Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2017, 04:19 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Focus calibration

Originally posted by Ascencio:
Thanks

playing more with the lens and not going to infinity or closest focus distance during calibration i was able to adjust it with the usb dock to work on my K-1.

my new question is i was hoping to be able to use it on my k-3 as a 50mm lens and focus is off.

can the focus sensors on my k-1 and k-3 be calibrated to be in sync so i dont have issues with this lens and future lenses. If so is the only place precision camera?

i had a zeiss 25 and 35 that im kind of regretting selling. should have stuck with manual focus.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam:
QuoteOriginally posted by Ascencio:
Adam,

I just bought a Sigma 35mm 1.4 and wanted some advice before sending it back. It's focus is off i got it with the usb dock and tried to adjust it but still doest work very well. The first two distances i adjusted and seemed to work with the chart but once i got to the third distance it started to focus inconsistent front and back etc. What is confusing is it focus accurately in live view but not with the view finder. Does the same on my k-1 and k-3. I have a pentax 55 1.4. Any chance its the camera?

Erick
Hi Erick,

Focus adjustments only apply to viewfinder shooting, rather than live view. Live view will always be accurate because it uses trial and error rather than calculations to determine focus. Thus, the behavior you're describing seems perfectly normal. If the dock doesn't fully remedy the viewfinder focusing issues, I would just exchange the lens if possible.

12-08-2017, 04:21 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ascencio Quote
can the focus sensors on my k-1 and k-3 be calibrated to be in sync so i dont have issues with this lens and future lenses. If so is the only place precision camera?
It is normal for different bodies to require different adjustments, so this is not a service that's typically performed. You can send a lens in along with the camera if there's a problematic combo, though.

With Pentax-branded lenses this isn't an issue since you can save a specific focus adjustment preset for each lens.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-08-2017, 08:52 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have this lens and a K3II and K1. I originally got it when I only had the K3II, and used the dock to assist with the calibration. When I got the K1, things seemed screwy. I used the dock to reset the lens to 0 adjustment at all intervals, and then used the in camera fine focus adjustment, and it seems to be working well. I'd give a shot at resetting the lens to 0 and see what you can do in the bodies.