Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-08-2017, 08:48 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Pentax K-70 - What are the recommended settings I should make out of the box, if any?

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and new to Pentax cameras. I spent about 100 hours on researching cameras and reading reviews. I finally decided on the Pentax K-70 which I purchased today [Dec 8, 2017] from adorama.com for $599 (body only). It should be here in a few days.

What are the recommended settings I should make out of the box, if any?

i.e.
* Sharpness
* Color
* JPEG
* RAW
* Custom Menus
* Dial Settings
* Etc...

I plan to use the following settings found within the K-70 in-depth review as a baseline.
Pentax K-70 Review - Recommended Settings | PentaxForums.com Reviews

I know many settings will be according to preference, but I would like to know what the group uses on their K-70 cameras.

Thanks in advance for any input you can provide.

--Joshua

12-09-2017, 12:02 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Joshua,
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new K-70.

The power of the DSLR, like the K-70, are all the options which should be set based on your subject matter and if you prioritize control or convenience.
RAW vs. jpeg: If you are adept at post process editing, such as with Adobe Lightroom, shooting RAW will give you the best results and most control. However, if you don't want to spend any time on the computer editing, then jpegs will look better straight out of the camera, but you'll see in the menu many options for different color rendering.

To me, if you're in a class or learning photography, the M or manual exposure control mode is the best way to grasp the relationship between ISO, shutter speed, and aperture.
If you're shooting sports or movement, TV or Time Value makes the most sense as you'll want to prioritize your choice of shutter speed to blur or freeze the subject and/or background, while the camera sets the aperture to give you a normal exposure.
If there's relatively little movement, but you want to have control of the depth-of-field, the AV or aperture value makes the most sense.

Every function has a function and for any of us to tell you how you should set everything will stunt your potential and that of the K-70. I am half serious when I tell my photography students that if they read the owner's manual, I'd be out of a job. The owner's manual is very dry and boring, but it explains a ton of what each setting or function does, and then through experience, you will learn how each setting indirectly affects other settings.

Be patient, teach yourself one page at a time. You can also take some shots, post them on the forum, and ask for technical feedback.
12-09-2017, 01:15 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Joshua, welcome. What lenses do you plan to use on it?
12-09-2017, 06:00 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The only thing for sure I recommend is to set it up to use manual lenses, that way when you get one it will be already there.

How to use/meter Manual & M42 Lenses on all Pentax DSLRs (K-1, K-3, K-5, K-30, etc) - PentaxForums.com

Also, get an M50 or Takumar 50 (or whatever you want) and enjoy.

12-09-2017, 10:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Set up back-button focusing using the AF/AE-L button. The button is perfectly placed for thumb operation and once you get used to it it's a joy to use.
12-09-2017, 10:55 AM   #6

Welcome to the wonderful world of Pentax. Should you use manual focus lenses remember to enable it in the menu. Note Rokinon makes some very affordable manual focus lenses I have the 14MM and the 85. Lightroom is easy yo use so do not be afraid of shooting raw. In Raw you have a choice of PEF or DNG I chose the DNG raw format.
12-09-2017, 03:06 PM   #7
Pentaxian

You write that you are new to Pentax cameras, but it might be helpful to other members to know how familiar and experienced you are in general, regarding the basics of photography and using a camera.

However, probably good advice would be to forget the question and ignore the suggestions (except this one!) as, almost inevitably, the replies will be personal preferences, and/or conflicting, and/or confusing.

In your experimentation with the K-70, if you come across something about the camera that you don't understand, or something you want to do but don't know how, try referring to the user manual first and then, if necessary, post a specific question for help on the forum.

Philip

12-09-2017, 08:42 PM - 1 Like   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
Hi Joshua, welcome. What lenses do you plan to use on it?
I purchased the Sigma 18-300mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro HSM Lens for Pentax from adorama.com for $399.

---------- Post added 12-09-17 at 09:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
Set up back-button focusing using the AF/AE-L button. The button is perfectly placed for thumb operation and once you get used to it it's a joy to use.
Thank you very much for the recommendation. I'll give this a try.

--Joshua

---------- Post added 12-09-17 at 10:12 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
You write that you are new to Pentax cameras, but it might be helpful to other members to know how familiar and experienced you are in general, regarding the basics of photography and using a camera.

However, probably good advice would be to forget the question and ignore the suggestions (except this one!) as, almost inevitably, the replies will be personal preferences, and/or conflicting, and/or confusing.

In your experimentation with the K-70, if you come across something about the camera that you don't understand, or something you want to do but don't know how, try referring to the user manual first and then, if necessary, post a specific question for help on the forum.

Philip
Background and experience:
I'm a hobby photographer with 20 years of experience. I photograph a wide variety of subjects. My primary subject matter includes landscapes, nature, and wildlife.

I started having a real interest in photography when I was 18. My dad gave me a used Minolta 35mm Film camera produced in 1977 (I think it was an SR-T series). Since then, I've owned two Canon Rebel SLR 35mm Film Cameras and two Canon Rebel DSLR Cameras (a Rebel XS and a Rebel T3).

I recently decided that I wanted more in a camera and a water resistant camera body. Canon is going out of my camera bag and Pentax goes in.

Being that I've never owned a Pentax, I'm interested in what other Pentax K-70 owners have there cameras setting at.

I shoot exclusively in RAW format, prefer minimal post processing, and manage my photos with DigiKam on Xubuntu Linux 14.04.

Thanks for all your help everyone.

--Joshua

---------- Post added 12-09-17 at 10:22 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Joshua,
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new K-70.

The power of the DSLR, like the K-70, are all the options which should be set based on your subject matter and if you prioritize control or convenience.
RAW vs. jpeg: If you are adept at post process editing, such as with Adobe Lightroom, shooting RAW will give you the best results and most control. However, if you don't want to spend any time on the computer editing, then jpegs will look better straight out of the camera, but you'll see in the menu many options for different color rendering.

To me, if you're in a class or learning photography, the M or manual exposure control mode is the best way to grasp the relationship between ISO, shutter speed, and aperture.
If you're shooting sports or movement, TV or Time Value makes the most sense as you'll want to prioritize your choice of shutter speed to blur or freeze the subject and/or background, while the camera sets the aperture to give you a normal exposure.
If there's relatively little movement, but you want to have control of the depth-of-field, the AV or aperture value makes the most sense.

Every function has a function and for any of us to tell you how you should set everything will stunt your potential and that of the K-70. I am half serious when I tell my photography students that if they read the owner's manual, I'd be out of a job. The owner's manual is very dry and boring, but it explains a ton of what each setting or function does, and then through experience, you will learn how each setting indirectly affects other settings.

Be patient, teach yourself one page at a time. You can also take some shots, post them on the forum, and ask for technical feedback.
Thank you. I've also purchased the K-70 ebook: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/donations/?ebooks=1&loginrequired=1#sub18

--Joshua
12-09-2017, 11:58 PM   #9
PDL
Pentaxian

My 40 cents.
1. Set up back button focus (mentioned above - think of it as a powered manual focus)
2. Turn OFF the d*mn beep.
3. Turn OFF instant preview. Chimp when you need too, not every shot.
4. Turn ON histogram and "blinkies" (under/over exposure warnings)
5. Turn ON remember meter mode/ISO/use non-A lens settings so things don't drop to "defaults" when you power off to change lenses/batteries/SD Cards. (ISO not being remembered almost screwed my last gig, my camera was being funky and I reset it. ISO defaulted back to 100 and I needed it to be 3200)
5. Buy a second er no third battery and keep it with you and in your bag. Change batteries to fresh ones before you leave for a shoot and be sure your backup is fully charged. Buy more SD Cards too, you really can't have enough.
6. Leave the JPEG settings set to 0 so you will get a better feel for the histogram/blinkies.
7. Shoot RAW, if you shot color or Black and White in a dark room, you know what "development" means. Shooting JPEGS is like shooting slide film - very intolerant of mistakes and one set of settings will not fit all situations.
OK - I am done for now, I hate trying to type on this stupid tablet. Enjoy your new addiction.

Last edited by PDL; 12-10-2017 at 12:07 AM. Reason: spelling - stupid autocorrect hates the word your
12-10-2017, 11:39 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
My 40 cents.
1. Set up back button focus (mentioned above - think of it as a powered manual focus)
2. Turn OFF the d*mn beep.
3. Turn OFF instant preview. Chimp when you need too, not every shot.
4. Turn ON histogram and "blinkies" (under/over exposure warnings)
5. Turn ON remember meter mode/ISO/use non-A lens settings so things don't drop to "defaults" when you power off to change lenses/batteries/SD Cards. (ISO not being remembered almost screwed my last gig, my camera was being funky and I reset it. ISO defaulted back to 100 and I needed it to be 3200)
5. Buy a second er no third battery and keep it with you and in your bag. Change batteries to fresh ones before you leave for a shoot and be sure your backup is fully charged. Buy more SD Cards too, you really can't have enough.
6. Leave the JPEG settings set to 0 so you will get a better feel for the histogram/blinkies.
7. Shoot RAW, if you shot color or Black and White in a dark room, you know what "development" means. Shooting JPEGS is like shooting slide film - very intolerant of mistakes and one set of settings will not fit all situations.
OK - I am done for now, I hate trying to type on this stupid tablet. Enjoy your new addiction.
Thank you for all your suggestions. I'm especially interested in the focus button you mentioned and if you use Pentax branded extra batteries or 3rd party / generic extra batteries.

--Joshua
12-10-2017, 01:08 PM   #11
PDL
Pentaxian

I am shooting a k-3II so how to set up back button focus will be different on your camera. Discussions abound on how to set it up on nearly all Pentax digital bodies. Here is a good place to start Back button focus, anyone? - PentaxForums.com and there are plenty of others to peruse. As I mention in the thread listed above I have used back button focusing since 2005 on my *ist Ds, K10D, K20D and now my K-3II. The idea of using back button focus was suggested during a National Geographic workshop in 2005 and in subsequent NG seminars each and every NG photographer has stated that back button focus (along with histogram and "blinkies" in image chimping) were the first thing done to cameras before walking out the door with a new body.

As for battery brands, I have third party batteries for the most part. I have three for my K10D and K20D (which sit on my shelf now). I have one Pentax, one Watson batteries (which came with my K-3II bundle) and I purchased two additional off brand Chinese batteries to take on my vacation to Europe and Great Britain. I always charged the batteries overnight (primary and secondary) and rotated them per day. Over 6K photos and all was well.

Photography is an addiction - one that you can enjoy.
12-10-2017, 01:34 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photographybyjds Quote
Thank you for all your suggestions. I'm especially interested in the focus button you mentioned and if you use Pentax branded extra batteries or 3rd party / generic extra batteries.
Focus button: The default to activate AF is assigned to your shutter release button. So if you're in AF mode, there will always be some delay between wanting to take the shot, the camera/lens then tweaking the focus, and then shot being taken. In your menu, you can set your AF/AE-L button (back top right) to be your AF button. Thus, you use your right thumb to AF, but when you hit the shutter release button, there is no delay....same as if you were manually focusing not having any delay.

Pentax vs. 3rd party batteries: I've used both. Most recently Watson. The third party batteries (in my experience) do not last as long in terms of per charge and overall life. I recently dropped a Watson battery, and now it won't take or hold a charge. I've never had that issue with an OEM battery.

With that said, you could buy 4 Watson batteries for the price of one Pentax. So as long as you buy more Watson spares, and don't mind the extra weight of those spares in your camera bag, it's a good alternative. Personally, I'd prefer to just have one spare Pentax than 2 spare Watsons, just because I'd rather spend more and have more reliability and less weight.
12-10-2017, 02:15 PM   #13
Pentaxian

#1 Rule in Pentax Club: #ShootRaw
12-10-2017, 07:16 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is a good idea to take notes on settings you change from the camera default settings. You probably won't remember them all later, and if you have to reset the settings for some reason, it's easier to refer to notes.
12-11-2017, 06:43 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is good that you are an experienced photographer. You will be able to better appreciate the uniqueness of Pentax. Welcome to this forum, and welcome to being a fellow Pentax owner! Your research was right on in that the K-70 is such an advanced camera for the price point. I too am an old film-shooter. I did not get into a DSLR until around 2007 when I was finally satisfied that adequate quality had arrived. But I still would often shoot film, and still do occasionally, though now the DSLR technology has surpassed what film can do in many ways, and is less expensive and easier for storage.

The weakest part of your chosen kit is the lens. Since you've correctly observed that weather resistance is one major feature usually not found at such a price point, and is a very valuable feature, be advised that the lens you've selected, the Sigma 18-300mm DC HSM does not have weather sealing. Your K-70 camera with such a lens on it it is not weather sealed. Any lens I know of that has the very wide zoom range of 18-300mm, though versatile, will also have some flaws such as edge sharpness, overall sharpness, distortion, vignetting, etc. especially at its FL extremes. You might re-think this lens choice. The most advanced zoom lens for edge-to-edge performance for landscape photography featuring WR is the Pentax DA 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6 DC WR. It is among the posted most highly-rated lenses for image quality, according to test labs and users reports. A good alternative, and yet more versatile would be the Pentax DA 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 DC WR which also has exceptional AF speed. It is amazingly compact and well-built. It can provide very good edge performance up to about 70mm, especially when stopped down a click or so. Wide open in that range is f/3.5-4.5 which gives good latitude. Its central sharpness is excellent throughout. I have this lens and like it very much. To further extend the range of this kit, a secondary Pentax lens of 55-300mm WR would give very fine results that will definitely be superior, and Pentax currently offers two. The latest one has a quiet DC motor with improved focus speed. But the older HD WR model, which simply uses the old screw drive for focus is also very fine for its optical performance. It is not internal focusing, so you get the full 300mm at all distances. I have that one and am very happy with it. According to lab tests, it is above the other brands in the same focal length zoom lenses, the Pentax having still very good readings all the way out to 300mm.

Adorama, I believe, is pretty good about making exchanges of recent purchases- just give them a call.

As to settings, I recommend having most at default and just shoot jpegs until you become acclimated to the features and handling of your new camera. However, I always recommend going to the custom image menu and set the sharpening to "F" for Fine sharpening, from my own experience and which has been verified in testing of the K-70 and other Pentax models. This will yield best detail in your images. I can walk you through this easily if needed.

As to the back focus button- on the K-70 it is dual-purpose with AE-L to keep camera size compact. On my pro-style K-5 IIs there are 2 separate buttons for dedicated function, but my K-S2 is designed very similarly to your K-70. The very advanced KP is also this way for compact design. I usually have mine set for AE-L function because I use this quite often, and it can be of service for the exclusive Pentax Hyper System. I am just fine with using the half-press of the shutter release button for AF in the type of shooting I do.

The PHS is the fastest, most efficient operational system in the SLR or DSLR world. When in Program mode (not green "auto") and you would rather select a different aperture or shutter speed than the camera has set, just use your finger or thumb dial and go ahead and select what you want! As long as lighting will allow. Simple as that. You don't have to set anything up- it is that way right out of the box. The feature simply shifts into aperture or shutter priority without your having to go to the mode dial first and then select your preference. Much faster. It will remain so changed until you either return to full Program operation with a touch of the green button, or shut the camera off. If you want to shoot in Av or Tv mode continually even when turning the camera on and off, then use the mode dial as usual.

Now for Hyper Manual. In the Manual mode, you can get instant meter-centered exposure set by simply touching the green button instead of twirling the aperture and shutter speed dials until the meter so indicates. Very fast and efficient. This also allows extremely fast spot-metering around a scene. If at any time you do not agree with the shutter speed or aperture that is set, just change it accordingly. If it is say the aperture, just hit the AE-L button first to freeze your exposure and then when using your thumb dial to select the aperture you wish, the shutter speed will follow along, preserving your exposure. Same procedure if you select a different shutter speed- the aperture will follow along. Very time-saving.

Enjoy, and please let us know how you are doing!

Last edited by mikesbike; 12-11-2017 at 06:53 AM.