---------- Post added 12-19-17 at 04:28 PM ----------

I think i will just get used to the camera first then learn about raw files later.
Raw vs JPEG: The pros and cons of Raw files or Jpeg files - What Digital Camera

Raw Versus JPG ? Why You Might Want to Shoot in RAW Format

12-19-2017, 04:40 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I now use a " clear filter " as protection for the threads of all of my lenses
Can be really bad, IMHO, Aslyfox.

It has no optical coatings, I assume, and yet you don't take it off when you shoot.

If you shoot in situations where you can get away with it, fine, but I've seen low contrast in some of your otherwise great zoo shots, and it you had a filter on front for those, there's your possible villain.

With a lens cap, you get to the panda enclosure, take it off before you lift to the eye for your sequence of shots, put it back on, walk through the crowds to the hippo pit or whatever. It's just part of the routine. Mine goes only in a pocket for rapid deployment, not stuffed in a pack or left forgotten on the ground.

Last edited by clackers; 12-19-2017 at 04:46 PM.
12-19-2017, 04:47 PM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Can be really bad, IMHO, Aslyfox.

It has no optical coatings, I assume, and yet you don't take it off when you shoot.

If you shoot in situations where you can get away with it, fine, but I've seen low contrast in some of your otherwise great zoo shots, and it you had a filter on front for those, there's your possible villain.

With a lens cap, you get to the panda enclosure, take it off before you lift to the eye for your sequence of shots, put it back on, walk through the crowds to the hippo pit or whatever. It's just part of the routine. Mine goes only in a pocket for rapid deployment, not stuffed in a pack or left forgotten on the ground.
I only take it off if I put another type of filter on

as far as the low contrast - might be my attempts at pp or the effect of trying to photograph through the windows of the enclosure or it could be you are right

all I know for sure is that I'm a newbie and trying to learn and there are pros/cons on both sides of this issue

as there usually is on most issues
12-19-2017, 04:55 PM - 1 Like   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I only take it off if I put another type of filter on

as far as the low contrast - might be my attempts at pp or the effect of trying to photograph through the windows of the enclosure or it could be you are right
Well, since you raised the example, to you, a picture taker, the window is an unwanted piece of glass sitting between the subject and your $1500 multicoated lens and $1000 camera's sensor, affecting the image quality.

Isn't that what a screw-in is?

I own *many* ND and polarizing filters, teleconverters and a magnifying diopter, but I use them all judiciously. The 1.4 HD TC is a superb one that cost me hundreds of dollars but I'll still try to get the shot without it. In a zoo, great, out in the wild, I have no choice, the distances are greater and I need to man up and take the hit quality wise.

BTW, if you are shooting through glass, push the hood right up to it, and if possible hang your sweater around it, to minimize the glare.

Last edited by clackers; 12-19-2017 at 05:24 PM.
12-19-2017, 05:12 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Its an auto flash I have not ttl its the flash I used in that selfie of myself 21 years ago I reckon it would work good unless the off camera hotshoe is controlled for the length of the exposure?

It's onlt got one pin where it connects to the hot shoe so I think it would be a safe bet its for an auto flash.

Auto flashes were before TTL.
Yeah, I've got a pair of Pentax 360s, they do auto as well as TTL, so I've used them on top of my Sony A7, too (not off-camera, of course, auto can't cope with that or being inside a diffuser).

A generic radio trigger won't be smart enough to allow for varying the length of exposure, it will just fire blindly when the camera signal reaches the hotshoe pin.
12-19-2017, 05:15 PM - 1 Like   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

But they would slow down your lens a bit.
Sometimes, it's as much as two stops!

The things we do to get nice colours and more details, right?

Last edited by clackers; 12-19-2017 at 05:21 PM.
12-19-2017, 05:26 PM - 1 Like   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
.. . Well, since you raised the example, to you, a picture taker, the window is an unwanted piece of glass sitting between the subject and you
not exactly unwanted when the strong glass is between me and a dangerous animal

but yes, it does affect the photo I agree

. . . BTW, if you are shooting through glass, push the hood right up to it, and if possible hang your sweater around it, to minimize the glare.
I've been working on that trick

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-19-2017 at 05:42 PM.
12-19-2017, 05:39 PM - 1 Like   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Nothing wrong with filters
(Laughs)

I think you've undermined your own argument here, KV!

The vivid cartoon drama I like about your pic relies not just on the purple tint, but that the details have been obliterated by that filter - that's not what you want in your other shots! And what are those distracting white artifacts above the hills? My guess is they're reflections from the filter itself of the highlights in the water below, and wouldn't have been there if you took the shot normally!

I tamed highlights in the shot of Yana below with a polarizing filter, but it still did damage, making everything slightly pastel when in fact, just like the cricket shot, there was glare everywhere and I should have been wearing sunglasses. These sorts of tones probably suit a contemplative pose like this, but not if she was doing some athletic action, more contrast would be required. Bit like your selfie, I'm using flash here as well.

Last edited by clackers; 12-19-2017 at 07:54 PM.
12-19-2017, 05:40 PM - 1 Like   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I've been working on that trick
The more I learn my photography (I haven't been shooting much longer than you, I don't think, Aslyfox), the more I think it's a big collection of tricks.