Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2017, 03:44 AM   #1
Junior Member




Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: new york
Posts: 30
Pentax k-x shutter after speedlight flash

Hi guys
i'm trying to get into speedlights off camera with my k-x
The speedlight goes off before the shutter click.
There is some kind of lag going on.
I'm using a pentax k-x with a 20mm 2.0 lens
manual mode
pentax flash menu is set to 2 controller
i'm using a new viltrox speedlight i just got from ebay
the speedlight is in slave mode
another issue is the pentax k-x won't go to wireless on the flash button menu, it's greyed out.
Can somebody please help.
Thanks

12-15-2017, 04:17 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
pschlute's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Surrey, UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,189
QuoteOriginally posted by pwrlogic Quote
The speedlight goes off before the shutter click.
There is some kind of lag going on.
It sounds like your speedlight is firing on the Pre-flash emitted by the Kx built in flash.

QuoteOriginally posted by pwrlogic Quote
I'm using a pentax k-x with a 20mm 2.0 lens
Which lens ?

QuoteOriginally posted by pwrlogic Quote
another issue is the pentax k-x won't go to wireless on the flash button menu, it's greyed out.
See this from the Kx manual p166 :

"When the drive mode is set to Remote Control (3s delay),or the lens aperture is not set to the "A" position, wireless flashcannot be selected." Does your lens have an "A" position ?

---------- Post added 12-15-17 at 11:24 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pwrlogic Quote
pentax flash menu is set to 2 controller
Controller/Master settings will I believe only work when you are using the built in flash to fire a P-TTL compatible flash unit such as pentax AF 360/540 (or other that are compatible). Not sure if your speedlight can do this. Either way, if you are not able to put the camera into wireless mode it will make no difference what setting you select for Controller/Master, as the on boardflash will simply be firing in P-TTL mode, and as i said above your slave unit will be firing on the pre-flash, not the main flash.

Last edited by pschlute; 12-15-2017 at 04:26 AM.
12-15-2017, 04:27 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 47,354
A good old cord should get everything working for you. Otherwise, for proper wireless functionality you'd need a pttl off camera flash.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-15-2017, 04:29 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 11,272
You haven't provided many details, Pwrlogic, but I'm going to make a guess.

You didn't buy a flash that was Pentax P-TTL compatible.

It's going off as Pschlute says, not when the K-x's shutter and real flash go off, but when the calibration *pre-flash* does.

If the manual to your Viltrox says it can ignore a first flash, you need to change it into that slave mode.

12-15-2017, 05:21 AM   #5
Junior Member




Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: new york
Posts: 30
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
A good old cord should get everything working for you. Otherwise, for proper wireless functionality you'd need a pttl off camera flash.
Thank you to all trying to help out.
The lens is an smc pentax 1:2
i don't see anything about an 'A' position.
I am trying to use the speedlighht off cam not on,
so how do i make the speedlight flash with the shutter,
is it because i'm not using the kit lens?

---------- Post added 12-15-17 at 07:43 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
You haven't provided many details, Pwrlogic, but I'm going to make a guess.

You didn't buy a flash that was Pentax P-TTL compatible.

It's going off as Pschlute says, not when the K-x's shutter and real flash go off, but when the calibration *pre-flash* does.

If the manual to your Viltrox says it can ignore a first flash, you need to change it into that slave mode.
yea thanks i am trying to figure that out now
i've had it on slave mode
there must be something i'm missing
gonna try again
thanks
12-15-2017, 05:44 AM   #6
Pentaxian
amoringello's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Virginia, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,533
QuoteOriginally posted by pwrlogic Quote
so how do i make the speedlight flash with the shutter,
is it because i'm not using the kit lens?
Hopefully the configuration to ignore pre-flash works. I have yet to see this work very well. Hopefully you have better luck with that flash.

Alternatively, you have a couple of other options.
1) get a cheap non-pttl flash mounted on top of your hot-shoe. (i.e. has only the one hot-shoe pin)
I found a small one at a garage sale for a quarter years ago.
This will not involve any PTTL metering pre-flashes and will not confuse other non-pttl flashes.
Naturally, everything is manual.

2) in a similar vein, get a wireless tigger system.
Since most do not know about PTTL, the trigger will only fire in sync with the shutter.
You'd naturally need a wireless transmitter for your hotshoe, and a receiver for your flash(es).
Again, the flash would need to be operated manually.


FYI,
If you're willing to invest the money on a wireless system, you might look into Cactus and some others that handle PTTL as well.
12-15-2017, 05:50 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 13,772
QuoteOriginally posted by pwrlogic Quote
Thank you to all trying to help out.
The lens is an smc pentax 1:2
i don't see anything about an 'A' position.
I am trying to use the speedlighht off cam not on,
so how do i make the speedlight flash with the shutter,
is it because i'm not using the kit lens?
The wireless mode is for Pentax compatible control of the flash. That flash we think is just generic not Pentax specific. In the mode you are in it fires when the flash sends out a small light pulse to measure the scene. If the flash has an option to use more than one slave setting, try the other settings, one of them may ignore the initial preflash. You should also check to see if the camera can be put into manual flash mode, and if that mode can turn off preflash one of these ideas should get the unit firing, but it will be an all manual setup, the flash exposure will need to be adjusted at the flash itself. Also the onboard flash will likely contribute to the exposure.

If you want true wireless use, there are many options depending on how much control you need and the flashes you want to use. A simple pair of Yognuo triggers is one of the cheapest options:


The 603n trigger (for Nikon) version works on Pentax. No power level controls, just firing.
12-15-2017, 05:58 AM   #8
Junior Member




Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: new york
Posts: 30
Original Poster
well as of right now i'm just frustrated cause i've drained all of my batteries trying to figure this out.
Oh God how i hate the k-x AA battery usage.
i know i need to upgrade soon.
I'll try to figure out how to get the speedlite to ignore preflash, if it even does it.
thanks all!!

12-15-2017, 06:07 AM   #9
Pentaxian
swanlefitte's Avatar

Join Date: May 2015
Location: New Orleans
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,444
If there are 2 slave modes one usually ignores pre flash. If not the recycling time at low power might be fast enough to fire on both pre and real flash. Full power takes seconds to recycle so to slow by far.
12-15-2017, 07:00 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2015
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,259
QuoteOriginally posted by pwrlogic Quote
Oh God how i hate the k-x AA battery usage.
It has its upsides and downsides. The upside is that in extremis you can find batteries for it almost anywhere, put them in the camera, and fire it. The downside is that if you use non-rechargeables, it eats them at a furious rate. I faced the same dilemma when going from the *istDL to something better. I considered the K-30 precisely because it shared the *istDL's power logistics, but I went for the K-5 in the end because it was simply the better camera. I bought a second OEM battery with it, and have had no issues since.
12-15-2017, 08:10 AM   #11
Pentaxian
E-man's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 521
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
It has its upsides and downsides. The upside is that in extremis you can find batteries for it almost anywhere, put them in the camera, and fire it. The downside is that if you use non-rechargeables, it eats them at a furious rate. I faced the same dilemma when going from the *istDL to something better. I considered the K-30 precisely because it shared the *istDL's power logistics, but I went for the K-5 in the end because it was simply the better camera. I bought a second OEM battery with it, and have had no issues since.
I use either Energizer Lithiums (non-rechargeable) or Eneloops in my bodies that take AA batteries (K-x, K30, K200D) and have had no problems with short battery life. My K30 seems to prefer the aforementioned AA batteries to its proprietary rechargeable battery pack in terms of longevity.
12-15-2017, 10:23 AM   #12
Junior Member




Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: new york
Posts: 30
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by E-man Quote
I use either Energizer Lithiums (non-rechargeable) or Eneloops in my bodies that take AA batteries (K-x, K30, K200D) and have had no problems with short battery life. My K30 seems to prefer the aforementioned AA batteries to its proprietary rechargeable battery pack in terms of longevity.
ok thanks i will give those a try.
I still can not get rid of the three second lag.
i tried it on slave 1 and two
i',m just about ready to give up.
i just don't understand it.
the manual says slave 1 should ignore the pre flash but for me slave 1 does not work.
thanks for your help all.

---------- Post added 12-15-17 at 12:26 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The wireless mode is for Pentax compatible control of the flash. That flash we think is just generic not Pentax specific. In the mode you are in it fires when the flash sends out a small light pulse to measure the scene. If the flash has an option to use more than one slave setting, try the other settings, one of them may ignore the initial preflash. You should also check to see if the camera can be put into manual flash mode, and if that mode can turn off preflash one of these ideas should get the unit firing, but it will be an all manual setup, the flash exposure will need to be adjusted at the flash itself. Also the onboard flash will likely contribute to the exposure.

If you want true wireless use, there are many options depending on how much control you need and the flashes you want to use. A simple pair of Yognuo triggers is one of the cheapest options:

How to use the Yongnuo RF-603 N Wireless Flash Shutter Triggers - YouTube

The 603n trigger (for Nikon) version works on Pentax. No power level controls, just firing.
ok i'm going to ebay to look for triggers for the pentax. i hope i can find something compatible.
all of this is a headache!!
12-15-2017, 11:06 AM   #13
Pentaxian
mcgregni's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Surrey, England
Posts: 2,365
"3 second lag" ??? Could you explain that more , that sounds bizarre.

Also you'll need an autofocus lens, or at least an A series type (with aperture ring set to A) in order to use the Wireless modes on your camera. The advantage of "Wireless Control" mode is that the pop-up flash won't contribute direct harsh light onto the subject. You need these lens types anyway for P-TTL, but if you just want the light from the slave then control mode is the way to go ......however your slave seems to be having trouble picking up the main flash to sync with. This sort of thing is not always a guarantee. He camera does not have Manual Flash mode (this wasn't introduced until the K3), so you're limited to P-TTL (and the consequent pre-flashes) on your camera .

As said by others, you might be better trying a simple Radio Manual trigger set.
12-15-2017, 12:31 PM   #14
Junior Member




Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: new york
Posts: 30
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
It has its upsides and downsides. The upside is that in extremis you can find batteries for it almost anywhere, put them in the camera, and fire it. The downside is that if you use non-rechargeables, it eats them at a furious rate. I faced the same dilemma when going from the *istDL to something better. I considered the K-30 precisely because it shared the *istDL's power logistics, but I went for the K-5 in the end because it was simply the better camera. I bought a second OEM battery with it, and have had no issues since.
hi thanks for commenting
i'm seriously eyeing the lumix G7 but i have a investment in pentax and i don't need another learning curve.
I can't even get a flash t work so i cant imagine learning a new dslr os LOL!

---------- Post added 12-15-17 at 02:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
"3 second lag" ??? Could you explain that more , that sounds bizarre.

Also you'll need an autofocus lens, or at least an A series type (with aperture ring set to A) in order to use the Wireless modes on your camera. The advantage of "Wireless Control" mode is that the pop-up flash won't contribute direct harsh light onto the subject. You need these lens types anyway for P-TTL, but if you just want the light from the slave then control mode is the way to go ......however your slave seems to be having trouble picking up the main flash to sync with. This sort of thing is not always a guarantee. He camera does not have Manual Flash mode (this wasn't introduced until the K3), so you're limited to P-TTL (and the consequent pre-flashes) on your camera .

As said by others, you might be better trying a simple Radio Manual trigger set.
Hi thanks for commenting.
the 50mm 1:2 lens is an old SMC
maybe that is an issue.
I'm going to try the flash with my k-x kit lens.
If that does not work i'll just have to buy the triggers.
jeez more money!
12-15-2017, 01:22 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2015
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,259
QuoteOriginally posted by E-man Quote
I use either Energizer Lithiums (non-rechargeable) or Eneloops in my bodies that take AA batteries
Yes, well, granted, those are a special case.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, control, exposure, flash, k-x, lens, light, menu, mode, options, p-ttl, pentax, pentax help, pentax k-x shutter, photography, position, pre-flash, preflash, shutter, shutter after speedlight, slave, speedlight, thanks, triggers, troubleshooting
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Flash modifiers - anyone try the Lastolite Ezybox Speedlight 2. Saltwater Images Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 5 06-05-2017 10:20 AM
Speedlight flash not firing at fast shutter speeds?? genesmasher Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 25 01-12-2016 10:15 AM
Pentax AF-540FGZ Flash Speedlight w/ included TR-3 Battery Pack and Diffuser $275 pete-tarmigan Pentax Price Watch 3 10-21-2013 05:32 AM
Flash YN460 Speedlight 460 f Shan13 Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 2 01-03-2010 10:10 PM
Nikon SB-24 Speedlight Flash mi2nc Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 3 01-26-2009 04:35 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:48 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top