Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2017, 05:36 PM   #1
Forum Member

this card is electronically locked

Hi,

Yesterday while taking photos with my K5 and ultima pro 16GB card i got "memory card error" displayed on my K5 screen, the card was almost full, so i tried to delete a couple of photos. When I tried to delete the photos it displayed
" this card is electronically locked". I see there was an old thread with this topic, but wondered if anyone has been able to rescue the photos from a card with this error.

The camera does not show any photos from this card on the screen now, when i put the card into my windows 7 laptop i can`t find any way to see the card. If i put a different card into my laptop it shows up ok.

I guess the card is fried, i have tried rescue pro to get the photos off the card, but i can`t get the laptop to aknowledge the card has been inserted into the card reader, i also tried
a different card reader.

I tried disk management to locate the card. Also when putting a new card into a camera for the first time, is it necessary to format the card, or just
go ahead and start shooting?

thanks

Last edited by scotty1; 12-12-2017 at 05:40 PM. Reason: info
12-12-2017, 05:50 PM - 1 Like   #2
Forum Member

There is a small button on the sd card, try to move it
12-12-2017, 05:54 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Before giving up, you might try:

1) carefully cleaning the contacts of the card.

2) trying other rescue software (search the forums for ideas and know some people have had good success with different recovery applications.)

3) try flipping the lock tab on the card to the lock position and see if that changes anything. (It's sounds crazy but if the card got into a weird glitch state, it might not be letting anything else write to it. But if you lock the card, then the camera or PC won't try to write anything, won't encounter a write error, and won't give up on the card.)

Good luck!

P.S. Yes, it is best to format a new card using your camera's format card command to maximize reliability of that card.
12-12-2017, 07:16 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by scotty1 Quote
Hi,

I tried disk management to locate the card. Also when putting a new card into a camera for the first time, is it necessary to format the card, or just
go ahead and start shooting?

thanks
Definitely, I forgot once and paid the price with a bunch of corrupted photos. I format my cards every time I download photos off of them.

12-12-2017, 08:04 PM - 1 Like   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You normally don't need to format before using the card in the camera for the first time.

If the card isn't being recognized by any device, I would recommend taking it to a data recovery center for the best chance of rescuing your photos. Such places may be able to address any hardware failure that may have taken place (though they're generally not cheap).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-12-2017, 09:30 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
2) trying other rescue software (search the forums for ideas and know some people have had good success with different recovery applications.)
Try Transcend's RecoverRX, unlike RescuePRO it's not very picky with what it recovers. I had a "dead" SD card that no other program would recognize or recover and RecoverRX recovered not only the current files on the card but also long deleted files.
It was also able to recover everything and long ago deleted files on a fried SSD from my desktop when nothing else could see it.
RecoverRX is a free download from Transcend's Website.

Glenn
12-13-2017, 03:17 AM - 1 Like   #7

If the card is fried to the point where the hardware and BIOS on the computer won't recognize or attach the card there isn't much that software recovery programs can do since they have to go through the BIOS layer to access the card. No harm in trying though.
12-17-2017, 01:18 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for your help everyone, as mentioned above if the card is not recognised by the computer, it`s not able to recover any photos. I thought it was worth asking as their may of been someone who had a similar fault.

I did try the Transcend's RecoverRX but kept getting error msg, that i need to save to a different disc.(your saved path is identical to your recovery disk) I tried disc C then D and making new folders, it still doesn`t get past step 2 in the setup. It has not detected the memory card so....

Ok i plugged in an external HDD to recover files from the memory card, the software still cant find the memory card so at least i tried a few options.

thanks again

scotty1

Last edited by scotty1; 12-17-2017 at 03:05 PM. Reason: info
12-17-2017, 02:33 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi

There is a chance the card is set to hidden and has lost the ability to allocate a drive letter because of this.
I am using EaseUs Partition Master, one of the most useful disk management tool anyone should have.

I bet PartitionMaster will see the card and if it does give you a chance to set it to unhide and then a drive letter can be allocated.
Program is cheap, worth a try.
12-20-2017, 06:26 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi

There is a chance the card is set to hidden and has lost the ability to allocate a drive letter because of this.
I am using EaseUs Partition Master, one of the most useful disk management tool anyone should have.

I bet PartitionMaster will see the card and if it does give you a chance to set it to unhide and then a drive letter can be allocated.
Program is cheap, worth a try.

I tried the free version of EaseUs recovery but it didn`t see the memory card.