Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2017, 08:13 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have it as a rebadged Promaster. I use it as my walk around lens.

12-12-2017, 08:39 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I went on a little 28-105 spree once...
... The focal range is good for something like a big family event. You can take people shots that don't look too weird within that range, without getting in anyone's face.
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
The 18-135 can probably do all the same shots, so when you get that lens, the 28-105 will sit in a drawer. That's the only reason not to buy it.
I agree with Dave on both counts.

I've found that it's easier to get really good candid shots of kids if you're far enough away to avoid drawing their attention. When you're too close with a camera they often act weird. They also want to see the picture after, and many little kids like to 'see' with their fingers.
12-13-2017, 03:46 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Depends on whether you very uniquely have no need for any wide angle. 28mm on APS-C equates to 43mm on a 35mm film body or FF DSLR, which is considered as "true normal" or "semi-wide normal". From what I understand by your statements, as it is you have no wide angle at all for your K-30. An all around zoom lens is by definition versatile. This is true for one of 28-105mm on a FF body, but it is too handicapped to be true for APS-C use. I have at least two of them for my film bodies, but never put them on my APS-C DSLR bodies.
12-13-2017, 06:12 PM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Depends on whether you very uniquely have no need for any wide angle. 28mm on APS-C equates to 43mm on a 35mm film body or FF DSLR, which is considered as "true normal" or "semi-wide normal". From what I understand by your statements, as it is you have no wide angle at all for your K-30. An all around zoom lens is by definition versatile. This is true for one of 28-105mm on a FF body, but it is too handicapped to be true for APS-C use. I have at least two of them for my film bodies, but never put them on my APS-C DSLR bodies.
Well, I have a Quantaray 28-90mm that is designed for APS-C sensors. It's fairly versatile, but lacking on the long end, so I'd like more reach. It's also fairly cheap... but for now I'm happy with it. It's what I mainly use now...other than my old school, manual focus primes.

I've decided to just keep saving for the Pentax DA 18-135 WR or 18-55 WR, depending on what I can find the best deal on. I also have a Pentax DA l 50-200mm that I like, so the 18-135 would be a little redundant, but the convenience of not needing to change lenses as often would be a plus...as well as it being WR.

12-15-2017, 12:29 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Take my word for it- there is no 28-90mm lens that is specifically made for APS-C use. It might have digital oriented coatings, but this would invariably be a full frame or 35mm film zoom range. There are all-telephoto zoom range lenses made for APS-C, like your DA 50-200mm, which is moderate-to-long tele, and others that go from wide angle to telephoto, but none that go from normal view to telephoto. On a 35mm film body or a full frame DSLR, 28-90mm is wide angle to mid telephoto.

The DA 18-55 WR lens is a decent kit lens as far as that goes. Its range is comparable to a lens of 28-80mm on a 35mm film body. However, it is not in the same class as the DA 18-135mm DC WR, which has more zoom range so you wouldn't have to change lenses as often. It is the equivalent range to having a 28-200mm lens on a 35mm film body, yet it is uniquely compact for such a wide zoom range. It also has a much better build quality than the small kit lens, and unlike the kit lens, also has fast, quiet, accurate autofocus. Having a DA 50-200mm also with it would be perfectly fine, for times when you need yet longer zoom reach, and/or will be working only in the telephoto range for what you are doing. Its zoom range is comparable to a lens of 75-300mm on a 35mm film body.

Last edited by mikesbike; 12-15-2017 at 12:35 AM.