Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-11-2017, 10:23 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K10D's autofocus has gone wonky

So I shot a few frames with my K10D today and noticed the autofocus was having difficulty focusing. A half-push on the shutter button makes the focus go all the way out, then the next half-push makes it go all the way in. Does it both in AF-S and AF-C. Manual focus works just fine. I tried three different lenses with the same result. The camera only has 5,700 shutter actuations. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

12-11-2017, 10:46 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Could be debris in the mirror box. That's the first thing I would check.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-12-2017, 02:30 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Is the viewfinder dark too? If that is the case it maybe a problem with the aperture mechanism in the camera.

I once had a problem with a spring for the lever in the camera that holds the aperture fully open on the lens.
The spring had jumped off the lever and it was easy to hook it back on. Without the spring the lens will always be fully stopped down (when aperture is controlled by camera), which makes it too dark for AF-sensor to lock focus. If you have a AF lens with aperture ring you can test if you notice any difference if you set the aperture manually with the aperture ring.

There is some more info on this problem in this thread.
1st Problem ever on my K10D from new - PentaxForums.com
12-12-2017, 08:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The viewfinder isn't dark. The lens appears to stop down normally. The photos I took yesterday focusing manually were properly exposed.

12-18-2017, 01:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I haven't figured out any real solutions to the focusing problem with this camera but I did notice something odd when I was messing with it a couple of days ago. The little red blip that comes up in the viewfinder to let you know what the camera is focusing on isn't anywhere near the center of the screen. It comes up way the heck over to the right. Weird...
12-18-2017, 01:40 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by E-man Quote
I haven't figured out any real solutions to the focusing problem with this camera but I did notice something odd when I was messing with it a couple of days ago. The little red blip that comes up in the viewfinder to let you know what the camera is focusing on isn't anywhere near the center of the screen. It comes up way the heck over to the right. Weird...
Sounds like your AF point is off. Is your rear 4 way pad ring set to center-point focus (square with a dot in it) ? If it's set to SEL, your focus point can be anywhere you select.
12-20-2017, 12:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Paul, you're freakin' brilliant!!! That solved the problem. It was indeed set to SEL. Now it's on center-point and everything's copacetic again. And to think, I was seriously considering writing that camera off as a loss and putting it up on eBay real cheap to get rid of it. Glad I held off. Thanks, you just made my day. If it weren't such a dreary, rainy day here, I 'd take the camera out and shoot some pictures to celebrate!

Last edited by E-man; 12-20-2017 at 12:07 PM.
12-20-2017, 02:17 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by E-man Quote
I was seriously considering writing that camera off as a loss and putting it up on eBay real cheap to get rid of it.
Be sure to let me know if you decide to do this! Glad things worked out.