Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2017, 08:03 AM   #1

K3 won't trigger external flash?

I'm new to shooting with an external flash. I set up my K3 to successfully take photos with an external flash, but all of a sudden it's stopped triggering the external flash. I double-checked that the built-in pop-up flash is working and it is. I can't see that I've changed any of my camera's settings, but I suspect that I may just have selected the wrong options? The external flash is definitely seated all the way into the hot shoe, i.e. it's not disconnected.

I would really appreciate it if anyone can provide insight into what options I need to confirm as being setup appropriately for the flash to be triggered.

12-14-2017, 08:22 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Does the flash fire when the test button is depressed? if so then check your setting and you might try cleaning the contacts
12-14-2017, 09:25 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AME Quote
I'm new to shooting with an external flash. I set up my K3 to successfully take photos with an external flash, but all of a sudden it's stopped triggering the external flash. I double-checked that the built-in pop-up flash is working and it is. I can't see that I've changed any of my camera's settings, but I suspect that I may just have selected the wrong options? The external flash is definitely seated all the way into the hot shoe, i.e. it's not disconnected.

I would really appreciate it if anyone can provide insight into what options I need to confirm as being setup appropriately for the flash to be triggered.
What are your camera settings? You do know that Pentax dslrs won't fire the flash if the shutter speed is set faster than 1/180, don't you?
12-14-2017, 10:06 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Possible answers to why the flash will not fire include:
  • Flash is not able to fire due to fault or low batteries (check with test button on flash)
  • Shutter speed is above the x-sync speed (1/180s for your camera)
  • Fault in the hot shoe
The first two are the most likely with the second being common. Exceeding the x-sync speed happens when using a non-dedicated flash and the shutter speed is set to higher than 1/180s. When using a dedicated* flash the body will enforce flash sync rules and will not allow higher than 1/180s unless the flash supports high speed sync (HSS). If the flash is not dedicated, the user is responsible that the shutter speed is at or below 1/180s.

Steve

* Pentax or other brand flash capable of signalling the body that the flash is turned on and ready. This requires an additional contact on the flash hot-shoe in addition to the trigger contact.

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-14-2017 at 01:50 PM.
12-14-2017, 12:08 PM   #5
Pentaxian

You wrote that the pop-up flash was working, (making me think you were using this as the triggering flash), but then you contradicted that but saying that the external flash was seated fully in the hotshoe .....

We really need to know exactly what flashes you are using in what role, and the operating mode ...eg are you using Wireless (Optical) P-TTL or "dumb slave" type triggering?

If you are using the pop-up flash as control/master then the Camera Flash mode must be set to Wireless.